Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Regan55
    Scammed from TSB
    • 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    Scammed from TSB 14th May 18 at 8:51 PM
    My son has been the victim of an elaborate phone/bank scam and has been scammmed out of almost 30k.

Not sure how much I can, or dare put on here, as the whole sorry saga, which is still ongoing, has left me very suspicious.

Can Anyone help
    Last edited by Regan55; 14-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Page 2
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Thank you Karlie88

Speaking to Vodafone yesterday, I asked them if they will be liaising with the bank (TSB) and no was the reply, they will answer questions from them, but not actually get together to work this out.

My son isn!!!8217;t daft........he wouldn give his details out to anyone, so it it totally baffling to me, on how they can get certain info.

All I know is that, my son was due to complete on his first flat this Friday, and of course that is in the air now, as he hasn!!!8217;t got the funds for his deposit anymore.

Also, to be told by the TSB the banks security is ok and working, when everyone else knows its not, is beyond a joke.
    Last edited by Regan55; 15-05-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 32,745 Posts
    • 20,615 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I hope it ends well OP. Which bank are we talking about here OP?
    Originally posted by karlie88
    Its TSB Karlie.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 15th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    Candyapple
    All I know is that, my son was due to complete on his first flat this Friday, and of course that is in the air now, as he hasn!!!8217;t got the funds for his deposit anymore.
    Originally posted by Regan55
    I hope you manage to sort this out, must be an immensely stressful time especially with the above.

What have the police said?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 12:54 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    It’s logged with the fraud department, and they told me, that if he doesn’t get his money back, to let them know???
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 15th May 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    ChopperST
    One would hope that the bank would refund (if) providing he hasn't disclosed his online banking details to anyone else.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 15th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    ChopperST
    Out of interest I rang my mobile provider to ask what their policy was;

In store you require photographic ID and a utility bill to prove you are the account holder.

Online / telephone you need to verify with account questions and password. The new SIM would only be sent to address on the account.

Has your son's mobile provider (Vodafone) given you evidence as to how the fraudsters proved they were your son? Seems you have a case against them for giving access to your sons account for someone without the correct ID.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Hi Chopper,

It would appear, that someone went into a Vodafone store in London, and requested a sim, Vodafone then sent my son a text, asking if he had authorised this, but due to his work (Army) he is not allowed his phone on him..........so he never got to the message until a few hours later.......then phoned them, and told them it was unauthorised..........but the scammer had already walked away with a sim for it.

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode to do this. Which, as Im sure your aware, is not difficult nowadays to obtain.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 15th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    ChopperST
    Hi Chopper,

It would appear, that someone went into a Vodafone store in London, and requested a sim, Vodafone then sent my son a text, asking if he had authorised this, but due to his work (Army) he is not allowed his phone on him..........so he never got to the message until a few hours later.......then phoned them, and told them it was unauthorised..........but the scammer had already walked away with a sim for it.

Apparently, all you need is Name, DOB, and postcode to do this. Which, as Im sure your aware, is not difficult nowadays to obtain.
    I don't want to state which mobile provider I'm with but what I would do is get a friend or family member to enquire (who has an account with VF) and explain your story and see what their policy is in store issuing a replacement SIM face to face is. I can't find their policy online I'm afraid.

Being able to walk into a store and give some very easily found details and ask for a new SIM without any photographic ID seems negligent on VF behalf.

On this note - potentially a complaint to the information commissioners office is required. If your son uses similar security on his VF account, potentially the fraudsters have used that to data mine and get enough info to then trick TSB into believing it was your son online and on / or on the phone.

Where was your son at the time - posted in the UK or abroad?

Presumably you have raised a complaint with TSB for them to investigate what security details were used to login to the account etc?
    Last edited by ChopperST; 15-05-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    TSB sent a 4 digit pin code when the first transaction was requested, but of course, they had control of my sons phone. So as far as the bank is concerned......it was him.

But what gets me is, why do they only rely on a text message to verify this.......and not follow up with comp generated emails etc etc.

TSB security has been very iffy over these last couple of weeks, although they will say otherwise.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 15th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    ChopperST
    Have they elaborated how they got into your sons account in the first place prior to the OTP being generated? i.e. phone or internet?
    • Alex2011
    • By Alex2011 15th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Alex2011
    Its difficult to know how much to put on here?

Basically he has been a victim of Sim swap fraud

How they managed to get into his bank account, and transfer an ISA from one a/c to his other a/c, then with 8 faster transfers........empty his account?
    All the transactions are traceable and reversible, just takes time to investigate the issue as sometimes the claims are false or just fake as some people are trying to squeeze the money from banks.
    • Alex2011
    • By Alex2011 15th May 18, 2:59 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Alex2011
    SIM swaps required to validate customers security details, how someone pretend to be OP son and to pass all validation and security questions - this is very odd and fishy.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    No chopper, as far as Vodafone are concerned.......it’s case closed.

Like hell it is.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 15th May 18, 3:09 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Well apparently, no proof of ID other than Name, DOB, postcode.

I don’t want to suggest that anyone in said store could be in on it........but it makes you think?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 15th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    Candyapple
    SIM swaps required to validate customers security details, how someone pretend to be OP son and to pass all validation and security questions - this is very odd and fishy.
    Originally posted by Alex2011
    Similar thread here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74173166#post74173166

Seems that a lot of mobile phone operators are very slack when it comes to things like security.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Vodafone
    Hi Regan55,

I understand that this is a concerning time for your son.

So I can get this matter looked into further, please ask him to email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating his query in the question box, he'll also need to quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, he'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that I've received it.

Thanks,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • GAD1981
    • By GAD1981 16th May 18, 10:26 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    GAD1981
    God this is terrifying! I was recently hacked with my TSB account too but thankfully not to that extent! I hope it's all sorted!
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Hi Lee,

Vodafone’s own fraud dept have investigated this......and then closed investigations. I am a 3rd party on his account to try and deal with this.

Vodafone have other ideas.
    • Regan55
    • By Regan55 16th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Regan55
    Have they elaborated how they got into your sons account in the first place prior to the OTP being generated? i.e. phone or internet?
    Originally posted by ChopperST

We are having a farcical time with TSB chopper. Help lines are constantly ringing, for hours, and I mean hours. Last night trying to get an update........2 1/2 hours with phone ringing.......only to be told, that they have no record of my sons arranged “safe word” so we can deal with things in his absence. So they would not talk to my wife. Now TSB have to phone my son and ourselves (3 way call) to arrange again the authority for us to act for him.

Not got any clue as to how they got details. TSB will say the security is 100%.......everyone knows different.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 16th May 18, 11:12 AM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 5,671 Thanks
    badger09
    Hi Lee,

Vodafone’s own fraud dept have investigated this......and then closed investigations. I am a 3rd party on his account to try and deal with this.

Vodafone have other ideas.
    Have you read post 36 above?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,440Users online

Martin's Twitter