A mate's H&S problem

2»

Comments

• So he's basically second in command on site??

Who's telling him he'll get the sack? Surely he should be the one doing the telling?

It's not whistle blowing if you're the boss (or deputy boss) - it's your job! What's his job title? Maybe he needs to step up to the mark and insist that they do it properly - for the sake of their health, and for the sake of the company (they won't want to be getting sued down the line if people start suffering health problems).

He might not have access to a landline - but there are emails and mobile phones and a gazillion other ways of making contact, so no excuse.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So he's basically second in command on site??

Who's telling him he'll get the sack? Surely he should be the one doing the telling?

It's not whistle blowing if you're the boss (or deputy boss) - it's your job! What's his job title? Maybe he needs to step up to the mark and insist that they do it properly - for the sake of their health, and for the sake of the company (they won't want to be getting sued down the line if people start suffering health problems).

He might not have access to a landline - but there are emails and mobile phones and a gazillion other ways of making contact, so no excuse.

The SC is doing the comapny bidding - difficult situation.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And just because others in the company sector are not in a union, it doesn't mean he can't join, and IMO he should, as soon as he can. Union Finder.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • andygb
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    And just because others in the company sector are not in a union, it doesn't mean he can't join, and IMO he should, as soon as he can. Union Finder.

The problem is, that many unions will not represent you until you have been a member for a year, I know this from past experience.
  • andygb
    So he's basically second in command on site??

The "get the sack" comments were off the cuff remarks made by other staff members.
    He is not second in command at all, he is simply more experienced than the majority of the people on the site.
    From what he says, the SC is just letting them do what they want, as long as they get the work done quickly.
    If it was me, I would be putting everything down in one email, keeping copies and then sending it to head office.
    My mate is worried that if he does this, they might just let him go (He hasn't been there longer than a year, let alone two years).
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    The problem is, that many unions will not represent you until you have been a member for a year, I know this from past experience.

The TU appointed health and safety rep can pick this up.

He may find Inite organises within this sector.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    andygb wrote: »
    Yup. But if he's not planning to walk, then joining a union NOW rather than when he's sacked gets him closer to that magic year. And even if they will not represent you - which in a case like this they MIGHT do early - there is a certain amount of advice and information available before it comes to representation.

Plus the employer needn't know how long he's been a member. And I can't tell you how much better I felt when I could finish a letter saying "If you insist on pushing these changes through I shall have to consult my union." Maybe his employer won't care. I think mine would have changed their minds anyway - because I made a good case for them doing so - but I do not think it had occurred to them that I might have a union behind me!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • andygb
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Yup. But if he's not planning to walk, then joining a union NOW rather than when he's sacked gets him closer to that magic year. And even if they will not represent you - which in a case like this they MIGHT do early - there is a certain amount of advice and information available before it comes to representation.

Plus the employer needn't know how long he's been a member. And I can't tell you how much better I felt when I could finish a letter saying "If you insist on pushing these changes through I shall have to consult my union." Maybe his employer won't care. I think mine would have changed their minds anyway - because I made a good case for them doing so - but I do not think it had occurred to them that I might have a union behind me!

Good points:beer:
  • Prospect may be a suitable union for this line of work, and there is no minimum qualifiying time.

https://www.prospect.org.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport