Options
2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    It's in your interest to co-operate fully with the insurance company, otherwise they might not pay out. Can you afford to pay Amazon for the cost of the parcels that were stolen whilst in your care?
    Not only that, if you don't cooperate with the insurance company, they will conclude that you were involved and could quite reasonably report their suspicions to the police, who have presumably been informed and if there's been a spate of incidents in that area may even investigate. I'd recommend full cooperation with them as well.

BTW, someone I know had problems when reporting the theft of their motorbike to their insurance company. One of the follow-up phone conversations had to be terminated because there were building works, with pneumatic drills, going on outside the room from which the claimant was speaking. The insurer said that because they couldn't hear properly (through no fault of the claimant), they were going to end the call and ring back later. If the later call was also disturbed then they might declare the claim void.

Not only that, but because the claimant said they had gone out looking for the bike locally - there are a couple of places near us where bikes are often 'dumped' - the insurer was very suspicious and thought the claimant had been involved in the theft, or had dumped the bike because of mechanical problems. They hadn't, but it took some time to 'pass' the phone conversations: some insurance companies use software to analyse your voice and see if you sound truthful. Don't ask me how it works, but it happens.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2018 at 6:47AM
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    Won't they be claiming off your van insurance rather than their own?

What does the thief's passport got to do with it?

E

Amazon use service providing companies who cover specific postal codes. These contractors then "employ" self employed contractors on £100 to £130 a day.

The deliver drivers rent a (Renault) van off their "Employer" which is insured for about £150 a week

The driver pays for fuel etc

If you do delivery work in the future join this union, I am helping a friend with a case which IWGB are pursuing for him. They really don't like "fake" self employment employers.

You may find they give you some advice if you call them even as a non member
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

BTW, someone I know had problems when reporting the theft of their motorbike to their insurance company. One of the follow-up phone conversations had to be terminated because there were building works, with pneumatic drills, going on outside the room from which the claimant was speaking. The insurer said that because they couldn't hear properly (through no fault of the claimant), they were going to end the call and ring back later. If the later call was also disturbed then they might declare the claim void.

Not only that, but because the claimant said they had gone out looking for the bike locally - there are a couple of places near us where bikes are often 'dumped' - the insurer was very suspicious and thought the claimant had been involved in the theft, or had dumped the bike because of mechanical problems. They hadn't, but it took some time to 'pass' the phone conversations: some insurance companies use software to analyse your voice and see if you sound truthful. Don't ask me how it works, but it happens.

They either use software to detect variations in the voice or more often highly trained staff who are trained in "Cognitive Interview Techniques" (The same process police use).

It involves asking the policyholder to describe the what happened, whilst listening the interviewer will ask seemingly unrelated questions eg what clothes were you wearing etc. They will then ask the P/H to recall the cirumstances in full again whilst asking other detailed seemingly unrelated questions.

They will then re ask the unrelated questions again and also asks for passages of the circumstances to be repeated.

Someone who has made up a story will have thought of answers to questions they are expecting but will have not have thought of more indepth answers. They will also make changes to the story when repeating it multiple times.

The interviewers are trained to detect this and to ask further questions around the answers they suspect are made up.

It sounds scarey but it does not catch out people telling the truth.

This is why they wanted a telephone call without distractions as the call lasts about 45 minutes and to they want both parties to not be distracted
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 June 2018 at 8:36AM
    Options
    Actually to be fair to the OP the last time England played Romania at football both teams wore plain white kit because it was deemed so easy to tell them apart there was no need to differentiate.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Actually to be fair to the OP the last time England played Romania at football both teams wore plain white kit because it was deemed so easy to tell them apart there was no need to differentiate.

Jesus I actually had to go look this up because I couldnt believe it.

Did you know gullible isnt in the dictionary??
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Did you know gullible isnt in the dictionary??

There's only one response to that...sausage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJOof96nVE
  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    I don't very often post nowadays but, having spent many years contracting to a national parcel company, feel qualified to make a few comments here.

I have plenty of stories about courier drivers stealing from other drivers loads in the depot and operating in cahoots with other people in "arranged" thefts, as well as genuine robberies. In fact, one of my colleagues was actually murdered in the course of his van being stolen and, although the robbers were both given life sentences I am sure that was scant consolation.

As the keys have disappeared with the van I cannot imagine the insurers paying out for either the van or the stolen consignments and I would expect the OP to be sued on both counts.

In the unlikely event that the culprits are caught they are quite likely to implicate the OP by saying the keys were handed over for a cut of the proceeds. May sound harsh but it happens.

The more the OP plays"hardball" with the investigation the more they are likely to fall under suspicion.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    A good piece of advice is when you're in a hole, stop digging. You are talking utter codswallop, and the more times you say it the more foolish you make yourself look.

I wonder if they can spot someone with dual Turkish/British nationality?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't these parcel companies fit their vans with a tracker
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    Don't these parcel companies fit their vans with a tracker

Some do, some don't.
This discussion has been closed.