Need a new Bank

Hi everyone,

I've been having some issue with my current bank and I'm looking for a new one. Is Santander UK a good bank?

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

Comments

• redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well I can only give my opinion,after twenty years with HSBC I moved to Santander in July and to date I am very happy and the change over was handled very well
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    What sort of issues?

It would be pointless being told about another bank who is known for identical issues!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    s.smellies wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've been having some issue with my current bank and I'm looking for a new one. Is Santander UK a good bank?

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

Personally I advise exercising caution: With some FinTech challenger banks about to become available early next year you might switch now and want to switch again in a few months. Rapidly changing banks could have an effect on your credit history with regard to the length of the accounts. If you must change try leaving the account open and adding a new bank account and move everything over.

Overall I like TSB for the simple reason that I've found their customer service second to none.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Is Santander UK a good bank?
    What does a good bank mean to you? There are many different ways of measuring, such as interest rates, availability of overdrafts, cost structure, perceptions of website and/or mobile app quality, perceptions of customer service in branch or by phone or even social media, local branch near you, ability to pay in at post offices, etc, etc, so you'll need to consider exactly what's important to you if you want to be able to differentiate between the many options in the market....
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Sarah

Personally I would recommend Barclays if you want to run your account via mobile app or on line. The mobile app allows you to store and retrieve documents. You can add new payees and create and amend standing orders and cancel direct debits. You can call the bank directly from the app without further identifying yourself. If you are a Barclaycard customer you can manage your credit card account from the Barclays app.

If you use branches a lot then you need to be mindful of the fact that Barclays like some other banks are closing a lot of branches. Depending on where you live this could be an issue.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've tried various banks over the last few years but I'm afraid I cannot comment on Santander.

However, I bank with First Direct who are voted to have the best customer service and I would agree with that. I've had so much trouble with other banks and First Direct is the bank I've had the least trouble with.
    I did hold an account with Lloyds Bank until just this week when it'll be getting shut down. They offer good services but I'll admit that I had numerous issues involving their customer service causing me problems.

I also tried Halifax for a few months this year who offer very good current accounts and offers with rewards, yet trying to get any kind of credit like an overdraft or credit card seemed impossible for me. I've got a good credit score, held credit cards and overdrafts elsewhere before now yet Halifax refused to deal with me. Anyway, alongside my First Direct, I've just opened one with Barclays a month ago and so far so good. The bank I would recommend avoiding completely though would be HSBC!

If you want any more advice on any of these then please reply and I'll answer them the best I can. But I'm afraid I don't know anything about Santander
  • Jlawson118
    redmalc wrote: »
    Well I can only give my opinion,after twenty years with HSBC I moved to Santander in July and to date I am very happy and the change over was handled very well

How on earth did you survive 20 years with HSBC?! I survived just over a year with them from August 2013 until September 2014..
    They're shocking! Although saying that, I can imagine they were good at some point :rotfl:
  • Jlawson118
    Bloomberg wrote: »
    If you use branches a lot then you need to be mindful of the fact that Barclays like some other banks are closing a lot of branches. Depending on where you live this could be an issue.

I'll just add there that it's in the news that a lot of banks are closing their branches down. NatWest have been doing it for years and Lloyds Bank have also been in talks about it as well. But it's the move of the digital age I guess, more and more people are using internet banking so it's cheaper for all of the banks
  • Jlawson118 wrote: »
    How on earth did you survive 20 years with HSBC?! I survived just over a year with them from August 2013 until September 2014..
    They're shocking! Although saying that, I can imagine they were good at some point :rotfl:

HSBC are firmly rooted in the dark ages. I was glad to leave them and go to Barclays. HSBC's delay in introducing a fully functioning app was the last straw.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I dont think the HSBC app is that bad, I used to just use the website till I got a smartphone, and a cashpoint to check balances. I have held my HSBC account since 1995, was my first ever account, and now I have 25, so I suppose it sentimental,

lots of options now if you are not happy with your bank though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing