Pension growth 2.8% 17-18..

My Aviva policy has grown 2.8% from Mar to March 2017-2018. That doesn't sound like a lot...yet when I looked at I saw on Moneyfacts that this is way above average (0.5%) if I'm doing my sums correctly .. & so long as I'm looking at the correct metric?
->
http://moneyfacts.co.uk/news/pensions/2018-sees-dent-in-pension-fund-performance/

My S&S ISA did better than 2.8% but of course it isn't tax free.

Comments

• MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,442
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It depends what it's invested in tbh - and what exactly moneyfacts means by "average pension fund"
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,074
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

What do you mean its not tax free ? You may have funded it from taxed income, but any gains you make are tax free.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Without knowing how your Aviva policy is invested it's impossible to comment on it's growth. My self directed retirement fund grew 10.5% from Mar 2017 to Mar 2018, but is probably radically different from the Aviva pension.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You may have funded it from taxed income, but any gains you make are tax free.

When they money is drawn apart from the 25% tax free but, it's subject to income tax isn't it? So personal allowance per annnum will be tax free but the rest will be taxed at basic rate?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There was a drop in the markets late 2017/early 2018 which most recovered in the 18/19 tax year. So, a low return in the 17/18 tax year would not be unexpected.

Assuming you mean not tax free in that you have paid income tax before making a contribution. However, whether it is an S&S ISA or a pension does not matter. You can hold the same investments in both. So, returns would be the same.

If there is a significant difference over exactly the same dates (and that is important) then chances are its down to risk differences more than anything else.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • NoMore
    NoMore Posts: 1,074
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    When they money is drawn apart from the 25% tax free but, it's subject to income tax isn't it? So personal allowance per annnum will be tax free but the rest will be taxed at basic rate?

I was referring to the OP's assertion about his ISA not his pension. Withdrawals from his ISA aren't classed as income and are fully tax free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure