PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bad survey report and what happens next

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:at G_M's comment about "only taking 3 minutes to start a family":rotfl:
    OK OK - I confess. I have a tendency to exaggerate about these things.......
  • Thanks @G_M isn't it about 4 minutes if you include taking socks off?! :D

Lots of other people are also saying it's not too bad, so think we're gonna get some quotes done and take it from there...

Will update as soon as we know more! Cheers everyone!
  • G_M
    It's winter. Who takes their socks off!? Or gloves come to that.....
  • @G_M very true! :D

So, after spending today arranging builder, plumber and electrician to do quotes, found out the lender won't lend on it so that makes things a bit easier haha!

Estate Agent is a bit miffed and is currently speaking to our advisor to find out the whys and why not put a retention thingy on it instead (I don't even really know what that means).

He also asked me to send him the report, which I understand is a no-no - right?
  • G_M
    drewbydoo wrote: »
    He also asked me to send him the report, which I understand is a no-no - right?
    If you are pulling out of the purchase (or rather, being pulled out by your lender) I don't see wat harm there is in letting the agent/seller see the report.

It's no longer of any value to you.

Depends how helpful you feel like being.

It's when a purchase is ongoing that yiu have to be careful about showing your hand, as it might influence price negoiations etc.
  • A Mortgage Retention is where your lender agrees to lend on the property, but keeps back, ie retains, some of the money (the value of the repairs) until you have confirmed to the lender that you have carried out the repairs. So in that scenario, you would have to find an alternative means of finding the cash to buy the property, and then fund the repairs, before the mortgage company would give you the full amount of cash they agreed to lend you in the first place.
    One of the reasons why sometimes these sorts of properties only go to cash buyers.
  • Ok cool, thanks - I'll wait until we've 100% pulled out before I send it, just in case there's any kind of swing around in the lending (although I doubt it!)
  • @pinklady21 Oh I see, thanks for explaining! Blimey, this is all so much fun haha!
  • G_M
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:18PM
    drewbydoo wrote: »
    .... Blimey, this is all so much fun haha!
    yeah but 3 minutes is over in a flash...... (well, a bang. Or a pop.)
  • Quick update! We had a builder, a roofer, and a couple of electricians come to the property and give us quotes - no where near as bad as the survey was making out! So looks like this house is still a goer - yay! Just waiting to here back from the original lender now to see if they'll accept a new valuation minus the extension (the reason the surveyor wouldn't value it in the first place) and if not, we'll be changing lender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure