PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stained Bath

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, should have given a few more details :o

Pour some bicarb into a tub or bowl and use a damp cloth to dab it (easier to show than explain in writing!) then rub the powder in circular motion all over the surface of the bath ... might need a little elbow grease too;)

Give it a good rinse after to get rid of the powdery residue and buff with a dry cloth and it should come up sparkly white as new :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It sounds like it might need to be reenamelled (if the bicarb doesn't work that is). There are diy kits available on the market. I think the enamel is basically painted on. Maybe ask in a hardware or diy shop, or do a spot of googling to see if you can find a suitable product.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the enamel is worn away it needs renamelling - are you sure the 'dirt' isn't just the enamel showing through?

You can get renamelling kits from diy shops or just use enamel paint.

Kim and Aggie the other day used pumicestone to clean enamel, and claimed it didn't damage the enamel - I would use great care with this method though.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • tillytot_2
    tillytot_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    I Cleaned An Old Enamel Bath By Filling It With Warm Water, And Adding Bio Washing Powder (value Ones Work As Well As More Expensive Ones)

Leave To Soak For A Few Hours, Empty And Clean With A Cloth,

However If Its The Enamel That Worn Off, You Need To Re Do It.

Htmh
    Waddle you do eh?
  • lady_noluck
    lady_noluck Posts: 617 Forumite
    Thanks for your help guys I will try the biocarb and bio washing powder tips, and if I still can't get it clean will poss re-enamel it.
    I can't believe how fast you all are on this forum. I think I'm addicted!
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    If it's really stubborn, even though i hate to use chemical cleaners, use domestos. But wear gloves as its basically thick bleach. And use a plastic scourer. Bi-carb i don't think will shift ingrained dirt, you'll need something stronger. The bio washing powder may work - haven't tried that yet - it works wonders on oven trays so it should work on baths!
  • Mustang
    Mustang Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And for a really really stubborn stain, get some wet and dry very fine sandpaper and some bicarb. Wet bicarb a bit, then sand the enamel very gently in small circles. Once all sanded, clean well. Then use a car polish - one designed for white cars, preferably a resin-based polish. Polish, and buff until shiny. Every so often, re-polish.
  • hids_2
    hids_2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    i have the same problem with mine, and when i tackle it i tend to use a mixture of everything i.e washing up liquid, thick bleach washing powder and bubble bath also boiling water, scrub with a sponge scourer, this usually makes it look o.k( it definately smeels nicer) but do think mine needs renamilling. Mascara seems to be the worst offender for leaving black marks at the bottom of the bath, maybe i should take it off b4 having a bath!!
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kim and Aggie the other day used pumicestone to clean enamel, and claimed it didn't damage the enamel - I would use great care with this method though.

Is the idea of this setting anyone else's teeth on edge?!!!
  • tillytot_2
    tillytot_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    yes, me too. bit like nails on a chalk board.
    Waddle you do eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport