Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 23rd Jan 07, 7:49 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Car insurance successes stories
    • 23rd Jan 07, 7:49 PM
    Car insurance successes stories 23rd Jan 07 at 7:49 PM
    What's this about?

The Cheap Car Insurance System is all about getting the best deal. But for fun, here's a contest to see who across the UK has the ultimate deal. As I write this, the cheapest is 48.

So I thought it'd be interesting to see who else sheared down their car insurance that way. Did you manage it for under 100?

Martin

Update 4 October 2009

After many incremental increases the current record is 96p for fully comp insurance.... as follows.

It's for Barbara Wakerell from Kent.

Policy Price: For Barbara the cheapest was 120.96 from Swinton Insurance for a fully comprenhensive policy, with protected no claims bonus, and including a courtesy car.

Insurer cashback: The company had its own 70 cashback promo on.

Cashback site: She then got a further 50 via using a cashback site.

Full info in the Updated Guide: Cheap Car Insurance

If you get cheap car insurance please report it
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 07-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 3
  • agaqueen
    sub 100 car insurance
    Using Confused.com I got my car insurance down to 98 with 50 cash back. When the promised postal order didn't arrive within the 28 days, I phoned them up and they sent me a cheque, bringing the insurance down to 48. But two months later, the postal order arrived!
    • mintymoneysaver
    • By mintymoneysaver 27th Jan 07, 3:14 PM
    • 3,471 Posts
    • 17,761 Thanks
    mintymoneysaver
    You must all have good post codes too. I have 13 years no claims, driveway overnight, approx 9000 miles a year, female main driver and can't get it below 350....
  • charchar
    £94 fully comp after £100 cashback with the prudential through quidco!!!

And i'm only 24, what a bargain!!!!
    Last edited by charchar; 30-01-2007 at 6:08 PM.
  • bridjohns
    cheaper car insurance
    I have recently been quoted 313.30 from swinton, but going on to the moneysupermarket have now got this price down to 141.02 through Saga,,

...A WHOPPING 172.28 SAVING!!! This site is for the over 50,s only...

Hope this helps at least one person...
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 30th Jan 07, 11:42 AM
    • 6,421 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    Ken68
    Good for you Brid...I'm with Swinton,...they got my car insurance down on the last renewal,by about £80, even less now thru moneysupermarket.
    Inflation, what's that !!!
  • charchar
    What cars do you lot drive to get insurance that cheap?
    by ohit

2006 fiat punto sport, 94 fully comp after 100 cashback!! Bargain at 24 yrs old!
    Egypt 10th May - Here we come!!!
    • qprfact
    • By qprfact 31st Jan 07, 9:13 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    qprfact
    I've been with Direct Line for a few years, and have previously shopped around. However, I didn't so last year or the year before as I got an SP30 and 3 points (for doing 47 in a 40mph zone - doh!). This year, I thought I would look around, and Swiftcover was the cheapest with the £50 cashback - about £150 compared to DL's £340. However, I decided not to go with Swiftcover after Googling and seeing that others have had bad experiences with them.

Instead, went with Budget at £214 - slightly higher excess (£100 compared to zero), but includes courtesy car (some charge extra) and cover for travelling in Europe (i.e. no Green Card cost).

DL said they wouldn't be able to match it. Just wish I'd done it sooner!
    • hostertlady
    • By hostertlady 31st Jan 07, 9:54 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    hostertlady
    car insurance cash back
    Blimey after reading these posts i am soolooking forward to renewing mine and also sons car insurance, i am with churchill ( 48 with 9 years no claims) came in at 297 last year which i thought wasnt bad but hey ho look out churchill in july..
    Son ( 19, 1 year no claims, renault clio 1.2) came in at just over 1000 last year so am really looking forward to getting a renewal quote for that one! he will be so pleased with me! lol
    • nej
    • By nej 31st Jan 07, 11:28 AM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    Can't get mine below £450.

Car (people carrier) worth £18k or so (10 months old), me and wife driving (I've got 3 points from 2 years ago), 6 years protected no claims, 10k miles per year. Parked off-road and has a tracking device in it.

Tried confused.com but my renewal with Esure beat basically all of them.

Any suggestions?
  • tiggat28
    Have been with churchill's for years and years, my premium has gone up an extra 10 this year to 134 so checked for cheaper car insurance and took one out with Swift Cover. Initially had to pay 146 but will get 50 cash back after 3 months so this will bring my car insurance down to just under a 100. Really glad I made an effort to peruse the website instead of being faithfull to Churchill.
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 31st Jan 07, 4:24 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    Can't match the 27 or whatever it was but I managed 43.80 (after 120 Quidco cashback) with Lloyds TSB for self & spouse comprehensive cover on a 2002 1.3 Yaris. Well pleased with that.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Paulxo
    28 - come on!
    I actually started a thread in Insurance for this.

I got a quote of 108 from the post office, but they have 50 cashback.

Did it thru quidco & got another 30. so fully comp for 1 year, 28.

Someone put that they beat me by a fiver, so 23 is the record.
    Claiming against Nationwide 2500
    Others to come!
    • Mowog
    • By Mowog 31st Jan 07, 5:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mowog
    Classic Insurance
    Been reading some of the other posts here with great interest. I think a few other people have mentioned classic car insurance, so I thought I might add my two-pence worth. I'm 28 now, and I've had classic car insurance since I was 21, when it cost about 180 to get fully-comp insurance on an MGB.

What I think a lot of people don't realise is the number of 'modern' cars that can be insured this way. A year ago I insured a 1985 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 for 94. Not bad when you consider that was fully comp (I'm not sure you can even get third party with a 'classic' policy), and I had one claim and 3 points. That was with 'Peter Best Insurance'.

An even bigger bargain was a year's fully comp on a 1987 TVR 390SE, when I was 26 - 350 with Classic Line. Obviously that's a fair bit of money, but outrageously cheap for such a quick car - I certainly never thought I'd be tooling around in a 160mph car before my 30th birthday!

Classic insurance is certainly a great way of cutting down on insurance costs when you're young. I imagine the difference between that and normal insurance must diminish as you get older, but if you're looking to insure something over 20 years old, it's definitely worth a look.
  • jillt
    cheaper car insurance
    i have just saved 90 pound on my car insurance through barclays and saved 200 pounds if i was to go with the post office. well worth the hassle.
    thanks
    • qprfact
    • By qprfact 1st Feb 07, 11:15 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    qprfact
    Nej, your circumstances are not dissimilar to mine (people carrier, 3 points, two drivers) so I reckon you could do better. As I say, mine was Budget, but there were plenty of others lower than DL's rate!
  • dclparker
    Got mine recently through Quidco and Lloyds TSB. Fully Comp (with Protected no claims) Down from my renewal price of 201 to 168 with Lloyds less 120 Quidco cashback = a cheap 48!.
  • jeanssis
    Help please, am new to all this !
    Hubby has had the car insured with More Than for a few years BECAUSE they say he'll always keep his no claims (which is maximum ) no matter how many accident(s) he MAY have AS LONG AS HE STAYS WITH THEM !

SO.. how does he go about getting it cheaper BUT staying with them as he cannot get his head around all of this :confused: & we have never used Quidco & PayPal so it's all new & confusing.

Also, I went into Quidco site & registered BUT I cannot find where to look for the car insurance companies.

Janice
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 6th Feb 07, 3:25 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    I've worked mine out as 53 ish for the whole year. That's for me full no claims, hubby named driver 3 years nc, P reg 1.4 vauxhall astra, parked on the road with no extra security. Cover is fully comp, protected, courtesy car and legal cover. I think direct line will have a hard time matching this quote!
    • Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 6th Feb 07, 5:18 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    oh, I Won I won!
    Righty ho, I just went on to quidco to check my quote and for the year TPFT with screen trade the insurance is 127.
    I get 120 cashback with this too!
    As It is my second car I'll be having that quote I think!
    If anyone would like to try and beat me- bring it on!!!
    • Nadia
    • By Nadia 6th Feb 07, 12:00 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Nadia
    Hi. I have a question for those who have taken out policies with Barclays. It now says that if their quote is higher than your renewal quote, they will reduce their quote by up to 100 plus give you 50 cashback when you switch. I am with Norwich union and their renewal quote is about 20 less than Barclays.

My question is: If the Barclays quote I have, was generated online, how do I let them know that it is higher than my renewal quote?? Do I phone or send a letter with the renewal quote attached? And how do they send your cashback?? Is it by cheque or as a reduction in the price of the policy??? Sorry for the silly questions but I'm new to this swithching insurance business. We have been with Norwich Union for the past 3 years so no idea how this is done?? Thanks.
    I this site!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin