Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Regan55
    Scammed from TSB
    • 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    Scammed from TSB 14th May 18 at 8:51 PM
    My son has been the victim of an elaborate phone/bank scam and has been scammmed out of almost 30k.

Not sure how much I can, or dare put on here, as the whole sorry saga, which is still ongoing, has left me very suspicious.

Can Anyone help
    Last edited by Regan55; 14-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Page 4
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 16th May 18, 3:37 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    This all sounds so implausible!

Using the TSB 'shambles' as a platform on which to concoct a scammed story. However it is just not possible for all this to have happened without the knowledge and involvement of the account holder.

IMO.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 16th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 2,950 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    Candyapple
    If this is week 4 since this happened, your son needs to speak to a solicitor ASAP and get them to act pronto. Most banks/phone companies won't ignore legal letters threatening court action.

Does he know which store it was that the SIM was given?

Has he contacted the police and asked them to see if they can obtain CCTV from said store?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 16th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    eschaton

Has he contacted the police and asked them to see if they can obtain CCTV from said store?
    Originally posted by Candyapple

That would have been the first thing I would have done.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55

Using the TSB 'shambles' as a platform on which to concoct a scammed story. However it is just not possible for all this to have happened without the knowledge and involvement of the account holder.

IMO.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    So if you donít believe this.....just jog on then

I only wish it was a made up story as you say.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    That would have been the first thing I would have done.
    Originally posted by eschaton

Action Fraud agency have been contacted. Police fraud department

Vodafone will not release cctv unless police request it.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Ben8282

IMO.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud

I agree.
    Even if somehow the fraudster did somehow manage to have your son's mobile number transferred to a new SIM card the first question to be asked is why. Why pick on your son? Why bother? For all the fraudster knew your son could have been massively overdrawn. How did the fraudster know that there was so much money in the account?
    Secondly, the OP has never addressed the question of how the fraudster even knew who your son banked with let alone his online banking username, password and memorable information all of which would have been needed to even access the account.
    And how convenient that your son just happened to be wherever he was that required him to have his phone turned off when the fraudster went into the Vodafone shop.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    eschaton
    I agree.
    Even if somehow the fraudster did somehow manage to have your son's mobile number transferred to a new SIM card the first question to be asked is why. Why pick on your son? Why bother? For all the fraudster knew your son could have been massively overdrawn. How did the fraudster know that there was so much money in the account?
    Secondly, the OP has never addressed the question of how the fraudster even knew who your son banked with let alone his online banking username, password and memorable information all of which would have been needed to even access the account.
    And how convenient that your son just happened to be wherever he was that required him to have his phone turned off when the fraudster went into the Vodafone shop.
    Originally posted by Ben8282

So, you're saying that you don't believe OP then?

Find all of this hard to believe as well as the OP continues to not answer a number of important questions.

OP - if this is actually real then start answering the questions asked, otherwise you are wasting your time as well as everyone else's on this thread.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    If this is week 4 since this happened, your son needs to speak to a solicitor ASAP and get them to act pronto. Most banks/phone companies won't ignore legal letters threatening court action.

Does he know which store it was that the SIM was given?

Originally posted by Candyapple
    It was a store in London. They wonít release cctv to me.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    No real point in carrying this thread on really. As a lot seem to think I am making this up.

Just hope that nothing like this happens to any of you.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 16th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The OP has also implied that the son is a serving member of the armed forces. This obviously raises additional concerns beyond internet banking fraud. Has he reported the SIM card substitution to his chain of command?
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 16th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    So if you donít believe this.....just jog on then

I only wish it was a made up story as you say.
    Originally posted by Regan55
    Why don't you also 'jog on ' lol

You started a thread to elicit response.

Your story has more holes than a string vest, it doesn't add up. Its more like a primer for a scam in the future but we're not all dumb on here.

If true it doesn't matter what is said on here just go through the legal options and let us know the outcome. Lol lol lol
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    The OP has also implied that the son is a serving member of the armed forces. This obviously raises additional concerns beyond internet banking fraud. Has he reported the SIM card substitution to his chain of command?
    Originally posted by Ben8282

So what additional concerns would that be???

But in answer to that......yes he has told them.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    It all seems too convenient.

They knew he was on Vodafone.
    They knew his phone number.
    They knew who he banked with.
    They knew senstive and secure login details for said bank.
    They knew he had money in his accounts.

Get the picture now?
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sim-swap-fraud-explained/
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Thanks for the article on a US website.

Still doesn't answer my points made above
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 16th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    There is, definitely, more to this than we are getting from the OP. But I think the problem, possibly, lies in the info father is getting from son. If it was the person who had actually been scammed who was telling us this tale of woe, we might have a chance of getting a better idea of exactly what transpired.
    OP, I hope you are not too disillusioned with the way the thread has gone to stop you informing us of the conclusion to this saga. I, for one, would be very interested in knowing how it pans out.
    Only a full story, from beginning to end, helps us to understand the mechanics of these scams, and gives us the knowledge to help others in future.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 16th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 5,249 Posts
    • 169,182 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    I hadn't heard of this before either.
    Winging it since 1972
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Thanks for the article on a US website.

Still doesn't answer my points made above
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    I honestly wish I knew.........I just donít know. I really hope my lad hasnít been that daft, but I canít tell you.

As for priming for a future scam........what a absolute !!!9994;!!!128166;

Read this then Gary........

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/16/sim-swap-fraud-mobile-banking-fraudsters
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    There is, definitely, more to this than we are getting from the OP. But I think the problem, possibly, lies in the info father is getting from son. If it was the person who had actually been scammed who was telling us this tale of woe, we might have a chance of getting a better idea of exactly what transpired.
    OP, I hope you are not too disillusioned with the way the thread has gone to stop you informing us of the conclusion to this saga. I, for one, would be very interested in knowing how it pans out.
    Only a full story, from beginning to end, helps us to understand the mechanics of these scams, and gives us the knowledge to help others in future.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve

I came in here hoping for some help as Iím not in anyway, shape or form techno savvy........I struggle with the TV remote, but to be, basically called a liar, or priming for a potential scam by a few monumental !!!!!!!s, that sucks.

I wish I understood how these things work. I donít know if my son has let slip any info, Iím only his father, and he probably wouldnít tell me anyway.......but he says he hasnít. (But he is a bit daft sometimes)

I donít need this stress about this........or the !!!! Iím getting in here.

So like I said........if you donít believe what Iím saying.......then just jog on
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Another vague article that doesn't explain how they knew who he banked with, passcodes, passwords, phrases etc.

When you reset a banking login they usually do it via email or post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

8,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Eh? I think you are confusing a poll with an opinion I wrote my polls in an attempt not to lead the vote, otherwis? https://t.co/2IUtL7vBOr

• Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Follow Martin