Item Delivered to wrong address....

sportmonday
sportmonday Posts: 19 Forumite
edited 16 June 2017 at 7:47AM in Consumer rights
Hi
I ordered an expensive car part from an online retailer but unfortunately they delivered to my billing address in Manchester and not the shipping address in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I was desperate for the part so had to get a family member to courier it up to me, which I obviously paid for.
I have been in touch with the retailer and explained how their error resulted in me having to pay for re-delivery to the correct address. They have refused to reimburse me. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if they are in breach of contract? I specified an address and they failed to deliver the item there.
It's their attitude that's really annoyed me!

I should also add that they have admitted the error was due to a new employee working in their sales and despatch department!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If they continue to refuse to pay I'm not sure that there's much you can do about it, the decision to use a courier was taken by you without consulting the retailer (I presume). A better option might have been to contact them and ask them to send a replacement part urgently to the correct address, and the original part would be returned.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    I would have informed the retailer as they have the contract with the courier to

1) go and collect the parcel and then deliver to the correct address
    2) ask them to send you the part to the correct address and then have the courier collect the mis delivered parcel to return to them

I would not have arrange anyone to bring the parcel to me at my expense unless i had it in writing from the retailer they would cover these costs
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I ordered an expensive car part from an online retailer but unfortunately they delivered to my billing address in Manchester and not the shipping address in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I was desperate for the part so had to get a family member to courier it up to me, which I obviously paid for.
    I have been in touch with the retailer and explained how their error resulted in me having to pay for re-delivery to the correct address. They have refused to reimburse me. I was wondering if anyone could confirm if they are in breach of contract? I specified an address and they failed to deliver the item there.
    It's their attitude that's really annoyed me!

I should also add that they have admitted the error was due to a new employee working in their sales and despatch department!

Thanks in advance.
    How did you pay for this purchase?
    Was it an ebay seller?
  • sportmonday
    wealdroam wrote: »
    How did you pay for this purchase?
    Was it an ebay seller?

Paid via a debit card.
    No it was a private online retailer.
  • sportmonday
    I would have informed the retailer as they have the contract with the courier to

1) go and collect the parcel and then deliver to the correct address
    2) ask them to send you the part to the correct address and then have the courier collect the mis delivered parcel to return to them

I would not have arrange anyone to bring the parcel to me at my expense unless i had it in writing from the retailer they would cover these costs

Yes, I understand what you are saying. I thought I might be exposing myself by arranging for my own delivery but I needed it ASAP. The money isn't a factor at all but it's just their indifferent attitude to a problem they caused!
    Looks like I'll just have to send them a snotty letter and share my unsavoury experience with others on the car forums I frequent.
    Thanks
  • sportmonday
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If they continue to refuse to pay I'm not sure that there's much you can do about it, the decision to use a courier was taken by you without consulting the retailer (I presume). A better option might have been to contact them and ask them to send a replacement part urgently to the correct address, and the original part would be returned.

Totally agree. I was just putting faith in them admitting their mistake and reimbursing me. Obviously not!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Although they should have been given the chance to rectify the issue at a minimum I would expect them to refund the original delivery charge, it may not cover all of your costs but would at least be something.
  • sportmonday
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Although they should have been given the chance to rectify the issue at a minimum I would expect them to refund the original delivery charge, it may not cover all of your costs but would at least be something.

Yes it would more or less cover it. Was just hoping for a bit of goodwill considering the value of the product I bought. My next purchase will not be coming from them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes it would more or less cover it. Was just hoping for a bit of goodwill considering the value of the product I bought.
    Perhaps you should have simply requested a refund of the delivery cost in the first place?

Going in all guns blazing telling them they were in "breach of contract" is never likely to foster "goodwill" and demanding they pay for your courier which you engaged yourself without consulting them is additionally vexatious.
  • sportmonday
    Perhaps you should have simply requested a refund of the delivery cost in the first place?

Going in all guns blazing telling them they were in "breach of contract" is never likely to foster "goodwill" and demanding they pay for your courier which you engaged yourself without consulting them is additionally vexatious.

Re-read my original post. I haven't said anything to them about being in breach of contract. I've emailed them once, explaining the situation and requesting some sort of assistance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure