Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 286Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year
    • 1st May 18, 4:02 PM
    MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year 1st May 18 at 4:02 PM
    Barclays is doubling its Blue Rewards scheme incentives for new and existing customers who switch an account to it - meaning they can earn at least 132 in the first 12 months...
    Read the full story:
    'Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 2nd May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 5,237 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Sign up, stick to the conditions and they turn up every month on the 2nd or so as you would expect
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 2nd May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    Have always received reward without any problems unlike Co-op when they 1st launched theirs.

I've got my appointment tomorrow with Barclays to switch a maturing Nationwide (as done all other switches), so hopefully all will go smoothly.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 2nd May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    crumpetman
    Is the branch visit mandatory? If it is then I will not go for this one, too much time wasted in the bank while they tell you about all their products.
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 2nd May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    Is the branch visit mandatory? If it is then I will not go for this one, too much time wasted in the bank while they tell you about all their products.
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    It appears so. Every account I've opened, in the last 14 months, has not required me to visit a branch in order to switch. Barclays, I set everything up online, and had my ID verified, but I still have to go in. Fortunately, one is near my office, so I'll be heading down on my lunch.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 2nd May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    It appears so. Every account I've opened, in the last 14 months, has not required me to visit a branch in order to switch. Barclays, I set everything up online, and had my ID verified, but I still have to go in. Fortunately, one is near my office, so I'll be heading down on my lunch.
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    Let us know how it goes - don't mind popping in, flashing my passport and then leaving - if it's a sit down, lengthy hard-sell then not sure I will bother either
    • Ashen
    • By Ashen 3rd May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    Ashen
    Been told when trying to book an appointment that you can switch online if logging in via PIN Sentry. I'm not in a position to check that right now though.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 3rd May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    If they do just cut them off a say no thanks. Bit silly not to switch because they might try and sell a credit card in branch.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    Is the 14 for the two direct debits before the 3 fee? So it's 11 a month?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 3rd May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Is the 14 for the two direct debits before the 3 fee? So it's 11 a month?
    Originally posted by aj23
    Yes it is.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 3rd May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    Yes it is.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    Thanks.

Hmm I don't know. I switched from Nationwide to Halifax in October. I didn't really want to switch again before 12 months and Barclays isn't my preferred banker but this is quite a good offer in comparison to what's on offer.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 3rd May 18, 1:12 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    I have just wasted 45 minutes of my life dealing with a Barclays telephone operator.

She knew nothing about the switching deal (or indeed about switching).

So I then asked her to make an appointment for me at a local branch. She said she had system errors after 10 minutes of my being kept on hold. She then said she'd ask her colleagues if they had the error, and reverted to me after 10 minutes to say one of them could help. And then she cut me off instead of transferring me.

I would do everything online, naturally, but in the rare circumstance when one needs a human, I am more-often-than-not disappointed.

And then another 15 minutes of having to compose a complaint

What's the point of having telephone operators in this Monty-Pythonesque situation?
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 3rd May 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 10,267 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    Been told when trying to book an appointment that you can switch online if logging in via PIN Sentry. I'm not in a position to check that right now though.
    Originally posted by Ashen

Couldn't find an option to switch online, but Barclays online account is poor and difficult to find things. If anyone has managed to find away of doing this online please let me know.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 3rd May 18, 2:12 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    I made my appointment online via live chat, took less then 5 minutes.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 3rd May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    keiran
    My most recent contact with the switch team at Barclays now has differing information, which MSErs may want to take account of.

He said that the other bank account to be switched into an existing Barclays Blue Rewards account has to have two direct debits paying out monthly in order to show that it is a primary, or active bank account that is being switched and not a dormant one. (One's existing direct debits within the Blue Rewards account are irrelevant)

He said that the switch team were clear on this internally, but he said, unprompted, that the Barclays website terms were not that clear, and then he even mentioned the MSE article as not being that clear!. He said he would email seniors about this
    • Markyboy112
    • By Markyboy112 3rd May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Markyboy112
    The link on the switching offer page only redirects you to the page if you were a new customer, no sign of how to start the switch if you are an existing customer.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 3rd May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    Herbalus
    My most recent contact with the switch team at Barclays now has differing information, which MSErs may want to take account of.

He said that the other bank account to be switched into an existing Barclays Blue Rewards account has to have two direct debits paying out monthly in order to show that it is a primary, or active bank account that is being switched and not a dormant one. (One's existing direct debits within the Blue Rewards account are irrelevant)

He said that the switch team were clear on this internally, but he said, unprompted, that the Barclays website terms were not that clear, and then he even mentioned the MSE article as not being that clear!. He said he would email seniors about this
    Originally posted by keiran
    It is their own problem if their terms are not clear.

They will get a lot of complaints if they dont pay the bonus on account of what they understand internally but do not communicate to customers.
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 3rd May 18, 3:06 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    Originally posted by keiran
    I saw nothing about transferring direct debits on the site, or T&Cs, so I'll kick up a stink about that, if it comes to it (I know to set up 2 DDs after switch for Rewards).

The visit to the branch was fairly painless. Didn't try to sell me anything extra. I printed off the attachments in the switch email I received, and filled in my new Barclays, and old, bank account details, which certainly made it easier finding my details (and is something that isn't explicitly mentioned in the email).
    Also took my old debit card, which was asked for.

I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. But it does seem odd I had to fill in paperwork for something I'd already done online.
    • bluehydrangeas
    • By bluehydrangeas 3rd May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    bluehydrangeas
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    Thanks for the info - was considering switching one of my accounts to Barclays, but if it needs a branch visit to open a new account, I'll give it a miss.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 3rd May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    aj23
    Thanks for the info - was considering switching one of my accounts to Barclays, but if it needs a branch visit to open a new account, I'll give it a miss.
    Originally posted by bluehydrangeas

When I switched to Nationwide I had to go into branch with ID. Halifax I didn't though.
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 3rd May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    youngretired
    My appointment went smoothly, straight forward switch paperwork completed and no selling. It would have been completed in 5 minutes though the personal banker double checked the switch offer to make sure he didn't have to reset the Blue rewards. He checked that I was already getting the Blue Rewards.

No mention of switching account having to have DD, though I'm switching my Nationwide which isn't dormant as has standing orders on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

7,227Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin