£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• ellen_vannin
    ellen_vannin Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on the POSITIVE figure , these things really make a difference to the mindset.

And congrats on your Premium bond win ! That will encourage you to leave the money there or add to it if possible.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    - I made panzanella for dinner last night, which is a brilliant budget meal - I make it with tinned tomatoes and leftover slightly stale sourdough, so it's super-cheap. I'm sure it would be miles nicer with fresh toms, but it's perfectly acceptable with tinned - I add a dash of vinegar and sugar to up the flavour.
    - Mango sorbet - I think I already mentioned this one, but two tins of mango puree and some sugar syrup (made by heating sugar and water) in the ice cream maker for 20 minutes and semi-healthy mango sorbet appears! Not super cheap at £2 for two tins, but that makes 900g, compared to £2+ for 500ml of actual sorbet.

Both of those sound perfect for us so I've just been copying them out. :) Thanks :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you explored using vanilla paste to make extract? I have a large jar of the Nielsen-Massey one that Lakeland sell for about £16 that has been lurking untouched in my cupboard and I wondered if I could re-pupose it to make extract. You said it takes about six months to "mature" so I am thinking about it for Christmas.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lots of positives in your latest post. As you do long posts I thoroughly agree that posting less often is a better use of your time especially if you don't lose motivation.

Congrats on premium bond win and having your August salary and expenses covered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2018 at 7:38AM
    Options
    Week 73: Day 6

Wow, this weather just keeps on going and going, doesn't it! I honestly can't remember the last time we had a long hot summer like this. No doubt it will break just in time for the summer holidays, but at least we've all had a good dose of sunshine meanwhile.

It is a bit weird getting used to not stopping by here every morning, but I've really noticed how much time it's freed up. And so far no mad overspending caused by only coming by 3x a week instead of daily. For anyone starting out, I can not recommend daily posting highly enough - I know for a fact that I would have tailed off and lost enthusiasm without the honesty check of a daily check-in here.

So pleased to have a lovely quiet weekend at home after two weekends with long drives and family get togethers. DH is doing more overtime today, so I'm going to get Saturday sweets, play in the garden and watch the football with the DCs, then tomorrow we are going to friends' for lunch. I need to menu plan and shop for a cheap-ish week this week after last week's monster food shopping bill, must try and do that today too.

My smaller business has been making a little extra this month with the extra time I've allocated to it, which is pleasing - I'm relying on that business growing over the coming few months to help take some of the slack when I eventually manage to stop being client facing.

I am trying to work out how to keep our budget on track in the face of some mega holiday spends - we have three camping trips booked in, and need to pay the balance on two of them still (the third was paid for the other day), which I had somehow completely gone into denial about (read: forgotten) during last month's budget disaster area. It's a total of £300 between the two trips. I'm inclined to let my 'holidays' budget pot sit at a negative number in YNAB rather than borrowing from other pots, as that will be covered by August, September and October's holiday savings, and we have enough balance in our account to cover that 'shortfall' meanwhile. I think if I top the holiday pot up I will instantly forget that my budget actually isn't balancing and will be lulled into a false sense of security, whereas I find it intensely irritating to see a red number when I log on to YNAB each day, so that's quite a good reminder. I currently have three red numbers in YNAB - holidays, DH's expenses claim (due to be paid next week) and costs for something I bought for my mother which she will pay me back for next week. It annoys me immensely. Which it probably a good thing!

I had to spend a good chunk of our entertainment kitty for this month on a new family railcard and train tickets for next week for DH to travel with the DC up to meet me for my sister's wedding (I am driving up earlier in the week to help with prep), but since we're a week into the month with no other entertainment spends so far and should have a low/no spend weekend I'm not too alarmed. Then next weekend is the wedding so no spending opportunities. The only challenge is going to be making sure we have food for journeys. The railcard saved more than its own cost on this one journey, which is pleasing. Hopefully we'll use it again at some stage this year - the DCs love getting the train.

Ooh, I've just updated my signature after paying my barclaycard statement for the month and I am less than £5 away from being in the £12,000s! I will try to shuffle things around to get into the 12s this weekend. Also have finally paid over £3,000 off debt so far this year.

I've just ordered vanilla pods - I think someone asked me to link. I've bought 20 from here, as apparently Grade B are fine for vanilla extract. From the recipe I've been using, between 12-20 is right for a litre, depending on size - I think I used 16 last time, so I have a few leftover.

Suffolklass never thoughts about using the paste, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Hard to judge how much paste equates to how many vanilla pods though, and I suppose one might as well just cook with the paste.

Apple muncher I have heard that re oats, but frankly if it is that, it isn't aggravating her enough for me to cut oats - she has a bit of intermittent bloating still, but no pain at all, and I don't think I can face cutting out oats as well! I will consider if it her symptoms get worse though.

To do this week
    1. Practise batch of macarons when flavouring arrives. done, but need to make another test batch today as they didn't turn out terribly flavoursome or colourful.
    2. Plan out the project I want to make for DC1.
    3. Investigate our internet speed/usage with a view to changing to a more useful deal at some stage.
    4. Check ebay listing for bike trailer and make it live. DH needs to write the text, hoping to get it live tomorrow.
    5. Send letters to neighbours regarding planning application.
    6. Book train tickets for next weekend.

7. Order vanilla pods for vanilla extract.
    8. Invoice for last month's contract work and figure out how much I need to make to cover August's salary - no buffer any more!
    9. Organise DC1's party - he wants an overnight camping trip nearby with two friends and DH, which should be pretty cheap if we can arrange it, so we're planning well in advance.
    10. Get ahead on contract work to end of Aug.
    11. Book the other camping trip we haven't booked yet!
    12. Check the hand me down uniform we were given for DC3 and plan what uniform all three DCs will need for September - attempt to buy some while it's all on offer. Have checked uniform but not ordered yet as there doesn't seem to be any offers on cotton uniform.

Mini goals:
    - £8.76/31 June rounding down pot.
    - £3,107.07/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - £328/£932 extension pre-build costs shortfall.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done, this is all very positive. I could not cope with that £5.01 away from the 12's but I am not you.

I wondered if you have looked at the car-lighter connected cold-boxes for your camping trips. We have a gas-bottle operated box (runs off a car battery too) but these are c£200 and very bulky with the gas too, whereas we picked up our plug-in cold box for £30 which is ideal for a weekend (using a traditional cold box with a bag of ice to keep plastic (sorry) boxes and bottles cold) the plug-in stays in the car keeping meat and salads, and opened milk nice and cold. Maybe not for this year but a good Xmas list sale item. Much less bulky. I am not suggesting now, just flagging for the future with a recommendation as they work really well (-16c below air temp)....

Back to vanilla. I have been using good vanilla pods and extract for cooking for probably 20 years. I just don't know the concentration of the paste so having got it (at moderate, rather than vast expense), it just lurks in the spice tray. I will do some experimentation I think. I refuse to let it be wasted.

Have a lovely weekend and don't forget to build in some downtime for your lovely DH if he is working both days this weekend and then away for the wedding next weekend. Mine would be knackered with three weeks without a down-day (he is older, of course). DH here just keeps going until the cliff-edge is approaching and then it all hits together.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a thought re the planning letters. The council should write to your neighbours themselves, as part of the planning application process. My neighbours have had 2 or 3 big projects in recent years and each time the council have contacted me by letter to allow time to view the application online.

Good news that the smaller business is picking up. Well done on being so time focussed. Have a lovely weekend!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    re budgets, i simply think that your whole ethic views, whilst to be admired (i myself am not too bothered on that side of things), is simply not affordable for you atm. could you not slacken off on that, and when in a better situ, make a donation to that cause after? i have seen this done by others on here, whos sensibilites were like yours then they realised they had to cut back but when they then were in a better state they went back to ethic sources and also "offset" their non eco ways by giving back after the fact. I just think that your budget would be a lot better off if you slackened and tbf, your extension (properly done), could be saved for quicker, and the "upto code" standard of it would even help with that eco payback as i assume it will be energy efficient / planet friendly etc.

re any intolerances, ketogenic eating has made huge differences to a lot of people, im doing it mainly for the weight loss and the moobs reduction! but it helps a lot of people reverse a LOT of things, even diabetes and intolerances / IBS.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 74: Day 2

Phew, was able to make a £7 overpayment to the Barclaycard this morning, so my CC debt total now stands at £12,997.48. Into the 12s, people!

Finally managed to list the bike trailer on Sunday, then realised this morning that DH had listed it incorrectly (wrong type of trailer), so had to end it and will relist tonight. Irritating! And it had a bid. So annoying.

Suffolklass good idea re car powered coobox. We were going to get a new coolbox for this year's camping, but the trailer was more expensive than expected, so I think it's going to be one to look out for in the sales ready for next year.

Honeysucklelou2 planning do write to our neighbours, but we thought it might be friendlier if something came from us first. The architect failed to add some crucial document to the application which only came to light yesterday, so we are still waiting for it to be processed. Eye roll.

db2016 I did try compromising all out ideals when we first started out on this journey, and it made DH and I fat (too many cheap carbs) and downbeat because we felt like we were making the wrong choice for our principles. Since getting back on the ethical wagon we are so much more content. Yes, it's meant fractionally slower debt repayments/saving, but actually for us now it's like saying the council tax slows the debt repayment. We could make our council tax cheaper by selling our house and moving to a cheaper area, but actually that's not a realistic change to make, and for us the 'price of food' is the 'price of ethical, good quality food', not the price of compromise food. I personally think that unhealthy, unethical, un-environmentally friendly food shouldn't even be on the shelves, so the price of good (in all senses) food should just be accepted as the actual 'price of food'. And the same applies to other ethical/eco considerations. I personally think we need to accept as a society that food, energy, clothing etc is more expensive than we have been used to, and we need to manage those resources a lot more carefully and the minimum price should be a higher price per 'unit' of whatever we are buying because of the ethical/eco concerns that are taken into account as standard.

For now, we are able to pay the debt down, save for the extension and feed and clothe our family with those considerations taken into account, and as long as that remains the case I'm happy. If it stops being the case, I'll reassess.

Busy day ahead - DC3 has a school taster session which I need to attend, then I need to pack everything ready to go up to my parents' to help prep for my sister's wedding.

To do this week
    1. Baking. Lots and lots of baking - for my sister's wedding!
    2. DH - investigate internet speed/usage with a view to changing to a more useful deal at some stage.
    3. Relist bike trailer.
    4. Regular social media posting for work.

Mini goals:
    - £9.22/31 June rounding down pot.
    - £3,114.53/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - £348/£932 extension pre-build costs shortfall.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • remote_control
    Options
    Week 74: Day 2

db2016 I did try compromising all out ideals when we first started out on this journey, and it made DH and I fat (too many cheap carbs) and downbeat because we felt like we were making the wrong choice for our principles. Since getting back on the ethical wagon we are so much more content. Yes, it's meant fractionally slower debt repayments/saving, but actually for us now it's like saying the council tax slows the debt repayment. We could make our council tax cheaper by selling our house and moving to a cheaper area, but actually that's not a realistic change to make, and for us the 'price of food' is the 'price of ethical, good quality food', not the price of compromise food. I personally think that unhealthy, unethical, un-environmentally friendly food shouldn't even be on the shelves, so the price of good (in all senses) food should just be accepted as the actual 'price of food'. And the same applies to other ethical/eco considerations. I personally think we need to accept as a society that food, energy, clothing etc is more expensive than we have been used to, and we need to manage those resources a lot more carefully and the minimum price should be a higher price per 'unit' of whatever we are buying because of the ethical/eco concerns that are taken into account as standard.

For now, we are able to pay the debt down, save for the extension and feed and clothe our family with those considerations taken into account, and as long as that remains the case I'm happy. If it stops being the case, I'll reassess.

Yep. What she said
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure