Piping bags and nozzles which ones to buy?

2»

Comments

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    http://www.confectionperfection.co.uk/cake-courses-products/courses-products/parent-and-child-christmas-cupcakes-4759.html

What about this one is 2 hours not enough? All the others are well over £100:eek:
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Seems very expensive a book can it teach you works out cheaper?
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have a look for local evening classes - a lot of colleges etc places seem to run cake decorating and sugarcraft courses and they're not too dear at all. They can get expensive if you want to take qualifications, but basic ones tend not to be too bad.
  • teasleym
    teasleym Posts: 227 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Victory,

I did my course in kent, my teacher runs evening and daytime adult education classes, from icing for beginners to city and guilds. Did my level 1 City and Guilds and then had to stop as I had another baby!

She also runs day courses to make cupcakes, christmas cakes and other themed cakes so the prices vary on length of course. Have a look at your local adult education brochure, you might be lucky!

I did see some kuhn rikon plastic icing decorating bottles on QVC today, they have them in Lakeland too http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p14204/Kuhn-Rikon-Concertina-Decorating-Bottles, and they looked quite easy to use, they also suggested using the shop bought betty crocker icing too. It won't set hard but it'd be good for cakes.

And if you are really getting stuck with the royal icing, you can get it already made in tubs, waitrose do a dr oetker one, I know its cheating but if it reduces the wastage and stress it can't be too bad!
    :j Is MSE saving me money, or making me spend more on all the bargains?!:j
  • Rahere
    Rahere Posts: 1 Newbie
    With the change of Governmental policy, given that the profligate waste of plastic typified by this meme's general presumption that placky bacgs are best (despite the copious evidence to the contrary), perhaps it's time for someone trained by semi-professional cooks half a century ago before these became readily available, to have a say. In case you question what semi-professional means, I married the granddaughter of a professional cook, and am the son of an amateur cook who beat 4 out of the 5 professional cooks who made it into the final of the first ever public cookery competition, The Daily Telegraph Silver Spoon Competition in the mid 1970s.

The old school piping bag was originally made of muslin, seamed with rolled seams. It was oiled before use, and sometimes lined with disposable greseproof paper, cut as described above.
    Lay your piping bag out flat on the table. Cut a square sheet of greaseproof paper from the roll, and fold it in half diagonally, to get a straight edge. Halve it again, to find the middle, and lay the piping bag on it. What you're going to do is adjust that last fold, so the pocket you're making will fit the bag fairly closely. Do not cut the paper. Once you're there, hold it closed and fit it inside the outer cloth bag, trimming the top if necessary, then fit the piping nozzle and snip the end as per a plastic bag.
    Similarly, brown paper bags, once oiled, worked exactly as greaseproof bags would.

In the 1960s, nylon bags became more common, and entered into general use, as they are less porous than muslin. These are the ones Tala still use.

What I'm looking for is heat-resistant non-absorbent thread to sew some once more. The use of plastic is rather overkill - heat-resisant silicone-coated nylon should work very well. Roll all seams, starting with the end seams and then joining the side seams into a cone, on the wrong, coated side, then invert so the coated side can work with the greasproofing to form an unabsorbing surface. To maks a rolled seam manually, turn the ends of the cone over ovce, stitch it down the middlemof the overlap, and repest, close to the apex of the first turnover. This should take about 1/2" of material on both ends, resulting in a seam about 1/4" deep: this will also carry the nozzle on the narrower end.

To extend this to make a rolled join, overlay the edges of the cone shape and stitch down the centre of the overlap. Turn the seams inward into a Z-shape so each open cut edge is buried inside a C- shape formed by the other side, and stitch again, close to the apex of both C wraps, catching the raw edge and the main body: you should be sewing one millimeter from the edge, through four layers of fabric, on each side of the seam. Your first tacking run will therefore be buried inside the wrap, but still plays a role.
    The idea is that just as we use a dishcloth to dry our nice, freshly-washed dishes, so we can use cloth to pipe something we're going to cook, or something very sugary like icing. Sugars are too rich for most bacteria, and so the use of these materials is safe for most practical purposes: we've become slightly allergic to some bacteria, simply because we never encounter them through rather extreme hygiene.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure