Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Comments

• Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,142
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 February 2018 at 7:54PM
    rebeccak wrote: »
    Is anyone other than British Gas offering boiler, heating, plumbing and electrical cover? On uswitch they are the only option that comes up - and I am already with British Gas (but paying double the quotes on uswitch as a 'loyal' customer).

I am no good at haggling but have managed to reduce some of my other outgoings by phoning my provider and telling them about specific better deals I could get from their competitors, resulting in a better offer from them.

With this, I can't challenge British Gas in a similar way if there aren't any competitors out there for this type of cover - and there is nowhere else for me to switch to either.

My only other option is to get home emergency cover added on my home insurance which isn't as comprehensive - I would prefer to pay more (within reason) to have a more comprehensive cover but just think British Gas are taking the mickey now.

You could get electric cover separately, I pay £5 a month to EDF for emergency protect, electric, plumbing etc with no excess so when I look for boiler cover I only need boiler and central heating. Used them once when my sink sprang a leak, came out same day and fixed it, premium hasn't gone up either.

I've looked for a better home insurance emergency cover but most seem to only cover the boiler during the winter which for me dodesn't provide much peace of mind.
    Sigless
  • dave_ave
    dave_ave Posts: 212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've just looked up https://www.bestpricefs.co.uk and at £91 a year that seems great value, compared to BG who want £342 this year just for boiler cover. Anyone tried https://www.bestpricefs.co.uk?
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,142
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dave_ave wrote: »
    I've just looked up www.bestpricefs.co.uk and at £91 a year that seems great value, compared to BG who want £342 this year just for boiler cover. Anyone tried www.bestpricefs.co.uk?

I asked the same, no replies so obviously not a well known company. No idea wether to go for it or not.
    Sigless
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've been looking at bestpricefs.co.uk too. It seems that this is purely for emergency cover - if your boiler/heating is off completely they will get you back up and running. They won't fix any other repairs I believe - such as not running properly, won't switch off, other faults.
  • ClaritaMax
    ClaritaMax Posts: 5 Forumite
    MSE_Archna wrote: »

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Which boiler/plumbing/electrics cover? Are there ANY that are trustworthy?
    I've just ended my Homecare 400 cover with British Gas as they would not give me it for £20.50 as it says on their website - mine was £29.50 and due to increase by £45/year at renewal this Thurs. Ridiculous, they have just lost a customer.
    I am searching for cover with a different company and ALL of them, INCLUDING British Gas, seem to have terrible reviews on Trust Pilot. Certi, 24/7, Homeserve, YourRepair. I now have no idea who to go with. And am just praying that nothing breaks down.
    Maybe I'll wing it for 3 months then sign up again with British Gas. My partner will KILL ME tho as we are getting our house rewired in Aug so something could go wrong!
    Thanks for any info you have guys.
  • LIttleOwl_2
    LIttleOwl_2 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hi, looking into home emergency cover and need it to also cover an unvented hot water cylinder in our new build (Megaflow). Would appreciate any suggestions of providers who include this please? Thanks. x
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,441
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    LittleOwl - I just looked on the homeserve website (you mentioned them on another post) and they have different cover levels but it looks like their "plumbing and heating" cover would cover a hot water cylinder. See https://www.homeserve.com/uk/insurance/plumbing-heating-houses-service-50-xs
    You could look around for other providers also. If in doubt you could call them up to check.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Got a shock today when I saw that a friend was paying around £630/year for BG HomeCare Two cover! Mature person, old school, never haggles and thinks loyalty is a good thing.

Interesting small print on the BG contract says something along the lines of: prices are individually customised. BG could be honest and say: we fleece the elderly when we can get away with it. BG have details of my friends advanced age (as it's part of their account access security process). Cynical and shameful.

My suggestion is to avoid all the national players and choose a service contract from a reputable local gas & heating engineering company instead - better value and, I suspect, better service. Pay monthly rather than annually just in case the company goes bust.
  • I've been through all the comparison sites and I'm really struggling to find cover for our boiler. It's between 15-20 years old and all the suppliers don't seems to want to know according to their T&C's.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • dogfonos
    dogfonos Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Got a shock today when I saw that a friend was paying around £630/year for BG HomeCare Two cover!

Correction: turns out this price also included insurance for some other kitchen appliances. The BG HomeCare Two cover element cost £422/year - still excessive though when a local heating engineering company company would give same central heating cover for under £300.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback