My 5 year plan

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Some good news this morning. Just got a call to say there's a contract starting next week for around 10 weeks which might justify a little bit of overtime. It wont be much, 4 or 5 hours per week, but every little helps! Been quiet since mid November so it's good that things are picking up a little.

This might mean I've got less time to think about my debt too as I've become obsessed with it recently.

Been thinking about the car too. Just in terms of how long I plan to keep it. I'm thinking around 2 years from now it'll be time for a change. The car turned 3 years old in December but it only had 3000 miles when I bought it in October (previous owner only used it on dry weekends!) and it just hit 10,000 on Monday. So in terms of reliability there shouldn't be any problems. I cover roughly 20,000 miles per year, so in 2 years time when the car is 5 years old it will still have reasonably low mileage of around 50,000 so that's probably going to be the sweet-spot to try and sell for maximum return. Any higher then it'll be harder to sell and will be devalued further.

It's not a cheap car to run and probably wasn't the most sensible choice but I like it and it's fit for the purpose it's being used for. I spend too long at the wheel every week not to enjoy what I drive.

So in 2019 I'll need to start thinking about saving the money to add to whatever the current car sells for, to buy a replacement. But I will be downgrading so hopefully wont need to put much to the next car.

It's all about sensible choices from here on in.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    hi fatrab just catching up, well done on the weight loss front and don't stress over the slip up with the breakfast roll! We have always bought our cars up front and we never have anything fancy but are looking to replace our current one in the next couple of years. I don't even drive myself so the cost of lessons and passing a test etc is on the horizon once the debt is gone. I think it's really good being able to reflect on where the money has gone and you've done well to have utilised balance transfers. I'm with you with obsessing over debt lol.
  • fatrab
    Thanks Storm, definitely going to give myself a little leeway next month with things like alcohol and takeaways but I don't want to undo any of the weight loss!

On the giving up booze thread, there's a line of thought that if you allow yourself cheat days you're actually making it harder for yourself by having to make the decision whether or not to drink. Same rules apply to eating out unfortunately. Just decide whether you're going to do it or not, then stick to it. It sounds like a really easy plan doesn't it? Lol

I've got a week off in March, not going anywhere just going to spend time at home before Mrs fatrab goes back to work and hopefully get a few little bits of decorating done, but being realistic I'll probably have a few beers in the house while I'm decorating. I've still got 27 beers left from Christmas and I have no idea how I've managed to resist drinking them!

Halfway through the month and the payday waiting game is on!

At least it's Friday tomorrow :)

• fatrab
    Well the weekend is upon us and another day closer to debt freedom!

Not a lot to report today, wasn't at home to weigh in this morning so will do that tomorrow. No snacks, no alcohol and no take aways are beginning to take their toll, I'm fantasizing about pizza, kebabs and curries but I will resist.

I think a wee treat will be well deserved after payday/month end.

Have a great weekend :)

• Happy Friday! I am with you in fantasising about the bad food - an freely admit I have a cheat meal once a week. It really does help!
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • fatrab
    Nearly there!!!! 16st 0lbs this morning! 1st 8 lbs off since Boxing day!

Wish the debt was coming down as fast at the weight!

Hope you're all having a good weekemd!

• Hey Fatrab, just caught up with your diary-apologise I've been slacking lately!

Huge well done on your weight loss-fabulous achievement since Boxing Day!

Bet you're glad that tax bill is gone-well done again!

Keep you chin up and carry on battling through the way you are doing, you're doing great!
  • Fantastic weight loss, well done!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Impressive weightloss. I've gone the other way... Only put a pound on over Xmas but in the last 2 weeks put about 6Lb on.... Need to get back on track.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Morning Fatrab, I've just started reading your thread and had to comment on the car thing. Our family used to joke that OH was keeping the german car market afloat single handedly. Did all the pimping up the new cars and then the almost new ones and waved goodbye to the money when a change was 'needed'. I think we could have bought several houses with the cash wasted. We now have 2011 and 2012 plates and OH is really happy with his vehicle and the low maintenance costs. He did used to do lots of travelling for work (70k+ per year) and I know a new car was probably more cost effective but it was all the buying them and then selling them months or a year later that was the problem. He's cured now thank goodness.

I also really like your idea of concentrating on the old debt and being happy (if that's the word) with debt that is actually buying assets. Our two loans (around £6k each) have purchased vehicles and business assets and apart from the monthly payments, I don't feel bad about those - could sell up and pay them off if we ever needed to. Its the credit card debt of around £7k that has nothing attached to it (apart from long gone holidays, cars, clothes and some jewellery) that makes me feel really uncomfortable. Sorry to hijack your thread but its LBMs like these that really give me ideas and motivation - thank you.

Congrats on the weight loss and I think I read that you have a newish baby too - huge congratulations! :T

Look forward to reading the rest of your thread soon. SS :)
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport