Can TalkTalk do this???

I received an email from talktalk a few weeks ago saying that they are switching mobile phone provider to O2 and offered me to switch to them without paying cancellation fees,
I spoke to O2 and the deal they offered me like for like was more expensive, so I left it.
I spoke to Talktalk again and complained that switching over meant paying more but they couldn't help me.
Today I received this from them

We’re simplifying our mobile service, so will be replacing your Large SIM plan with a Medium SIM plan from 8th April 2018. Unfortunately any discounts or Mobile Boosts you may currently have on this SIM plan will be removed as a result of this change.

But if you’d like to continue with a larger mobile allowance, the good news is we’ve put together a special mobile deal with our friends at O2.

note 2 things:
1. i have now 700 minutes - medium plan is 400 minutes
2. to switch to O2 for the same plan would be £3 more per month.

My question is - are they allowed to do this? Can I demand that they allow me to switch providers free of exit fees? my current contract is till August?

Thanks you for your help

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We're simplifying our mobile service, so will be replacing your Large SIM plan with a Medium SIM plan from 8th April 2018. Unfortunately any discounts or Mobile Boosts you may currently have on this SIM plan will be removed as a result of this change.

That goes against their own website.
    What if I don't want to take any of O2's mobile deals?

You can continue using your mobile service as usual and it will not be affected. If you're currently on a mobile promotion with us, this will continue to the end of your contract but we won't be able to renew your TalkTalk mobile offer when this finishes.

What did they say when you spoke to them?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It sounds like you can leave penalty free, as TT aren't sticking to their side of the contract. Look around for a better deal.
  • Thank you.
    I will try haggle with them in the morning.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    From Ofcom's website
    Phone and broadband providers can change the terms of a contract so long as they provide a month's notice.

However, if you believe the change will cause you material detriment, your provider should consider this and, if they agree, allow you to end the contract without penalty.

If they don't agree, make a formal complaint and ensure you get the complaint number.
  • Thank you so much.
    I read out your line from Ofcom and that did it! They gave me a code and confirmed that I wouldn't be hit with early termination charges..
    Let's wait and see when I get my last bill from them
    Thanks for your help
  • pmduk
    Well done! Wait until you have you received your final bill, then cancel your DD. Hopefully, the code they gave you was a PAC? TTG followed by 6 numbers? That enables you to take your number to another network.
  • yes it was.
    I'm pleased about it because I wanted to leave the contract anyways - I could get much cheaper deals elsewhere!
  • pmduk
    Perhaps go for a shorter SIM only deal next time? They offer much more flexibility. Or look at some of the PAYG deals such as Smarty, offering #uk only unlimited minutes and texts for £7.50. There are so many deals out there
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi greensmoker,

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed, there are[FONT=&quot] some great offers available with O2 which give you access to a wide range of faster mobile services. That includes 4G services and 15,000 free wifi hotspots, as well as the O2 Priority App that gives additional perks. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to get in touch using either the chat link on our website, Twitter (@TalkTalk) or our Online Community and we can look into the best options for you.

Thanks,
    Becky [/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • greensmoker
    greensmoker Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your reply.
    My problem is though, how can you treat a loyal customer like this???
    I've been with you for 7 years and to diddle a customer this way is abhorent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure