Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Aug 11, 9:29 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: No pay rise for most workers
    • 3rd Aug 11, 9:29 AM
    MSE News: No pay rise for most workers 3rd Aug 11 at 9:29 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Only one in four workers have had a pay rise this year, with most seeing their wages frozen, new research revealed today ..."

Read the full story:
    No pay rise for most workers

Page 2
  • ceridwen
    Simple answer to what volunteering work one can do in a hair salon - errr...I dont quite understand the query - because there obviously ISNT any. Any job in a place like a hair salon is, by definition, a paid one. Its only charities and other worthy causes that can expect to receive work on a "voluntary" basis. A hair salon is, by definition, a business and therefore "voluntary" work obviously doesnt apply.

I admit as to being very puzzled as to why you are asking this - can you elucidate on this?
  • ceridwen
    Because my gut reaction is that it feels to me like that you DO realise that voluntary work doesnt apply to businesses for obvious reasons.

Reet - having said that - I DO hope that we can all get back on topic - because it IS a very serious matter that many people are finding that their pay has been cut or frozen and we REALLY DO need to debate this topic.
    Last edited by ceridwen; 03-08-2011 at 7:22 PM.
    • Jesthar
    • By Jesthar 3rd Aug 11, 8:55 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Jesthar
    No idea about whether the rank and file in our company are getting a pay rise this year, as the senior management has been putting off negotiating it with the Unions whilst they push through a reorganisation that will see a lot of people working more hours for no increase in pay (because "we need to save money"), but intelligence suggests it's likely to be nothing or minimal ("because we need to save money").

In the meantime, management have also been regaling employees in the offices with what they intend to spend their 20% bonuses on ("because - ah - we need to, um, take the incredible risk of 5-6 figure bonuses in order to save you essential workers from the root of evil that is money?").

Oddly enough, morale has soared - not...
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek...
  • nutty nat
    We havent had any pay increments for 3 years.
    Originally posted by Percy1983

We are exactly the same as you no pay rises for three years
  • ceridwen
    Little point of clarification here - theres "pay increments" on the one hand (ie going a step up a payscale because one has been there for another year) and "cost of living rises" on the other hand.

This thread is about "cost of living rises" - ie have people had their cost-of-living rises or no and, if they havent, have they actually had a physical paycut (which I guess one could interpret as a "negative cost of living rise").

It just strikes me as "Department of the Bl**dy Obvious" that employers dont seem to realise that the more unfairly employees are treated (ie with inadequate cost of living rises, payfreezes, downright paycuts) then the worse the standard of work they turn out will be - whether thats because they are doing it deliberately to "get their own back" or because they are still trying but are feeling so unmotivated (ie because of the way they are being treated) that they are slackening off anyway even without any deliberate attempts to "put a spanner in the works" on their part..

I think many employers must be putting their businesses/etc into a vicious circle of payfreeze/paycut etc and the employees "slacken off" and the employer then decides they are making less profit and imposes another payfreeze/paycut and the employees "slacken off" a bit more and so it goes on ad infinitum...
    Last edited by ceridwen; 04-08-2011 at 6:34 AM.
    • Percy1983
    • By Percy1983 4th Aug 11, 8:40 AM
    • 4,990 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    Percy1983
    To be clear I have gone up pay scales but had no cost of living for 3 years.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,878Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin