Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    .... For others, these paltry discounts could make a significant difference to ongoing custom - although I suspect that's what PS secretly want.

I don't understand what you're getting at here - can you expand on this thought/logic please?

Interesting idea about trying to 'fool' their systems to get a bigger discounted pack. Perhaps try it and see what happens. Maybe it might have been better to keep quiet about the idea, try it and see what happens;)
  • My experience with The Powershop has been terrible. They constantly mess up payment dates, their model is opaque and designed to rip you off and the customer service has been terrible. Steer well clear of using this energy provider
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nmach24 wrote: »
    My experience with The Powershop has been terrible. They constantly mess up payment dates, their model is opaque and designed to rip you off and the customer service has been terrible. Steer well clear of using this energy provider

Hi - welcome to the forum. You can only call it as you see it but my experience of Powershop was that their offer is different and, at first, somewhat complicated; billing periods can be irregular but bills are always clear and comprehensive, and customer service was always good.

That said, Powershop is not a supplier that I would recommend to potential customers who just want to sign up and take no further part in the management of their account.
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 1:04PM
    My experience with The Powershop has been terrible. They constantly mess up payment dates, their model is opaque and designed to rip you off and the customer service has been terrible. Steer well clear of using this energy provider

I can only agree with what Hengus says above. Powershop is definitely not for those who just want to join up and forget. You have to be very active in the management of your account, by buying the discounted powerpacks as they become available. Not sure what you mean by "messing up payment dates" - if you buy a powerpack you trigger a direct debit which leaves your account a few days later. Are you by chance not covering your usage with powerpacks, thereby leading Powershop to charge the balance at full price via the monthly account statement? The Powershop model does work best if you build up a credit balance with powerpacks.

I have only used Customer Support a couple of times, via email, and their response has always been within a few hours.

I think the jury is still out on whether the large disparity in discounts between the winter months (high) and summer (low) is viable, particularly for those of us whose usage does not vary much through the year. At the moment PS are wildly underestimating my annual usage, and I think this may be having a detrimental effect on the powerpacks being offered to me. We shall see....
    Image already added
  • fewkeste

I cannot agree with what you have posted here. I have been with Powershop since April 2017 and I think their customer service is excellent. There were problems when I first joined them caused by my previous supplier not passing relevant information to Powershop. A consequence of this lack of information was there was a delay between going on supply and having an online account.

Powershop made sure I did not lose out because of this and compensated me for the Future Packs I wasn't able to buy because of the delay in my online account going live.

As a new customer learning the ropes I had loads of questions and Powershop customer service were excellent at providing answers to my many questions.

As other previous posters have written - if you're going to join Powershop you need to get involved in your account and proactively monitor your account to check for the best value Powerpacks when they become available.

A natural consequence of this is you do become more aware of your energy consumption and cost - which is one of the underlying principles of the Powershop model.

Also as posted above you shouldn't join if you just want to pay a monthly direct debit and do nothing else. The Powershop model is designed for those customers who wish to get more involved in their energy supply usage and cost and wish to reduce costs by optimising their future purchase of credit to reduce their energy bill.

It is not for everyone but I suspect those who 'get it' are very pleased with the offer with perhaps the differential level of discounts between summer and winter being the only irritation.

So, I have a different opinion of Powershop to you.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I simply cannot agree with the negative comments posted here.

When I took out a contract with powershop I knew it was a unique and different way of buying electricity

I had my reservations as standard rate power is quite expensive but I thought I'd give it a go

Month one I bought everything I could. Built up a hefty credit (its now around £190) and guess what it works

The only reason it will not work for you is if you don't follow the golden rules

1 - read your meter regularly (I do it daily)

2 - buy powerpacks regularly (I buy all packs over 20% discount)

3 - use the app regularly to monitor your usage and ensure your costs are covered come billing period end. Under no circumstances let powershop buy energy for you. Standard rate is too expensive

My unit rates started at 11.49 p per kwh (not bad I thought). They've gone as low as an incredible 7.99p per kwh

Please don't criticise powershop because you fail to understand how it works. It's your choice to sign up so ensure you know how it works before you do so

All the above relates to their electricity

Their gas is another story its not competive by any means

Over 40 tariffs are cheaper for me than powershops gas

But for electricity it's a big thumbs-up
    155695 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I fully agree with the last few positive posts. I have never had a poor experiece with Powershop and I am heading for circa £150 annual saving on what would have been a £600+ bill with my old supplier. I sometimes wonder what the motives are of posters who come on a forum just to give a totally negative view when the experience of the significant majority is positive.
  • fewkeste
    edited 9 March 2018 at 8:54PM
    155695 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder what the motives are of posters who come on a forum just to give a totally negative view when the experience of the significant majority is positive.

Perhaps they are thick or lazy and haven't really bothered to check out how to run their account OR could they be from rival suppliers trying to dissuade people from joining what is a very competitive supplier?
  • MattR1972
    MattR1972 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hello all,

I am with Powershop and I use very little electricity (only), my average bill being £18-£22 all year.

For anyone with low usage, I recommend the following to get maximum value for money;

1. In the early months, Powershop will still be working out your usage pattern. I noticed the first "power packs" had a much larger % discount (up to 20% from memory) - tip buy up all of these packs - maximum 5 £10 packs a month

2. After six months, my discount on power packs (futures for April, May and June), have flat lined at 12%

3. Buy all the event packs, such as the monthly "taster pack" and check any calendar dates such as Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day.... these are normally a better discount

4. Get pre-paid as much as you can, while the % discount is good.

I am still prepaid by six months, but I think will switch when I have used this, as they are trying to claw back the initial good deals.

I do have one question, related to the points above;

- can anyone share their current discount offers on powerpacks? I suspect the discounts are "tailored" to individual usage.

Work the system and I believe Powershop is a great way to make short term savings there is no minimum contract length!
  • fewkeste
    MattR1972 wrote: »
    - can anyone share their current discount offers on powerpacks? I suspect the discounts are "tailored" to individual usage.

Read post #355 - this member has listed their purchases. I think that the % discounts people are offered are the same for special packs and it's the value of the pack that is adjusted depending on your usage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback