Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 7th Apr 15, 10:23 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16
    • 7th Apr 15, 10:23 AM
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16 7th Apr 15 at 10:23 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 3
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 26th Jul 15, 12:41 PM
    • 9,369 Posts
    • 7,425 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    Best cash ISAs are listed in the first post of http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=401374
    • Too much cheese
    • By Too much cheese 22nd Oct 15, 9:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Too much cheese
    Hi
    I already opened a Coventry fixed ISA last year. Do you know if I can open another or add to the existing one? I have some other ISAs I now want to consolidate with a better interest rate, since they are generally miserable.
    I have health issues so want a low energy option
    Thanks!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 23rd Oct 15, 1:02 AM
    • 26,121 Posts
    • 15,481 Thanks
    xylophone
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1583864/Best-savings-rates-Isas-Cash-Isa-accounts-fixed-rate-Isas.html
    • wildeep
    • By wildeep 27th Jan 16, 7:29 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wildeep
    On the 17th January I signed up for a Coventry ISA which was at the time listed on MSE as the best rate. I'm fairly sure they said it was 2.4%, it was definitely somewhere in the 2.4s and had a 120 day penalty, and fixed until 2020. The next day the ISA was pulled and I rang Coventry and they said I could still open the account because I'd applied while it was still active. Then they sent me a letter saying the rate is 2.15! They say the last time they were offering 2.4 was in December! This cannot be true but I can't find any evidence of the offered 2.4 rate because the MSE website has been updated now that ISA has been pulled, and Coventry no longer lists that page, all the links I used on the 17th January are dead links!! Help anyone? Anyone in a similar situation?
    • Gizmo70
    • By Gizmo70 27th Jan 16, 8:58 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Gizmo70
    Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
    On the 17th January I signed up for a Coventry ISA which was at the time listed on MSE as the best rate. I'm fairly sure they said it was 2.4%, it was definitely somewhere in the 2.4s and had a 120 day penalty, and fixed until 2020. The next day the ISA was pulled and I rang Coventry and they said I could still open the account because I'd applied while it was still active. Then they sent me a letter saying the rate is 2.15! They say the last time they were offering 2.4 was in December! This cannot be true but I can't find any evidence of the offered 2.4 rate because the MSE website has been updated now that ISA has been pulled, and Coventry no longer lists that page, all the links I used on the 17th January are dead links!! Help anyone? Anyone in a similar situation?
    Originally posted by wildeep
    If you search for Internet Archive: Wayback Machine, you can copy the web address for Coventry's savings accounts into it. There are snapshots from both 11th and 12th January 2016 that show the rate as being 2.15%. The snapshot before that is from 13th October 2015 and that does show 2.40%
    You can do the same for the MSE website and that shows the drop was reflected sometime between 28th November and 5th December
    Last edited by Gizmo70; 27-01-2016 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Added comment about MSE website
    • wildeep
    • By wildeep 27th Jan 16, 9:28 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wildeep
    thank you, that is very helpful, I think I must have made a mistake! strange as I was so sure! anyway, the rate is nearly as good as 2.4 now anyway with virgin money!
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 12th Feb 16, 2:07 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    MrGumby
    Check the customer service before applying!
    If you're thinking of investing with one of the many foreign banks offering attractive rates, I'd suggest checking the customer service by calling them and asking a question or two first (if you can get through). As a result of doing so myself, I've abandoned plans to invest with Bank of India or Punjab Bank.
    • donmaico
    • By donmaico 23rd Feb 16, 9:25 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    donmaico
    If you're thinking of investing with one of the many foreign banks offering attractive rates, I'd suggest checking the customer service by calling them and asking a question or two first (if you can get through). As a result of doing so myself, I've abandoned plans to invest with Bank of India or Punjab Bank.
    Originally posted by MrGumby
    Re State Bank of India I completely agree .They have the worst customer service i have so far encountered.They refused my fiords application then I reapplied and waited overt two weeks to be accepted. .When I rang for further advice I was given one or two word answers and then the phone went dead.
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
    • sarahscott32
    • By sarahscott32 23rd Feb 16, 11:40 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sarahscott32
    coming up to that time of year for ISA's but i just dont think i will bother saving this year, just doesnt seem worth it!
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 23rd Feb 16, 2:00 PM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 11,402 Thanks
    jimjames
    coming up to that time of year for ISA's but i just dont think i will bother saving this year, just doesnt seem worth it!
    Originally posted by sarahscott32
    I disagree. 5% and 6% rates when inflation is under 0.5% are fantastic rates and make saving a very worthwhile activity, just not inside a cash ISA. And for long term money with stock markets at lower levels it makes a great time to buy inside a S&S ISA as well.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • mrviner
    • By mrviner 29th Feb 16, 10:15 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mrviner
    I disagree. 5% and 6% rates...
    Originally posted by jimjames
    where are you getting those kind of rates?
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 29th Feb 16, 11:43 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Rich2808
    Originally posted by MrGumby

I have found al Rayan bank to be very efficient - all done online and transfer sorted efficiently. 2.02 per cent on four months notice isn't bad for me as a high rate taxpayer given I will exceed the £500 savings tax free limit.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 1st Mar 16, 12:34 PM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 11,402 Thanks
    jimjames
    where are you getting those kind of rates?
    Originally posted by mrviner
    TSB, Nationwide (also available at First Direct, M&S too I believe)
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Mar 16, 11:09 AM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 9,642 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    State Bank Of India UK
    Fixed rates down.

http://www.sbiuk.com/personal-banking/personal/cash-isa/cash-isa-fixed-deposit-account

Applications for Cash ISA fixed deposit ( Current year subscription / Transfer ) made till 10th March 2016 will get the rates applicable at the time of the application
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 12-03-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    • ejv
    • By ejv 23rd May 16, 3:40 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ejv
    Transfer in
    I have a fixed ISA from the past, maturing in July 2016.
    If I start a new ISA this FY,till what time am I allowed to transfer in old ISA?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 23rd May 16, 5:22 PM
    • 7,860 Posts
    • 8,693 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I have a fixed ISA from the past, maturing in July 2016.
    If I start a new ISA this FY,till what time am I allowed to transfer in old ISA?
    Originally posted by ejv
    It depends entirely on the Ts & Cs of your new product - if you go for another fixed rate one then chances are it'll have a limited window within which to fund it, but variable products won't typically have any such constraints. Obviously you need to ensure that whichever new product you go with accepts transfers in, many don't....
    • Jonnyohare83
    • By Jonnyohare83 14th Dec 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyohare83
    Hi guys I've recently only started saving into a new app called Moneybox. It's basically saves money into a stocks and shares isa and invests it also. Anybody know anything about the app??
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Dec 16, 10:35 AM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 11,402 Thanks
    jimjames
    Hi guys I've recently only started saving into a new app called Moneybox. It's basically saves money into a stocks and shares isa and invests it also. Anybody know anything about the app??
    Originally posted by Jonnyohare83
    If you're using it then surely you know about it? Why did you use that rather than the best recognised providers? But this thread is about cash ISAs so you'd be better off starting your own thread
    • rpb
    • By rpb 2nd Apr 17, 9:15 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    rpb
    Coventry website down?
    I shouldn't have left it so late I suppose, but after working my way through the whole Coventry BS application process (three times now!) I'm just getting a web server error on the last step

Last edited by rpb; 02-04-2017 at 9:21 PM. Reason: Get the image to work!
    • mickael28
    • By mickael28 2nd Apr 17, 11:34 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    mickael28
    I shouldn't have left it so late I suppose, but after working my way through the whole Coventry BS application process (three times now!) I'm just getting a web server error on the last step
    Originally posted by rpb
    It worked for me today at lunch time, however, I thought they were going to open the account and I could make an online transfer before the end of the financial year, and I just got a message:

"Receiving your form
    We'll post a copy of your application form and ISA transfer form to you straightaway. Please check them carefully then sign and post them back to us with identification (if required) in the prepaid envelope.

We'll confirm on your application form if identification is needed."

So, it seems to me, that we were not really applying when completing the online form, they were just getting details to send us a paper application, in which case, we won't be able to make it before the end of the deadline!!

So I think we might need to go with another provider anyway...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,133Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin