Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,846Posts
    • 172,420Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 3
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 8th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 48,925 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    I've just had a look at the Trespass site. It looks very similar to the Mountain Warehouse site. I would quite like a gilet for walking in the spring and autumn. I can get quite warm when I'm walking briskly, and a jacket can sometimes seem 'too much'. I'll bear Trespass in mind if/when I decide the time is right.

I see you have dipped your toe into the local Healthy Walk. What a coincidence to meet someone whose daughter is working in Norway
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 3:21 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've just had a look at the Trespass site. It looks very similar to the Mountain Warehouse site. I would quite like a gilet for walking in the spring and autumn. I can get quite warm when I'm walking briskly, and a jacket can sometimes seem 'too much'. I'll bear Trespass in mind if/when I decide the time is right.
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    Sounds good - the shopping mall visit with my sister is confirmed for Thursday, but my local shopping centre has a Mountain Warehouse, so I might check there beforehand, if I can.

I see you have dipped your toe into the local Healthy Walk. What a coincidence to meet someone whose daughter is working in Norway
    It felt very New Agey/ very Celestine Prophecy to meet someone like that - coincidences are the universe telling you you're on the path, that sort of thing. Which I didn't mention, as I'd just met her, it makes you sound like a loon
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ug, I shouldn't have done that shopping on the same day as the walk ... I'm suffering a bit, though I don't think anything's broken. I *have* managed my SB target - increased by 10 pts (25% for me ) today. And I'm doing a few HMRC things. Early to bed, I reckon.
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 8th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,877 Thanks
    ZTD
    And thank you for your kind words on my energy levels - yep, a few years ago, I thought I'd never be able to travel again. Quite frankly, I thought whatever illness I had might kill me, though I'd never have written that at the time. Now I'm certain I'm better and likely to be more so, it's okay to say. Though I suspect I'll be a bit of a hypochrondriac for the rest of my life
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Did you read the link about CFS that *Robin* left on her diary? Reading that it would seem that many people did themselves severe and permanent damage by over-exertion (or possibly even just exertion) at the wrong time. I was somewhat shocked by some of the stories, and it's difficult to surprise me these days, never mind shock.

I think reading Zero Hedge is motivation to not bother. Why worry about your pension when the world will end, the global markets will crash and your £500K pension will net you roughly an out of date can of aldi beans due to hyper inflation.

I still enjoy reading it though. Must be my innate pessimism.
    Originally posted by Cicatriz
    You should always read things you don't agree with, it keeps you out of your Filter Bubble, and stops you from being blindsided. It's one of the things that makes me read the Guardian from time to time.

And it's often a laugh a minute, especially when they're being earnest.

Hello Cicatriz I've realised that there are multiple viewpoints in ZH posts, because of guest posters.
    There are, and that's one of its advantages.

Sometimes the world is going to end,
    It always makes me wonder about people's obsession about the end of the world. I never think it matters if the world is going to end, only if it's going to end for me...

For over 100,000 people every year - the world did end. So long as I'm not one of them, I'm OK...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,794 Thanks
    michelle09
    Liverpool One was always kinda crazy at weekends anyway. Besides, I'm a Londoner now, it was good practice.

Glad that your energy levels are building again, keep plodding on but don't push yourself too much.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 11,236 Posts
    • 60,310 Thanks
    edinburgher
    You should always read things you don't agree with, it keeps you out of your Filter Bubble, and stops you from being blindsided. It's one of the things that makes me read the Guardian from time to time.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    This is the same reason I keep up-to-date with the Telegraph
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Did you read the link about CFS that *Robin* left on her diary? Reading that it would seem that many people did themselves severe and permanent damage by over-exertion (or possibly even just exertion) at the wrong time. I was somewhat shocked by some of the stories, and it's difficult to surprise me these days, never mind shock.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Can you pm me the linkie to her diary, Z? I definitely agree that over-exertion at the wrong time can set you back - I've done that a couple of times when I was badly ill, just 10 minutes too much set me back a couple of months. It's hard to believe, I think thats why people don't say it much.

And it's often a laugh a minute, especially when they're being earnest.
    I agree, though its hard to laugh at them.

The Grauniad! Well, mostly I agree with it, but there's a strand of bitter mockery that's been growing recently that I find very unpleasant.

It always makes me wonder about people's obsession about the end of the world. I never think it matters if the world is going to end, only if it's going to end for me...

For over 100,000 people every year - the world did end. So long as I'm not one of them, I'm OK...
    The apocalyptic stuff is odd, isn't it ... there must be some evolutionary use, because though it has peaks and troughs, it never goes away. And yes, apocalypse happens on an individual level every day for some people ...

Liverpool One was always kinda crazy at weekends anyway. Besides, I'm a Londoner now, it was good practice.

Glad that your energy levels are building again, keep plodding on but don't push yourself too much.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Thanks Michelle

Originally posted by edinburgher
    Yep, me too. I can't bear to *listen* to Donald Trump, he makes my ears cringe, but I certainly read things about him, just to keep an eye on the wind ...
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Finally re-opened my hmrc linkie ... it went a lot smoother than I thought it would. I need to check my credit card statements, to see if there's anything else on there that should be declared, and I might be able to claim for a few books here and there.

But 52% is done! So says hmrc It's all the French info to do now, then dividends and savings.

I've opted to pay Class 2 NI for the whole year, it specifically mentions authors "taking a break" and I plan to expand the writing a lot this year, so I might as well.

Reached the SB goal today, and got my first winning streak 7 days goals on the trot
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,877 Thanks
    ZTD
    Can you pm me the linkie to her diary, Z?
    The post in question is this one: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73676617&postcount=355

I definitely agree that over-exertion at the wrong time can set you back - I've done that a couple of times when I was badly ill, just 10 minutes too much set me back a couple of months. It's hard to believe, I think thats why people don't say it much.
    Well as you read through the article, you may see the parts which made me angry such as "Robert’s story is one of many, although the NHS does not keep a record of harms caused by graded exercise for ME."

When I went through that CFS process, the psychologists were the lunatics in charge of the asylum, and I thank of all the supernatural deities that I had the confidence in my own perception and my knowledge to have said on quite a number of occasions "Tried it, it's bollox and I'm not doing it again." despite rather intense pressure. I could really have harmed myself like some of those people in that article, and ended up going to bed and never leaving.

I agree, though its hard to laugh at them.

The Grauniad! Well, mostly I agree with it, but there's a strand of bitter mockery that's been growing recently that I find very unpleasant.
    To understand that, you need to know the story behind them. The Guardian used to be a group which included Autotrader (the car sale magazine/website). Autotrader was the profitable part of the group, the Guardian the concrete double-decker bus around its feet. In 2014, they sold Autotrader http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10587296/Guardian-Media-Group-gets-600m-for-AutoTrader-stake.html . Since then, they've been running a loss as a group. If the journalists have any sense (not guaranteed), they will be seeing the writing on the wall, and increasingly fearing the day they have to get a proper job of writing things that people want to read, rather than their current self-indulgent flashing their virtue in every direction to everyone that comes near - like a drunken Scotsman with a particularly white arse.

The apocalyptic stuff is odd, isn't it ... there must be some evolutionary use, because though it has peaks and troughs, it never goes away.
    Well people who look forward to the apocalypse (forward as into the future, rather than with anticipation), are by-definition not here-and-now people. You may find people who've stockpiled food for "the Rapture" rather handy when the rather more mundane "we've stopped dredging the rivers and it has flooded like only 99 people out of 100 said it would" unexpected event occurs.

Yep, me too. I can't bear to *listen* to Donald Trump, he makes my ears cringe, but I certainly read things about him, just to keep an eye on the wind ...
    I don't listen to him, and I don't read beyond the headlines if the headline can be explained by "People who don't like Donald Trump making stuff up to show they don't like Donald Trump."
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,877 Thanks
    ZTD
    To be honest, the only person worth reading in the Telegraph is Christopher Booker.

His searing contempt for the council leaders, social workers, barristers and judges that threaten him is quite refreshing.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for the linkie, Z - I'll read that later on, I'm still in tax declaration mode, it's just that I'm skiving right now ...

So sorry to hear the !!!!!ness that you've gone through - and yes, thank god you had the courage of your own convictions. Counselling on the NHS was wrecked by the demand for evidence, but they don't keep any record of graded exercise mistakes? Disgusting

Interesting about the Grauniad, though, I'd deffo sensed something was up. And I'm not going anywhere near the whole "making things up" debate, I want to be able to sleep at night
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 10th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 11,236 Posts
    • 60,310 Thanks
    edinburgher
    like a drunken Scotsman with a particularly white arse.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    So every Scotsman?

Can confirm - am Scotsman.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Okay, mse wins:

- yet another day when SB is working for me, though I had another heart attack when I reached a page saying I'd been disqualified from a survey and on checking found I'd already been given the points. V odd.

- YouGov - I did a survey a few weeks ago that crashed, and never got around to reporting it. An email turned up in my inbox telling me I'd been awarded the points, hurray, good for YouGov.

- all French info arranged, I just have to input it now, which is trickier than for the English stuff, as the format changes every year. I've got notes and screenprints from last year, so it might go well.

- pretty sure I'm okay to do sales shopping tomorrow for a windproof/waterpoof coat, needed for Norway and futureproofing in general.

- sunshine! Got some washing in the washer getting thoroughly washed, hope to have it half dry by dusk, finish it off in the house.

Still catching up on things, but I'm getting there.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    So every Scotsman?

Can confirm - am Scotsman.
    Hurray!
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Also did an hour's chopping up of brambles in the garden - but good lord, the washing didn't dry at all while it was out. I shall complain
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jan 18, 5:12 PM
    • 29,846 Posts
    • 172,420 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I finally have a windproof/waterproof three quarter length coat - Trespass £60 reduced from oodles and oodles. And I bought a diary in Poundland - can't be doing with the cute little "tear off a sheet a day" thing on my desk, it's not useful, even though adorable cats are printed all over it

Haven't yet input the French accounts, checking out the shopping took it out of me, though I'll try to do it later.
    Retired August 2016
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3,613 Posts
    • 20,875 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Just found your new diary KC!!

Glad you have got all the stuff sorted for your 'French' inputting - it's nice when you know you have all the information together (what I need to do for next year).

Boo to the washing not drying, but it's probably too cold? Can't wait to get ours back on the line - though we need to put a new line up (as ours was a piece of rope that broke); or put our posh collapsible one up that we bought with our wedding money that has been sitting in the shed since we moved house! Another spring job for DH me thinks.

Glad you got a decent coat - the trip sounds really exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it.

MCI x
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £89, 489.14 (20.06.2018)
    OP's to Date £6000

Renovation Fund:£736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £2.50 (after microwave purchase
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,607 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you got a coat
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,877 Thanks
    ZTD
    I finally have a windproof/waterproof three quarter length coat - Trespass £60 reduced from oodles and oodles.
    And when will it arrive?

That's the one thing that irritates me about women's "hiking" fashion. Women get long coats - men don't.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 11,005 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Your coat sounds an absolute bargain - well done

Double well done for tackling the brambles - fiendish things

PP xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

8,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Eh? I think you are confusing a poll with an opinion I wrote my polls in an attempt not to lead the vote, otherwis? https://t.co/2IUtL7vBOr

• Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Follow Martin