Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,589Posts
    • 170,282Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 2
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 56,215 Posts
    • 227,277 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hurrah It's booked How exciting
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 73,501 Thanks
    greent
    Hurrah It's booked How exciting
    Originally posted by beanielou
    ^^ This!!! Pleased you've sorted it
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £3290.25/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £613.49/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • starnac
    • By starnac 3rd Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 5,310 Posts
    • 25,010 Thanks
    starnac
    Happy new diary. Norway sounds lovely. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time
    Savings £2235.59
    Overpayments #182 made £443.28/£1208.15
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £568.42/£2018
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello lovely people

Whoop! Happy New Shiny Lovely Fresh Start!
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yep, it's a fresh start alright - maybe I should have called it that, not "travelling on" too late now, but the thought is there.

Unbelievably, the SB for the Norwegian holiday have tracked, though the Wilko delivery hasn't ... since Norway is about a million points (I exaggerate) I don't really care.

Three year railcard has been renewed I didn't get the benefit that first year, but since then it's been invaluable. My current one expires tomorrow but this replacement *might* arrive before my trip to the British Library next week. Even if it doesn't, the 3 year discount is still worth having.

I was in London yesterday - another British Museum exhibition, which was *so* interesting. Bit too blowy on the street, though, it did occur to me to worry about gusts blowing roof tiles and then queuing at A&E ... not a useful way to go, after all! But window shopping at Heal's was worth the wind some very lovely things were seen!

Today ... more work on the border at the front, that's exposed by the fence being blown over. And my accounts these are now a matter of urgency. Expect much swearing, metaphorically speaking.
    Retired August 2016
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 5th Jan 18, 4:09 PM
    • 8,335 Posts
    • 48,920 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Mr Goldie renewed his railcard last week, he's had his money's worth out of it.

It's just over 2 years until I can get one - can't wait!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Even though I could only use it for 2 years, not the 3, it's paid for itself over and over again, it's been fantastic. And I've just had an email to say my replacement card has been despatched! That's service.

YouGov survey done.

An hour's work in the front border done - because its so easy to access, thats much more effective than in the back garden, hurray.

I'm currently admiring the Trespass sale - it's all a bit different from Primark but I might as well buy quality for Norway - there won't be any easily accessible shops in most of the places, after all

Liverpool Derby on TV tonight. Both teams have fans within the family....
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 56,215 Posts
    • 227,277 Thanks
    beanielou
    You Gov survery done too.Yawn.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 32,601 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Lovely new diary and great news about the Norway booking.

We have only done 1 cruise, ship only 700 people, a Baltic cruise and we loved it, had hoped to do a Norwegian Ffiords a while back, but they would not accept me because I was under investigation for a health issue, had a couple more since then, so hoping that later this year the latest will be resolved and we can book (fingers crossed smiley needed)

I hope the fence repairs not too expensive, blustery, but no damage here
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 5th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 10,556 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Even though I could only use it for 2 years, not the 3, it's paid for itself over and over again, it's been fantastic. And I've just had an email to say my replacement card has been despatched! That's service.

YouGov survey done.

An hour's work in the front border done - because its so easy to access, thats much more effective than in the back garden, hurray.

I'm currently admiring the Trespass sale - it's all a bit different from Primark but I might as well buy quality for Norway - there won't be any easily accessible shops in most of the places, after all

Liverpool Derby on TV tonight. Both teams have fans within the family....
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Good quality outdoor clothing that is fit for purpose = essential. Go for it
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 5th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    maggiem
    Love my railcard too - very useful.

Great to read your plans - so lovely to hear you feeling you have the energy to do some of this. Enjoy, have fun
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 6th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 4,440 Thanks
    michelle09
    With everyone else on the winter gear. Finally bought a winter coat in November and it's a proper one with decent insulation. So much better. I was an idiot for not doing it years ago.

Haha. I used to live in Liverpool, the derby days were always a good time.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 6th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 30,220 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Trespass comes up quite often on the bay at a discount.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Lovely new diary and great news about the Norway booking.

We have only done 1 cruise, ship only 700 people, a Baltic cruise and we loved it, had hoped to do a Norwegian Ffiords a while back, but they would not accept me because I was under investigation for a health issue, had a couple more since then, so hoping that later this year the latest will be resolved and we can book (fingers crossed smiley needed)

I hope the fence repairs not too expensive, blustery, but no damage here
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Thanks maddie! Hope you can join the cruise you want really soon.

Good quality outdoor clothing that is fit for purpose = essential. Go for it
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    yep, you're right - there's a degree of future proofing in it too. All good

Love my railcard too - very useful.

Great to read your plans - so lovely to hear you feeling you have the energy to do some of this. Enjoy, have fun
    Originally posted by maggiem
    Thank you so much! That's really kind.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    With everyone else on the winter gear. Finally bought a winter coat in November and it's a proper one with decent insulation. So much better. I was an idiot for not doing it years ago.

Haha. I used to live in Liverpool, the derby days were always a good time.
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Excellent! I have good jackets, and a wool three quarter length, but nothing windproof and waterproof.

Blimey, I've never been in Liverpool City Centre for a derby more power to your elbow

Trespass comes up quite often on the bay at a discount.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    That's good to know the current plan is to go to the local shopping mall place, 8 miles away or so, to check out the Trespass and Decathlon shops. I won't buy anything thats "just good enough" - I'll buy what's right, or keep an eye out on the bay, as you say.

I spent ages yesterday getting all my tax paperwork in order - there's one French bank statement I can't find, but that info is easily available online. They were in the most confusion they've ever been, life has sort of been like that this last year.

OTOH, I've got to grips with letting the SB videos roll on my phone. Got to download *all* of the apps now
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 10,698 Thanks
    themadvix
    If your budget will stretch to it KC, Patagonia and Paramo (budget would really have to stretch!) are both really good from an ethical point of view for waterproofs. Paramo have a refurb shop on ebay, I believe (they refurb all their products for resale).
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £2557
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you madvix, I'll check out those names.

I went on my first council-run Healthy Walk this morning then popped over to the local supermarket to stock up on cheese and pesto which has been quite an expedition, actually. This walk was a Level 1 - pleasant to pootle along for a chat (I met a woman whose daughter is living in Northern Norway for 6 months, working the tourist season I kid you not) but won't help me with my stamina issues. I'll have to do both

One interesting current point - a post on Zero Hedge today links to a google drive-lodged pdf of Michael Wolff's book about Trump - I've opened it, and lodged it on my own google drive, but can't download it - it's too popular

Today, now that my tax papers are in sequential order, it's about the accounts. I may be gone some time
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 8th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 11,189 Posts
    • 60,041 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I am very glad to see that your energy levels are building again - I bet the idea of leisurely pootles and cruises seemed a million miles away just a few years ago?

Can't believe you read ZH and it's 50 shades of crazy, but haven't been able to sort your pension out yet
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I know, I know. It's not ability ... it's simply that I absolutely loathe dealing with pensions. If there was a fine for *not* dealing with them, like for your tax return, I'd do it, by the nth hour. There *is* a financial fine, of course - but it's not visible.

Oh! Okay, I've just described the mindset that will enable me to take control of the dratted stuff thanks Ed.

And thank you for your kind words on my energy levels - yep, a few years ago, I thought I'd never be able to travel again. Quite frankly, I thought whatever illness I had might kill me, though I'd never have written that at the time. Now I'm certain I'm better and likely to be more so, it's okay to say. Though I suspect I'll be a bit of a hypochrondriac for the rest of my life
    Retired August 2016
    • Cicatriz
    • By Cicatriz 8th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Cicatriz

Can't believe you read ZH and it's 50 shades of crazy, but haven't been able to sort your pension out yet
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Heh.

I think reading Zero Hedge is motivation to not bother. Why worry about your pension when the world will end, the global markets will crash and your £500K pension will net you roughly an out of date can of aldi beans due to hyper inflation.

I still enjoy reading it though. Must be my innate pessimism.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 29,589 Posts
    • 170,282 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello Cicatriz I've realised that there are multiple viewpoints in ZH posts, because of guest posters. Sometimes the world is going to end, sometimes Trump is the best thing since sliced bread (!),and there's a lot of nasty "snowflake" insults to wade through, but occasionally there are genuinely interesting posts about geological information, say, that nobody else has put out there.

Right, my SB points are racking up in the background, as my phone watches videos, so I'm off to sort my numbers out for the last 6 months of my self employment, and then check what HMRC want for the remainder of the year. The French apartment complicates thing of course but I'll sort it
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin