Never had a job and I feel resigned to the idea that I never will. I seem to be unemployable

Options
1235»

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there anything like a free newspaper in your area which needs delivery people? Or a company looking for people to deliver leaflets or charity bags? If you don't mind a good walk and can handle the interaction of a few people who may decline the leaflets, good reliable conscientious delivery people are always in demand from leaflet delivery companies as there is quite a turnover of staff. Start there and see where it may lead? A lot of it will involve organising yourself without having to interact with fellow workers.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• fiisch
    fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    As Savvy_Sue says, so say I. Other people have commented on the high quality of your written English... Have you seen some of the posts on this forum? I am not referring to those from posters whose first language is not English, I mean those from people who seem to have slept through every English lesson they ever bothered to attend.

Totally agree - very coherent and articulate post, and clearly has a flair for writing. If nothing else, have you thought of writing a book and publishing on Kindle? I am not suggesting this as an alternative to finding work, but self-publishing an e-book will give your self-esteem a boost.

I've managed a couple of (non-fiction) books under a pseudonym. I've sold a grand total of about 15 books, but it's a nice feeling and gives you a sense of accomplishment! :D

I disagree with a suggestion of volunteering. Your time is valuable, and you should be rewarded accordingly. For me, I see volunteering as giving back while/after you have earned a living. It is unlikely to help find a way into work. If your area has poor employment figures, have you considered the possibility of relocating? Have you looked at local apprenticeship schemes?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 June 2018 at 6:36AM
    Options
    fiisch wrote: »

I disagree with a suggestion of volunteering. Your time is valuable, and you should be rewarded accordingly. For me, I see volunteering as giving back while/after you have earned a living. It is unlikely to help find a way into work.

And I disagree with this. In the OP's case this is about getting some confidence, a routine, interacting with people, learning skills etc. Volunteering also makes you feel better about yourself and, you know, you are actually helping people which is always a good thing to do, whatever your age. It is a stepping stone,

Most volunteers are of retirement age, it's true. Where I volunteer that is very much the situation - we do have students and people who are job seeking, though. We've got a pretty good track record of our volunteers of working age getting employment. Always sad to see them go but happy for them. I'd say the major thing they get out of it which helps them in their job search is confidence - plus getting back into the routine. Some have been out of work a long time.

It also looks good on the CV.
  • Sir_Robin
    Sir_Robin Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2018 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Are you sure you have no skills or interests you might want to persue?
    The problem with these entry level jobs is that because no specific skill is needed the job ends up going to the person that exudes self confidence. You would have a better chance going for jobs that require a certain skill.

Either way the first step is to go to the interviews. As many as it takes, you will get better at them and the anxiety does fade.

Also sign on at the job center it is not scary as the staff are just box tickers with no interest in you, just be polite and help them tick their boxes and there is no problem. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you will have no regrets when you get a job see how much you are being taxed to fund these safety nets.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have friends that are in employment & have autism. My son autistic.

It is not impossible- you are clearly intelligent, articulate & literate. I think one of your major hurdles is your own lack of self esteem/ belief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure