Sold a stolen car, advice please

Comments

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If it was stolen, how could you have got the V5?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Geodark wrote: »
    If it was stolen, how could you have got the V5?

Lax practices at the DVLA.
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Lax practices at the DVLA.

Really? I thought all this would have been computerised, so unless the V5 was stolen at the same time as the car how could a new one have been obtained? Bit worrying if it is as simple as filling out a form with DVLA to get a new form issued and no checks made.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Geodark wrote: »
    Really? I thought all this would have been computerised, so unless the V5 was stolen at the same time as the car how could a new one have been obtained? Bit worrying if it is as simple as filling out a form with DVLA to get a new form issued and no checks made.

They delete records as and when they see fit. A recent example is all those who have lost additional entitlements from their licences.
  • toshkininny
    toshkininny Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, no we didn't do any checks. Because I naively thought that buying from a garage covered us on that sort of thing - I would have done a check buying privately, but didn't realise we'd have to do our own because I thought garages carry out their own checks before selling.
  • I bought a stolen recovered car from a salvage yard (no damage, taken with keys), it said that it was reported stolen on the HPI check but nothing about it being recovered.

I rang the police who advise that it was listed as having been recovered and they had no further interest in it.

It does massively impact the value though, the car I bought was a 5year old X-Type diesel and it cost me 2k in 2011, similar cars without the stolen recovered marker were going for 4-5k.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
  • toshkininny
    Thanks so do you think the likes of We Buy Any Car would have used this information to devalue the car even further ?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks so do you think the likes of We Buy Any Car would have used this information to devalue the car even further ?

Is the real issue here not that you are potentially driving about in a stolen car? You need to get that bottomed out and the marker removed
  • toshkininny
    That has been removed now through the HPI, as they contacted the insurance company .
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That has been removed now through the HPI, as they contacted the insurance company .

So it was a stolen recovered vehicle then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure