Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 30ismorethan171991haha
    • By 30ismorethan171991haha 22nd Jun 17, 1:37 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    30ismorethan171991haha
    Universal JObmatch
    • 22nd Jun 17, 1:37 AM
    Universal JObmatch 22nd Jun 17 at 1:37 AM
    Hi i'm new here.

I signed up to Universal JObmatch, but then do I have to log-on and apply for jobs everyday?
Page 1
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 22nd Jun 17, 5:12 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    • 22nd Jun 17, 5:12 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 5:12 AM
    You certainly have to apply for jobs every week. Depends upon your Jobsearch agreement whether
    you have to do it daily or not.
    Don;t allow the DWP access to your account, would be my advice. You don;t have to despite what the Jobcentre may tell you. You must sign up to Universal Jobmatch and you must put a CV onto it, but you don;t have to give the DWP access to it.

The number of jobs advertised on Universal Jobmatch has gone down massively in the past six weeks or so. They must have started weeding out fake and duplicate jobs!
    In my postcode area, a search within 30 miles would come up with 500+ jobs a day+ not long ago. Now it seems to be between 120 and 250.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 22nd Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    there is nothing wrong with letting them access the account, they are not going to hack it and take your bank details or anything. You can make their life a little more difficult, they may do the same to you though.

You dont have to search for job exclusively through that site, the part where you list the jobs you have looked for allows you to add notes regarding jobs you have looked for outside of the website.

If you keep everything on there then when you see your adviser you/they can see everything you did with no issue.
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 22nd Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    there is nothing wrong with letting them access the account, they are not going to hack it and take your bank details or anything. You can make their life a little more difficult, they may do the same to you though.

You dont have to search for job exclusively through that site, the part where you list the jobs you have looked for allows you to add notes regarding jobs you have looked for outside of the website.

If you keep everything on there then when you see your adviser you/they can see everything you did with no issue.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Why risk the threat of sanctions at the hands of a sadistic member of staff, (they do exist), without having to?
    What happens if your computer develops a fault and has to be taken in for repairs? You may well not be able to access Universal Jobmatch for a short period of time, whilst being repaired. Not your fault, but it could happen - and other unforeseen events. Eg: a close relative being rushed to hospital with a serious illness.

Why take the risk?

Besides, would you let an insurance company have access to what you have done on a day-to-day basis, or Tescos, or any other company?
    Why should it be any different with the DWP, just so that they can judge you without really knowing anything about you. Giving them access doens;t help you find work in any shape or form - it's just one-sided help for the DWP. It's Big Brother and it's not healthy for society to have authorities constantly looking over your shoulder.
    Last edited by mattcanary; 22-06-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 22nd Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 17,382 Posts
    • 43,813 Thanks
    elsien
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    UJM is a poorly designed site and there are better ones out there for job hunting. Which is why I declined to give them access - I wasn't risking a sanction for a site that wasn't fit for purpose.
    OP, of course you need to job hunt every day but you don't have to use UJM to do it if there are other alternatives that suit you better. And you need to fully evidence what you are doing.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 22nd Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    UJM is a poorly designed site and there are better ones out there for job hunting. Which is why I declined to give them access - I wasn't risking a sanction for a site that wasn't fit for purpose.
    OP, of course you need to job hunt every day but you don't have to use UJM to do it if there are other alternatives that suit you better. And you need to fully evidence what you are doing.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Well, you could jobsearch for ten hours three days a week, 7 hours on one other day and no hours on the other three days if you want to?
    You;re still jobsearching full-time by doing this, which is actually what the government says you must do if out of work and claiming benefits.

That is perfectly fine, yet giving DWP access to Universal Jobmatch lays yourself open to being sanctioned, for this type of thing.

Can;t see how anyone can occupy themselves full-time with jobsearching tasks for weeks on end anyway!
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 22nd Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:11 AM

As they can, if you hand them a piece of paper outlining all the jobsearch steps you have taken.

The DWP probably won;t hack your account or obtain personal details about you for dodgy purposes, but that doesn't stop other organisations from doing this if you allow everyone to view your account.
    Last edited by mattcanary; 22-06-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 22nd Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    Explains why Indeed is becoming pants now, where jobs will quickly expire after 2 days despite have a July closing date, then you find it's part time counterpart posted at same time still remaining, lots of jobs manage to be advertised without salary, and if I were a depressed job seeker I'm not so sure I'd want to see a red line nearest a job applied for which said "Employer not interested" after receiving the auto rejection notice from the employer already, it must be easy to post a job without much care and attention more then ever these days. No idea which board you'd trust and not sure any of them are masters in recording a pipeline. Alas I do know of someone who recruited via UJM, it was quite a good job and they said we put it out there on both indeed and Universal job match first, so was pretty clear unemployed people would take president.

Of course could be sites are preparing for schools out, it's about the time isn't it so no fear OP of getting a job...
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 22nd Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 22nd Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    Another question on this as I am a recent claimer. Can you only give them access when you are having your weekly review. Then untick the box when the meeting has finished so they can only look at your account when you are meeting with the JSA adviser.

Don't fancy any JCP person being able to look at my account 24/7
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 22nd Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    i assure you, an adviser has no interest in you or your account unless you are sitting in front of him/her and they are being paid to work with you.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 22nd Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    i assure you, an adviser has no interest in you or your account unless you are sitting in front of him/her and they are being paid to work with you.
    Uncertain of this as when i went to claim Last week. I noticed a couple of staff having time on their hands fiddling on their phones. Not very professional. Plus i asked at the time, will it just be my job coach who will have access to my Account and she confirmed any job centre staff would be able to view it. My Minds made up when i go next. They wont be having access to my Account so box will be unticked.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 22nd Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    I fiddle on my phone too at times. like most people.

Yeah its correct, your normal adviser may be away, so anybody could be covering and they would need access. like i said, in the eyes of everyone else, you and your job search is not as important or interesting as you think. outside of seeing you, they would rather fiddle on their phone over looking at your job search for the heck of it.

Totally up to you what you do, just bear in mind, they can make your life difficult too.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 22nd Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    I fiddle on my phone too at times. like most people.

Yeah its correct, your normal adviser may be away, so anybody could be covering and they would need access. like i said, in the eyes of everyone else, you and your job search is not as important or interesting as you think. outside of seeing you, they would rather fiddle on their phone over looking at your job search for the heck of it.

Totally up to you what you do, just bear in mind, they can make your life difficult too.
    She implied all job centre staff can view your account not just the person who might be standing in. Think Mattcanary throws up some valid arguments. what if your computer is out of action, off to repair etc. They wont believe you even if it is and would probably sanction you as you wont be able to log on to your account every day. Also by giving them access, they will see what jobs they will force you to apply for and as we all know, the website is not fit for purpose
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 22nd Jun 17, 11:39 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Is any of that based on fact or just anecdotal? What if you run our of paper and all your pens run out and you're broke!!!!!!! No job search!!!!

Thats what the scenarios you portrayed sounds like to me personally.

Like I said, all advisers will be able to look at a persons job search, the cleaners and security will not. So no issue there.

Do peoples computers break nowadays? Maybe im lucky. Anyway, lets assume modern mobiles dont exist.

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people dont have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initally but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

Also if they REALLY want you to apply for something they will make you anyway, whether they make you do it while there or over the phone in their presence.

By all means, do it your way, get their backs up potentially, but let us know how it goes.
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 23rd Jun 17, 3:30 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    Is any of that based on fact or just anecdotal? What if you run our of paper and all your pens run out and you're broke!!!!!!! No job search!!!!

Like I said, all advisers will be able to look at a persons job search, the cleaners and security will not. So no issue there.

Do peoples computers break nowadays? Maybe im lucky. Anyway, lets assume modern mobiles dont exist.

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people don't have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initially but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

Also if they REALLY want you to apply for something they will make you anyway, whether they make you do it while there or over the phone in their presence.

By all means, do it your way, get their backs up potentially, but let us know how it goes.
    Have you actually tries using a computer at the Jobcentre?
    Because I have - you can;t access most websites. How can you effectively apply for jobs in that scenario??!!

A laptop I used to rent from Hughes did break a few years ago and it had to be taken in by Hughes. They had it for about a week. Fortunately I live ten minutes walk from the city centre so I could go to the library. Many people aren't that lucky and cannot afford to regularly spend money on bus fares or petrol to get to their nearest library regularly.

I don;t actually have a mobile phone at the moment - let alone smartphone either. On which, you cannot effectively apply for jobs anyway. It's not easy to fill out application forms using a tiny mobile phone keypad.

Your CV on UJM can be viewed by those outside of the DWP, if you allow access. Even if it was just the DWP, why would I take the risk of being sanctioned? They are not likely to accept that your computer is broken as a valid reason for not temporarily using Universal Jobmatch. Why should I subject myself to Big Brother anyway?

I really can;t understand why anyone would given the DWP access to your details on the website, to be honest.

PS: I am actually in full-time work at the moment but I have had periods out of work.
    Last edited by mattcanary; 23-06-2017 at 3:36 AM.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 23rd Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Stylehutz

If your PC did break, you would go into the centre and do your job search there, they provide computers because some people dont have a PC 100% of the time, yet manage fine.

How do you know they wont believe you, as long as your PC is not broken forever then there is no issue, they will believe you initally but after a month you had better start getting proactive (i mentioned a solution above).

So not allowing them access gets their back up. If they dont care either way why does it not state the option of providing job search evidence on paper as an alternative which it doesnt do. It tries to Trick people into allowing the advisers access on your account. As mattccanary states its not easy to update daily activity search on a mobile phone like I am doing. Maybe they expect me to buy a laptop or ipad just to suit them.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 23rd Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Cool dude, good luck with it all anyway. Laters.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 24th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    Cool dude, good luck with it all anyway. Laters.
    They were fine about it. Stated just the practical reason that it is not easy using a small mobile phone to update your daily activity job search. Rather do it on paper plus noone can access your account, send you spam emails or make me apply for fake jobs on a website not fit for purpose.
    • Profligate
    • By Profligate 24th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Profligate
    OP, the number of hours you have to work-search for in a week should be written on your Jobseeker's Agreement or Claimant Commitment (whichever you have).

Make sure that you meet those hours, and do any specific things you've agreed to do (eg write a CV) . Most importantly, make sure you keep a record of everything you've done and the time you started and finished, as 'evidence' .

Your work search requirements need to be reasonable & achievable for you - taking into account childcare needs, or health conditions etc.
    Good luck
    • andygb
    • By andygb 24th Jun 17, 12:12 PM
    • 12,552 Posts
    • 27,625 Thanks
    andygb
    When my OH and I were signing on last year, we were both told that we had to have a UJM account, and had to log on to it every day, and make an entry to prove that.
    I used to frequently tell them how rubbish it was and how many scam/non existent vacancies/dead links there were on there.
    We eventually found jobs through Reed and Totaljobs.
    The DWP are totally useless and played no part whatsoever in getting me work. They seem to exist purely as a means to sanction or intimidate people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,478Users online

Martin's Twitter