Advice needed on portfolio pls

Options

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's small beer but I hope you're contributing £2,880 (net) to a pension for your wife. Also smallish beer, but is your wife making maximum use of current accounts and regular savers that pay 5% p.a.? Stronger beer: have you considered gold as a diversifier at 5% perhaps of portfolio value? Sovereigns are free of CGT and if you don't have a safety deposit or somewhere else safe to keep them you could always use the storage vaults of a supplier. I'm tempted by the Royal Mint. Or there are ways of keeping gold within SIPPs.

What is the CGT position if you simply gift half your company shares to your wife? If there's no CGT to pay then the pair of you can sell them down at twice the pace and still avoid CGT.

Update: the answer.
    https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/gifts
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • JTT74
    JTT74 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Yes on the small beer stuff, trying to use all the advantages of wife not working.

In terms of my investments, where should i invest further money, i have 90k sitting in cash in my offset mortgage so only benefitting from 1.89% effective interest...?

I’d like to get that money working harder for me.

Thx
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JTT74 wrote: »
    Yes on the small beer stuff, trying to use all the advantages of wife not working.

In terms of my investments, where should i invest further money, i have 90k sitting in cash in my offset mortgage so only benefitting from 1.89% effective interest...?

I’d like to get that money working harder for me.

Thx

Then you'll have to take a risk with it. Is that something you are prepared to do?

Perhaps if i restate your point, its "I am benefiting from 1.89% risk free tax free interest free return. Should i gamble with that?
  • JTT74
    Options
    At least some of it, yes.

Some potentially more cautious investments to yield somewhere in region of 5%p.a. I would consider
  • kidmugsy
    edited 20 June 2018 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Investment allocation is essentially guesswork. Minimising costs and taxes isn't. For example, suppose the two of you are going to use your CGT exemptions to sell off single-company shares as quickly as possible. Therefore your wife should be aiming to get interest and dividends that use her Personal Allowance, her Interest on Savings Allowance, her Dividends Allowance and her Starting Rate for Savings Allowance. In particular note that it's currently much easier to get high interest rates on cash outside Cash ISAs.

Therefore there's a case for your pension money and ISA money being entirely in equities, with any fixed interest or cash being held by your wife outside tax-shelters. There's also a case for passing lots of capital to your wife and her buying a BTL. (I think that the great days of BTL have probably passed, but if it retains any investment merit it's probably for non-taxpayers.)

Or, could she buy a property to use as a holiday let? The income from that is classed as earnings and so can be used to justify a higher pension contribution by her.
  • JTT74
    Options
    Yes we have a BTL for a few years and am currently in process of transferring this to her name for tax purposes etc !!!55357;!!!56842;
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    It's small beer but I hope you're contributing £2,880 (net) to a pension for your wife. Also smallish beer, but is your wife making maximum use of current accounts and regular savers that pay 5% p.a.? Stronger beer: have you considered gold as a diversifier at 5% perhaps of portfolio value? Sovereigns are free of CGT and if you don't have a safety deposit or somewhere else safe to keep them you could always use the storage vaults of a supplier. I'm tempted by the Royal Mint. Or there are ways of keeping gold within SIPPs.

What is the CGT position if you simply gift half your company shares to your wife? If there's no CGT to pay then the pair of you can sell them down at twice the pace and still avoid CGT.

Update: the answer.
    https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/gifts

before tranferring everything to partner its worth considering in the event of a breakup it will be harder to recover and also you need to make sure your interested are protected e.g. keeping assets abroad/wider family etc.
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    I've never understood why gifting your wife a lump of capital is held to be riskier than a divorce court judge handing her the same lump of capital.
  • JTT74
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    There's also a case for passing lots of capital to your wife and her buying a BTL. (I think that the great days of BTL have probably passed, but if it retains any investment merit it's probably for non-taxpayers.)

It might not be as fruitful as in the past, but the most value from BTL come from the capital growth of the asset, not the income. so even with changes to tax treatment of mortgage interest if the property is growing in value, that's what counts.
    oh and 2nd home stamp duty is pretty rubbish for getting in now..
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    JTT74 wrote: »
    if the property is growing in value, that's what counts.

If. Perhaps. Maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family