IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim by BW LEGAL

ajbeats17
ajbeats17 Posts: 51 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

I have received a Claim Form from BW LEGAL representing Parking and Property Management. I live in a private flat that has its own allocated space that can only be accessed by fob but my parking permit wasn't on display. I don't have any correspondence on the details of the parking space as I sublet from a Landlord.

I treated the first letter as an LBC and requested a SAR from P&P and told BW Legal that a SAR had been requested. I received a letter from them stating 'we are not in the view that the right to restrict processing is applicable in this case.' Then I received all of the details from P&P with photos.

I have today received a letter of claim dated 16th May claiming: £238.78 (including court fees and legal representative costs) and subsequently filled out an acknowledgement of service.

I'm very new to this , like many and would greatly like some advice from here.

I am now looking at constructing my own defence.

Many thanks

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Best place to start is the NEWBIE thread (I see you already ahead of the game by having done AoS), more reading for you from post # 2: -
    If your case is about YOUR OWN SPACE or parking in a residents' car park as a legit visitor, please read THIS from the parking Prankster and also consider doing a counter-claim and/or Letter before Action to the site Managing Agent:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/residential-parking.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/residential-ticket-only-cancelled-after.html

Here is a defence for an 'own space' residential site, by Johnersh who is legally qualified:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72977032#post72977032

and one written by me but based on a template by bargepole (legally qualified), about a residential space (this one has a point about the site being secured by key fob):

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74708527#post74708527
  • ajbeats17
    edited 19 May 2019 at 3:39PM
    IN THE COUNTY COURT
    Claim No.: F3xxxx
    Between

[Parking and Property Management]
    (Claimant)

-and-

[Andrew xxx]
    (Defendant)

DEFENCE

1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The Particulars of Claim on the N1 Claim Form refer to 'Parking Charge' incurred on 8/11/2018. However, they do not state the basis of any purported liability for these charges, in that they do not state what the terms of parking were, or in what way they are alleged to have been breached. In addition, the particulars state 'The Defendant was driving the vehicle and/or is the keeper of the vehicle' which indicates that the Claimant has failed to identify a Cause of Action, and is simply offering a menu of choices. As such, the Claim fails to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4, or with Civil Practice Direction 16, paras. 7.3 to 7.5.

3. The Particulars refer to the material location as 'Burnell Building'. The Defendant has, since 25/10/2018, held legal title under the terms of a lease, to Flat No. 64 at that location. At some point, the managing agents contracted with the Claimant company to enforce parking conditions at the estate.

4. The underground car parking area contains allocated parking spaces demised to all residents. Entry to the underground parking is by means of a key fob, of a type only issued to residents. Any vehicles parked therein are, therefore, de facto authorised to be there.

5. Under the terms of the Defendant's lease, a number of references are made to conditions of parking motor vehicles.
    The definitions, at para. 2.57 define an 'Authorised Vehicle' as one which is taxed, roadworthy, and in a space allocated to the premises. In para.2.57, the Lessee agrees to only park a vehicle in an area set aside for that purpose. At para. 2.54, the Schedule to the Lease states that Lessees must not allow commercial vehicles, caravans, boats, trailers, etc. to be parked anywhere, and repeats the taxed and roadworthy requirements.

5.1. There are no terms within the lease requiring lessees to display parking permits, or to pay penalties to third parties, such as the Claimant, for non-display of same.

6. The Defendant, at all material times, parked in accordance with the terms granted by the lease. The erection of the Claimant's signage, and the purported contractual terms conveyed therein, are incapable of binding the Defendant in any way, and their existence does not constitute a legally valid variation of the terms of the lease. Accordingly, the Defendant denies having breached any contractual terms whether express, implied, or by conduct.

7. The Claimant, or Managing Agent, in order to establish a right to impose unilateral terms which vary the terms of the lease, must have such variation approved by at least 75% of the leaseholders and not more than 10% disagreeing, pursuant to s37 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1987, and the Defendant is unaware of any such vote having been passed by the residents.

8. Further and in the alternative, the signs refer to 'Authorised Vehicles Only/Terms of parking without permission', and suggest that by parking without permission, motorists are contractually agreeing to a parking charge of £60. This is clearly a nonsense, since if there is no permission, there is no offer, and therefore no contract.

8.1. The Defendant's vehicle clearly was 'authorised' as per the lease and the Defendant relies on primacy of contract and avers that the Claimant's conduct in aggressive ticketing is in fact a matter of tortious interference, being a private nuisance to residents.

8.2. In this case the Claimant has taken over the location and runs a business as if the site were a public car park, offering terms with £60 penalty on the same basis to residents, as is on offer to the general public and trespassers. However, residents are granted a right to park/rights of way and to peaceful enjoyment, and parking terms under a new and onerous 'permit/licence' cannot be re-offered as a contract by a third party. This interferes with the terms of leases and tenancy agreements, none of which is this parking firm a party to, and neither have they bothered to check for any rights or easements that their regime will interfere with (the Claimant is put to strict proof). This causes a substantial and unreasonable interference with the Defendant's land/property, or his/her use or enjoyment of that land/property.

9. The Claimant may rely on the case of ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 as a binding precedent on the lower court. However, that only assists the Claimant if the facts of the case are the same, or broadly the same. In Beavis, it was common ground between the parties that the terms of a contract had been breached, whereas it is the Defendant's position that no such breach occurred in this case, because there was no valid contract, and also because the 'legitimate interest' in enforcing parking rules for retailers and shoppers in Beavis does not apply to these circumstances. Therefore, this case can be distinguished from Beavis on the facts and circumstances.

10. The Claimant, or their legal representatives, has added an additional sum of £100 to the original £60 parking charge, for which no explanation or justification has been provided. Schedule 4 of the Protection Of Freedoms Act, at 4(5), states that the maximum sum which can be recovered is that specified in the Notice to Keeper, which is £60 in this instance. It is submitted that this is an attempt at double recovery by the Claimant, which the Court should not uphold, even in the event that Judgment for Claimant is awarded.

11. For all or any of the reasons stated above, the Court is invited to dismiss the Claim in its entirety, and to award the Defendant such costs as are allowable on the small claims track, pursuant to Civil Procedure Rule 27.14. Given that the claim is based on an alleged contractual parking charge of £100 - already significantly inflated and mostly representing profit, as was found in Beavis - but the amount claimed on the claim form is inexplicably £238.78, the Defendant avers that this inflation of the considered amount is a gross abuse of process.

12. Given that it appears that this Claimant's conduct provides for no cause of action, and this is intentional and contumelious, the Claimant's claim must fail and the court is invited to strike it out.

12.1. In the alternative, the Court is invited, under the Judge's own discretionary case management powers, to set a preliminary hearing to examine the question of this Claimant's substantial interference with easements, rights and 'primacy of contract' of residents at this site, to put an end to this litigation.

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Andrew xxxx (Defendant)

19/05/2019 (Date)
  • ajbeats17
    That is the defence I have come up with.

Does this look okay?

Once again, thank you very much for helping here.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    On your point 7, you might want to add "and not more than 10% disagreeing"
    On your point 12.1 you might want to change: -
    send a clear message to the Claimant to cease wasting
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Have you read this

https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2016/11/residential-parking.html

Primacy of contract may scupper them.

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • ajbeats17
    Thanks for replying Le_Kirk and The Deep.

Having read that article, would it be worth citing some of these cases that could apply to mine as part of my defence?

My only issue is my lease contains very little on the car parking space allocated so I don’t have much written evidence to fall back on in the instance.

Would I need a written statement from my landlord stating that car parking space is mine or will a picture of the permit saying so suffice?
  • ajbeats17
    IN THE COUNTY COURT
    Claim No.: F3xxxx
    Between

[Parking and Property Management]
    (Claimant)

-and-

[Andrew xxx]
    (Defendant)

DEFENCE

1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.

2. The Particulars of Claim on the N1 Claim Form refer to 'Parking Charge' incurred on 8/11/2018. However, they do not state the basis of any purported liability for these charges, in that they do not state what the terms of parking were, or in what way they are alleged to have been breached. In addition, the particulars state 'The Defendant was driving the vehicle and/or is the keeper of the vehicle' which indicates that the Claimant has failed to identify a Cause of Action, and is simply offering a menu of choices. As such, the Claim fails to comply with Civil Procedure Rule 16.4, or with Civil Practice Direction 16, paras. 7.3 to 7.5.

3. The Particulars refer to the material location as 'Burnell Building'. The Defendant has, since 25/10/2018, held legal title under the terms of a lease, to Flat No. 64 at that location. At some point, the managing agents contracted with the Claimant company to enforce parking conditions at the estate.

4. The underground car parking area contains allocated parking spaces demised to all residents. Entry to the underground parking is by means of a key fob, of a type only issued to residents. Any vehicles parked therein are, therefore, de facto authorised to be there.

5. Under the terms of the Defendant's lease, a number of references are made to conditions of parking motor vehicles.
    The definitions, at para. 2.57 define an 'Authorised Vehicle' as one which is taxed, roadworthy, and in a space allocated to the premises. In para.2.57, the Lessee agrees to only park a vehicle in an area set aside for that purpose. At para. 2.54, the Schedule to the Lease states that Lessees must not allow commercial vehicles, caravans, boats, trailers, etc. to be parked anywhere, and repeats the taxed and roadworthy requirements.

5.1. There are no terms within the lease requiring lessees to display parking permits, or to pay penalties to third parties, such as the Claimant, for non-display of same.

6. The Defendant, at all material times, parked in accordance with the terms granted by the lease. The erection of the Claimant's signage, and the purported contractual terms conveyed therein, are incapable of binding the Defendant in any way, and their existence does not constitute a legally valid variation of the terms of the lease. Accordingly, the Defendant denies having breached any contractual terms whether express, implied, or by conduct.

7. The Claimant, or Managing Agent, in order to establish a right to impose unilateral terms which vary the terms of the lease, must have such variation approved by at least 75% of the leaseholders and not more than 10% disagreeing, pursuant to s37 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1987, and the Defendant is unaware of any such vote having been passed by the residents.

8. Further and in the alternative, the signs refer to 'Authorised Vehicles Only/Terms of parking without permission', and suggest that by parking without permission, motorists are contractually agreeing to a parking charge of £60. This is clearly a nonsense, since if there is no permission, there is no offer, and therefore no contract.

8.1. The Defendant's vehicle clearly was 'authorised' as per the lease and the Defendant relies on primacy of contract and avers that the Claimant's conduct in aggressive ticketing is in fact a matter of tortious interference, being a private nuisance to residents.

8.2. In this case the Claimant has taken over the location and runs a business as if the site were a public car park, offering terms with £60 penalty on the same basis to residents, as is on offer to the general public and trespassers. However, residents are granted a right to park/rights of way and to peaceful enjoyment, and parking terms under a new and onerous 'permit/licence' cannot be re-offered as a contract by a third party. This interferes with the terms of leases and tenancy agreements, none of which is this parking firm a party to, and neither have they bothered to check for any rights or easements that their regime will interfere with (the Claimant is put to strict proof). This causes a substantial and unreasonable interference with the Defendant's land/property, or his/her use or enjoyment of that land/property.

9. The Claimant may rely on the case of ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 as a binding precedent on the lower court. However, that only assists the Claimant if the facts of the case are the same, or broadly the same. In Beavis, it was common ground between the parties that the terms of a contract had been breached, whereas it is the Defendant's position that no such breach occurred in this case, because there was no valid contract, and also because the 'legitimate interest' in enforcing parking rules for retailers and shoppers in Beavis does not apply to these circumstances. Therefore, this case can be distinguished from Beavis on the facts and circumstances.

10. The Claimant, or their legal representatives, has added an additional sum of £100 to the original £60 parking charge, for which no explanation or justification has been provided. Schedule 4 of the Protection Of Freedoms Act, at 4(5), states that the maximum sum which can be recovered is that specified in the Notice to Keeper, which is £60 in this instance. It is submitted that this is an attempt at double recovery by the Claimant, which the Court should not uphold, even in the event that Judgment for Claimant is awarded.

11. For all or any of the reasons stated above, the Court is invited to dismiss the Claim in its entirety, and to award the Defendant such costs as are allowable on the small claims track, pursuant to Civil Procedure Rule 27.14. Given that the claim is based on an alleged contractual parking charge of £100 - already significantly inflated and mostly representing profit, as was found in Beavis - but the amount claimed on the claim form is inexplicably £238.78, the Defendant avers that this inflation of the considered amount is a gross abuse of process.

12. Given that it appears that this Claimant's conduct provides for no cause of action, and this is intentional and contumelious, the Claimant's claim must fail and the court is invited to strike it out.

12.1. In the alternative, the Court is invited, under the Judge's own discretionary case management powers, to set a preliminary hearing to examine the question of this Claimant's substantial interference with easements, rights and 'primacy of contract' of residents at this site, to put an end to this litigation.

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Andrew xxxx (Defendant)
  • ajbeats17
    reviewed defence above.

I have also written to my MP.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ajbeats17 wrote: »
    My only issue is my lease contains very little on the car parking space allocated so I don’t have much written evidence to fall back on in the instance.

Would I need a written statement from my landlord stating that car parking space is mine or will a picture of the permit saying so suffice?
    I would get witness statement signed & dated by your landlord saying that, and confirming that his lease has never been varied to add any requirements to display a permit in his demised bay, nor has he agreed at any point to a parking firm to trespass on his land (the bay) and to ride roughshod over his rights & easements that he passed down to you, his tenant, in good faith.

Your defence is good.

Just checking you didn't just copy this without editing it, and that your parking is underground/an 'undercroft', so this makes sense for your case too?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have received a Claim Form from BW LEGAL representing Parking and Property Management.
    I have today received a letter of claim dated 16th May claiming: £238.78 (including court fees and legal representative costs) and subsequently filled out an acknowledgement of service.

I can understand the first statement, but to then say you have " received a letter of claim dated 16th May" is somewhat confusing.
    Traditionally a Letter Before Claim comes before a Claim.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me that you have received a County Court Claim Form with an Issue Date of 16th May.
    Is that right? Please confirm.

With a Claim Issue Date of 16th May, and having done the Acknowledgement of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 18th June 2019 to file your Defence.

That's just about a month away. Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure