We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any keen bird feeders out there?

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Not sure Gers, though once saw a weasel or maybe a stoat kill a rabbit, ran all over its back until it came to the throat. Gruesome but nature.
  • Thanks, I'll keep it there for now! :T

Still no nibbles! :( How often do you think I should change the food (if I've got lots left in the feeder)?
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Still no nibbles! :( How often do you think I should change the food (if I've got lots left in the feeder)?

Do you have any predators coming in? Cats etc.

I found a dead chaffinch under the feeder this morning. They do fight each other so much so perhaps it got wounded and just died. Sad, but nature.

Blowing a hooley here again so put out some extra food on the ground, I like to see the blackbird feed.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello!
    I meant to get back to you about the Blackbird with some white wing feathers - I now can't trace the posts we talked about this. It is called "Leucism" and is apparently some genetic mutation which weakens mature feathers. Although some birds, mainly blackbirds, can turn completely white is is not the same as Albinism. Funny that our black cockerel also has developed some white tail feathers with age but as he produced white offspring it is probably different in his genes...

I hope our lonely Yellowhammer will soon find a mate!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Happygreen it's around post 390 where we discussed before.

We had one in our garden this morning with bits of grey and white. Not seen it around before so a new visitor. The white markings are not quite as pronounced as the one we saw previously at our caravan.

We seem to have more blackbirds around this spring for some reason. Mostly males. Usually we just get a pair. There was one feeding off the tray on the feeding station which is unusual as they usually eat the seed I put on the shed roof for them.

Fingers crossed for your Yellowhammer!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Gers
    I've stopped putting out the sunflower hearts as they just get gobbled up really fast and I've got a stockpile of sunflower seeds. I feel a bit like a parent telling a child to eat their greens before they get any pudding!

The birds are also very keen on the 49p blocks of lard which I fill the coconut shells with.
  • Gers wrote: »
    Do you have any predators coming in? Cats etc.

I found a dead chaffinch under the feeder this morning. They do fight each other so much so perhaps it got wounded and just died. Sad, but nature.

Blowing a hooley here again so put out some extra food on the ground, I like to see the blackbird feed.

We haven't seen any cats in the garden but I've seen a couple of magpies on the surrounding roofs a few times (but not actually in the garden).

The annoying thing is that the garden behind us seems to have permanent flock of starlings on their roof, which dip into their garden now and again. And I've definitely heard other small birds singing around, just don't know where they are! :(

2021 wins - 1
  • Gers
    We haven't seen any cats in the garden but I've seen a couple of magpies on the surrounding roofs a few times (but not actually in the garden).

The annoying thing is that the garden behind us seems to have permanent flock of starlings on their roof, which dip into their garden now and again. And I've definitely heard other small birds singing around, just don't know where they are! :(

I did a little online search and found this website with someone having the same problem. Don't know if it's any use or not.

My birds seems to feed in stages. Sometimes they are crowding around the pole feeders and covering the grass and other times, like right now, the garden is empty! I have no idea why. I can watch mine through an IP camera so I don't disturb them when I move into the kitchen.
  • Thanks Gers, I'll have a go with the tips from that page. Hopefully should see something soon!

2021 wins - 1
  • Chimera
    Chimera Posts: 492 Forumite
    Hi all, woodland garden in a little valley on the jurassic coast in Devon here :)

We order our bird food in wholesale because they go through so much.
    So far we have spied: coal tits, great tits, blue tits, long tailed tits, nuthatches, finches, gold finch, green finch, great spotted woodpecker, black birds, pigeons, pheasants (and the occasional chicken)

We are next to a stream, and had a dipper last year - he was so lovely - but no sign this year :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure