Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• 07Rogers
    07Rogers Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Do they have a app or is the website good for submitting meter readings?
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    07Rogers wrote: »

From looking at OFTM website, seems very much no frills, they have taken our meter readings automatically thus far, via the Smart Meter, which will become redundant as of 3rd April - I do all the folks dealings online, but parents will have to take meter readings on the 3rd or 4th of each month.

All going smooth thus far.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    07Rogers wrote: »

i very much doubt they have an app - their website looks like it was home built and is very very basic but i would prefer lower costs than gimmics like fancy website, apps or cashback which usually will add to either unit prices or standing charges
  • handygrandad
    Options
    I joined OTM in December 2017, and was keen to get an accurate first statement. When I tried to enter my meter readings the website would not accept them. I used the "chat" link and got a quick apology and they took my readings through the link. I submitted further readings in January and February which were accepted.

In early March, I used the "chat" link to complain, that I had not received a statement since joining. I received an apology, and was sent two statements by email. Unfortunately, both statements used "estimated" closing readings, which meant they were of little use. Neither of these statements appeared on the website, so my running balance just showed the total of my direct debits as though no statements had been issued, so this was obviously incorrect !

The staff I have contacted are quick to apologise and keen to help, but as in other similar circumstances, there is little they can do or say about processing errors, or technical failures.

OTM might be the cheapest deal available, but my experience so far does not instil confidence. I think my next switch will be to a well established supplier with good feedback, even if that costs me a little more. At the moment I have been with OTM for nearly three months, and I have no idea if I am "actually" in credit, or in debt ... ... .... and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it !
  • Steve_RS
    Options
    Well, after receiving my latest bill from NPower, stating that they are 'upping' the DD payment by £12/month (from £120 to £132). decided to finally do something about it. Got quotes from the big energy companies via their websites using the annual kwh figures on my bill. Cheapest was about £101/month. Thought £31/month was a good saving.

Then stumbled across MSE cheap energy comparison site. Boom. Outfox the market at £80/month. (£52/month saving) Got to be worth a punt. Read a few reviews, seems to be having teething troubles (dont all small cheap companies?).

Website seems cheap (but so are the prices... lol)

I've signed up. (Not that there's anything to sign!) Received a confirmation email. Apparently they will take care of everything. All I have to do is read the meter and submit it...

So far so good. Will update my review when i know more.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I joined OTM in December 2017, and was keen to get an accurate first statement. When I tried to enter my meter readings the website would not accept them. I used the "chat" link and got a quick apology and they took my readings through the link. I submitted further readings in January and February which were accepted.

In early March, I used the "chat" link to complain, that I had not received a statement since joining. I received an apology, and was sent two statements by email. Unfortunately, both statements used "estimated" closing readings, which meant they were of little use. Neither of these statements appeared on the website, so my running balance just showed the total of my direct debits as though no statements had been issued, so this was obviously incorrect !

The staff I have contacted are quick to apologise and keen to help, but as in other similar circumstances, there is little they can do or say about processing errors, or technical failures.

OTM might be the cheapest deal available, but my experience so far does not instil confidence. I think my next switch will be to a well established supplier with good feedback, even if that costs me a little more. At the moment I have been with OTM for nearly three months, and I have no idea if I am "actually" in credit, or in debt ... ... .... and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it !

Whilst I understand accurate meter readings are necessary to ensure billing is correct, the fact remains, as a consumer you can do your own calculations on all cost structures, which OFTM make simpler by cutting out standing charges and applying a membership fee only for Electricity - with six years of actual usage figures at my disposal, don't think OFTM can screw it up that much, particularly if the estimates you have used to get your monthly cost are realistic. My folk are on £85 a month, and, in a worse case scenario, will pay no more than £87 a month based on upper scale usage over 12 months. As long as folk can ensure that OFTM have at least correct quarterly readings, nothing much to complain about, but important to ensure meter readings are 100% when Switchover takes effect, which can be qualified 12 months later by checking cost structure with previous 12 months cost structure. Given our savings are large - First Utility wanting monthly payments of £106 for a 20 month fix, £85-87 averages are most agreeable.
  • donerkebab
    donerkebab Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    For those who switched from Iresa - how long before you got the switch emails - I am in credit still after the forced DD. I got 7 (yep 7 in a row) emails confirming electricity switch 5 days after starting the switch but still no confirmation of the gas (think this one is the important one with no member fee/standing charge)
    In the words of Jerry Maguire "SHOW ME THE MONEY"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    donerkebab wrote: »
    For those who switched from Iresa - how long before you got the switch emails - I am in credit still after the forced DD. I got 7 (yep 7 in a row) emails confirming electricity switch 5 days after starting the switch but still no confirmation of the gas (think this one is the important one with no member fee/standing charge)

Not all losing suppliers say anything during the transfer process. Normally, the gaining supplier will notify the consumer if the old supplier has blocked a transfer. For example, I have just switched to Octopus. My old supplier sent me an e-mail just before the end of the cooling off period with a sorry you are leaving message.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2018 at 12:21PM
    Options
    donerkebab wrote: »

I started my switch on 12 Feb. Provided final readings 23 Feb. Received E-mail from Iresa on 13 Mar to say they had received final Electricity reading. Final Bill should be produced in around 10 days! :rotfl: Nothing heard about Gas yet!

I have just noticed that I have not been sent any notification from Iresa to say that I wished to leave.

45 minutes of waiting 6 to 7 minutes for a response to a question. Have I made a mistake? OFTM confirms I have been live with them for Gas and Electricity since my switch date of 28 Feb. The last Email they sent was 23 Feb to say we are nearly there? When I asked if Iresa was aware of the switch see would only reply with "yes i can confirm your gas and electric is live with us"

Still waiting for a response to can you send me a confirmation E-mail. 18 minutes. Going to try the phone!

I am now chatting to OFTM to see what is going on.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• donerkebab
    donerkebab Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    I started my switch on 12 Feb. Provided final readings 23 Feb. Received E-mail from Iresa on 13 Mar to say they had received final Electricity reading. Final Bill should be produced in around 10 days! :rotfl: Nothing heard about Gas yet!

I have just noticed that I have not been sent any notification from Iresa to say that I wished to leave.

I am now chatting to OFTM to see what is going on.

The fact you already have final electricity bill is good news - the counter fact that you not heard anything regarding gas switch would concern me. Let me know what OFTM say - don't think I want to waste my Monday holding in the Iresa q this early (in the morning/my switch :rotfl:)
    In the words of Jerry Maguire "SHOW ME THE MONEY"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure