Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year
    • 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year 1st May 18 at 4:02 PM
    Barclays is doubling its Blue Rewards scheme incentives for new and existing customers who switch an account to it - meaning they can earn at least £132 in the first 12 months...
    Read the full story:
    'Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 3rd May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    There is a separate offer for Barclays customers who don't have an account to switch and turn on Blue Rewards for the first time in May to get double rewards for May only.

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/#double-rewards-may
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • aj23
    • By aj23 4th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    aj23
    Yes it is.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    So after one year, is that £7 before the fee, so you'd only get £4 a month?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 4th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    Herbalus
    So after one year, is that £7 before the fee, so you'd only get £4 a month?
    Originally posted by aj23
    Yes. £4 per month is normal circumstances. You get £3.50 per month for the first 2 direct debits, totalling £7, and then there is a £3 fee payable on 1st of each month when the rewards.

This offer is to double the reward to £7 per direct debit (max 2), but the fee stays at £3 throughout.
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 4th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    pmatt
    I've just started my switch to Barclays from NatWest.

Vastly better experience than with NatWest. Their process was hugely complicated and time-consuming.

Online application to Barclays was quick and easy. Two days later I got my debit card. Had to go into branch with ID, but no hard sell -- they just photocopied it, got me to give a specimen signature, and that was it. Also had to do this with NatWest, but it took much longer.

Slightly worried about talk of needing two direct debits as part of the switch. I'm transferring the dormant NatWest account, thought I will separately be moving some direct debits as I do intend on using this account.

Incidentally, I was rejected by both First Direct and HSBC. The Barclays offer is actually better, it just takes longer to get the total amount. Probably quite sensible of Barclays to make sure you stay.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 4th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    davethorp
    Just as I was considering closing my Barclays account, this happens.

Question now becomes do I switch my main banking to them (unlikely) or do I just switch an account with 2 direct debits on it and pay the £800 needed for blue rewards in manually.

• aj23
    • By aj23 4th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    aj23
    Yes. £4 per month is normal circumstances. You get £3.50 per month for the first 2 direct debits, totalling £7, and then there is a £3 fee payable on 1st of each month when the rewards.

This offer is to double the reward to £7 per direct debit (max 2), but the fee stays at £3 throughout.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    I don't know if this is worth doing. I only switched 7 months ago. I'm had savings with Barclays before and the staff have been clueless.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 4th May 18, 9:49 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Slightly worried about talk of needing two direct debits as part of the switch. I'm transferring the dormant NatWest account, thought I will separately be moving some direct debits as I do intend on using this account.
    Originally posted by pmatt
    I think there's a case of Chinese Whispers happening somewhere. There is no requirement for the account being switched to have two DDs transferred along with it. You will however need to have two DDs set up on your nominated Barclays account (and £800 monthly income) to be eligible for the full £7 Blue Rewards loyalty reward which is then doubled to £14 - for the month of May if you're a new sign-up, or for the next 12 months if you use the Current Account Switch Service either as a new or existing customer.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 4th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    pmatt
    I think there's a case of Chinese Whispers happening somewhere. There is no requirement for the account being switched to have two DDs transferred along with it.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    I checked Barclays website. It says two things:

First: Switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service [my emphasis]

But, in the terms and conditions it says: [You will] receive double reward for 12 months if you use the Current Account Switch Service . . . request a full switch to an eligible Barclays current account (new customers)

The terms and conditions do not specify what "everyday banking" means. There is no explicit requirement for the switched account to have any direct debits.
    • Savings1234
    • By Savings1234 4th May 18, 11:11 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Savings1234
    Does anyone know if the platinum credit card with Barclays blue rewards would therefore get double cashback too? £2 instead of £1 a month
    • ronbell101
    • By ronbell101 5th May 18, 11:39 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ronbell101
    applied 2nd May and received an email advising me to visit the branch to verify my id, haven't done that,got a text yesterday saying thanks for opening an account with us and received my debit card today !!
    • moneysavinggirl40
    • By moneysavinggirl40 5th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    moneysavinggirl40
    x2 dd under same mandate
    That is my interpretation too - also that there is no need to have 2 different dd mandates to get the full £7 (or £14) - just two dd payments, which could be under the same mandate?
    Originally posted by beefturnmail
    Is this correct? can one just set up x2 manual pulls per month or regular weekly pulls to satisfy barclays to the same destination. and how do you turn on blue rewards once you're logged in?
    • moneysavinggirl40
    • By moneysavinggirl40 5th May 18, 6:32 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    moneysavinggirl40
    how to credit £800
    To be eligible for Barclays Blue Rewards, you must do two things
    each calendar month:
    1 Pay in at least £800 into your nominated current account

Can you make a payment from another an external bank provided into the barclays account? I have read the following which suggests that if you have another barclays account and you transfer some money into the one linked with blue rewards that transfer of monies will not count towards the £800 nor will any money you've transferred from rewards wallet

here's the quote "When working out how much you have paid into the account, we will ignore:

Amounts received from other personal Barclays accounts in your name, including any joint accounts or savings accounts. (If money is paid in from a Barclays Business Account, this will count towards your qualifying amount)"

Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards? as i am opening account this month
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 5th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Ashen
    Went in branch to switch an account to my existing Barclays, straightforward enough - just over 10 minutes, with my appointment itself delayed by about 10 minutes extra waiting.

No selling, asked me about income, expenditure on various things - no ID required (mentioning that as the online literature is somewhat unclear for existing account switches).

Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards? as i am opening account this month
    Originally posted by moneysavinggirl40
    Yes.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 5th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I checked Barclays website. It says two things:

First: Switch your everyday banking to us using the Current Account Switch Service [my emphasis]

But, in the terms and conditions it says: [You will] receive double reward for 12 months if you use the Current Account Switch Service . . . request a full switch to an eligible Barclays current account (new customers)

The terms and conditions do not specify what "everyday banking" means. There is no explicit requirement for the switched account to have any direct debits.
    Originally posted by pmatt
    Yes, that bit is poorly explained. By "everyday banking" I think they mean use the account in a way that meets the Blue Reward criteria, i.e. pay in £800 a month and two active Direct Debits.

The switched account doesn't need any DDs.

Does anyone know if the platinum credit card with Barclays blue rewards would therefore get double cashback too? £2 instead of £1 a month
    Originally posted by Savings1234
    Yes. All associated rewards are doubled. So the mortgage reward becomes £10, home and contents insurance gives £6, a loan gives £2, the Blue Rewards Credit Card gives £2, and the enhanced cashback is doubled to 2%.

applied 2nd May and received an email advising me to visit the branch to verify my id, haven't done that,got a text yesterday saying thanks for opening an account with us and received my debit card today !!
    Originally posted by ronbell101
    Still a good idea to pop down to the branch within the next week or two as missing KYC information *will* get flagged up at some point and become an issue.

Am I okay to make an online bank transfer from an external bank to satisfy barclays £800 requirement for double cash rewards?
    Originally posted by moneysavinggirl40
    Yes. Cash deposits and third party transfers from any source are all fine.

Transfers from Barclays accounts are acceptable as long as they're not your own accounts, OR the donor account is a Business account, OR it's a Standing Order from somebody else's Barclays account.
    Last edited by Flobberchops; 05-05-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 6th May 18, 3:07 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    Does anybody know if the two direct debits actually have to be taken each month in order to get the £7 per direct debit reward

I was thinking if one of my direct debits was a credit card but say one month I didn't spend anything on that card would I still get the £7 because the direct debit was Active or does money actually have to be taken each month
    • acc
    • By acc 6th May 18, 7:26 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    acc
    Does anybody know if the two direct debits actually have to be taken each month in order to get the £7 per direct debit reward

I was thinking if one of my direct debits was a credit card but say one month I didn't spend anything on that card would I still get the £7 because the direct debit was Active or does money actually have to be taken each month
    Originally posted by 18cc
    The Barclays Blue Rewards page states that you receive £3.50 for each of the first two direct debits that are successfully paid:
    Receive a £3.50 reward for each of your first 2 Direct Debit payments, up to £7 each month. You’re eligible for this reward if the Direct Debits are successfully paid from your chosen current account.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 6th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 38,791 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Originally posted by 18cc
    As stated above both the DDs need to paid each month.
    So, just make sure you use both cards-even if one is for a teeny amount- it would still be a DD and is very easily acheived if using the card contactless.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2280 cc+.2205mm (£2.20.5) + RK £5.21= £30.25.5
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 6th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    thanks for the replies!
    • ronbell101
    • By ronbell101 7th May 18, 10:22 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ronbell101
    Trying my best to switch my account online but constantly being directed to the "apply" page
    I already have the account, I now want to "switch" a Nat West account to Barclays to get the double rewards
    Any one help ??
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 7th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    I'm going to apply and switch tomorrow I was going to do it today but being bank holiday Monday I wondered if there would be any glitches perhaps that is what is happening as I'm sure a lot of their systems are shut down for upgrades etc over the bank holiday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

1,940Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin