Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save 1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 257
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi I'm a little confused about this. I have checked the step one and all the houses in my block are band B. So i am not sure if this fails step 1. However when I have checked the valuation tool it indicates that the houses were in fact worth less than 32000 in 1991. This then passes step 2? Anybody able to clarify please
    Originally posted by ELLEN RALPH
    House price indices are inaccurate so possibility your band is correct.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 14th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    I sent off a letter to VOA 3 weeks ago asking for a reassessment of my CT band and provided evidence as to why I thought it was wrong. I included a phone number and email address but have not had an acknowledgement of my letter. I wondered if that was normal and if I'll hear from them in due course once they've had a chance to look into my request. Does anyone know if they usually acknowledge receipt or just contact you when they've investigated? And do they usually write, phone or email? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Lonestar11
    They are supposed to acknowledge within 7 days, normally a stock letter stating they will look into the matter & reply within 2 months. 3 residents on our estate wrote in with evidence. 1 resident had an acknowledgment, the other 2 had nothing! 4 months on a decision was never received after the acknowledgment.
    They normally write to residents if the band is reduced but it's not always the case. Good Luck
    • Lonestar11
    • By Lonestar11 15th May 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lonestar11
    Thank you for your response. I'll give them a couple of weeks then drop them an email just to check they got the letter.
    • TeeH
    • By TeeH 16th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TeeH
    No similar properties
    I contacted the VOA and my claim was rejected as the other properties I cited were not 'identical'. We live in a village and our semi was built in the 70's, so I could only compare it with other 3 bed+garage semis which are in D while we are in E. How can I make a comparison when most of the houses are different?
    Last edited by TeeH; 16-05-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    • JennyG70
    • By JennyG70 18th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JennyG70
    help or advise needed
    I have been trying to get my band corrected for at least the last 3 years, and have approached Mole Valley on numerous occasions, but every move is a dead end, that at times seems like a deliberate block. Phone calls after a long wait can be a transfer to another department and then just go into a hang up, I did speak to one lady who requested me to go down my road and select bungalows similar to mine, I found 5 plus 2 houses, that were all in a lower band, but was then told I could not use them because the were Data protected!
    I had also taken it to the VOA department that looked into it, and got back a gobble Gook letter that Martin had mention about, that basically we had not appealed when we moved into our bungalow in 1982, when in fact they never existed. So I did not meet the circumstances to oppose it.
    Then after contacting them, I was told by email my appeal was not at the correct stage to appeal to the VOA, when I did get their email, I had 3 months to reply, but my husband was dying, and actually one month was spent up and down to the hospital, and then he died, so other things apart from the grief took over including the funeral arrangements ct, so I missed the return date. My bungalows value in 1991, that we bought in 1982, paying 67000, was valued at, 117,829 and then again later to 158.977 both by Nation Wide, but it does go up a lot each time you reassess it.
    What I can say, is that in my road, that almost all were bungalows when we move in, are now houses, and the price range is between 1.Million to 1.5 Million, and all are G band, including my bungalow!!!8230;
    I also tried to get advice from Fetcham residence association, but they were up able to help.
    So anybody with ideas what to do now?
    Thank you for any comments.
    Last edited by JennyG70; 18-05-2018 at 4:39 PM.
    • JennyG70
    • By JennyG70 18th May 18, 4:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JennyG70
    Reject because not Identical
    I was also told this, and its just ridiculous, as not one Bungalow down this road is the same. Not one...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 18th May 18, 5:13 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    My bungalows value in 1991, that we bought in 1982, paying 67000, was valued at, 117,829 and then again later to 158.977 both by Nation Wide, but it does go up a lot each time you reassess it.
    What I can say, is that in my road, that almost all were bungalows when we move in, are now houses, and the price range is between 1.Million to 1.5 Million, and all are G band, including my bungalows.
    Originally posted by JennyG70
    Nationwide House Price Index is inaccurate, usually undervaluing and cannot be relied upon. If it suggests your bungalow was valued at 158,977 in 1991, then just a 1% inaccuracy would put your bungalow over 160,000. Little point in looking at 2018 values and improvements carried out by current owners after 1 April 1993 cannot be reflected in CT bands.

Unless you can find a nearby bungalow of a similar age, size and style in a lower band, there's not a lot you can do. There is always the risk in doing this that the VOA will decide that bungalow is under assessed and increase its band!
    • ddks
    • By ddks 1st Jun 18, 9:31 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    If a property has been extended by 10m2. The property has been sold twice since the extension was completed.
    In what circumstances would the band be restricted? I have checked the NNDR list - no entries for the address for 2010 or 2015 list.
    No planning restrictions, as property extended.
    No agricultural tie, as on a housing estate.
    Property might have been extended for a disabled person - but would this restrict the reviewed banding??
    Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Jun 18, 1:42 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    If a property has been extended by 10m2. The property has been sold twice since the extension was completed.
    In what circumstances would the band be restricted?
    Originally posted by ddks
    What do you mean by restricted?

It is quite feasible that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase
    • ddks
    • By ddks 2nd Jun 18, 5:08 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    What do you mean by restricted?

It is quite feasible that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    The banding was restricted after its sale (for reasons which cannot be divulged by the VO).

Hence the question, in what circumstances would a band be restricted? It seems bizarre and an excuse!

The property was 148m2 & was extended in 2008 to 158m2, sold in 2010, band reviewed after the sale in 2010, remained in a Band E. The property has been sold twice since then.

Have been informed that factors such as how many empty & completed units, the state of a development are factors to be considered.

I'm pretty sure that the law & VO manual state the above factors are not relevant?!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Jun 18, 5:55 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I've never come the word "restricted" being used in connection with a CT band. My point that the extension would not have added enough value to warrant a band increase seems quite probable in this case. Or possibly very borderline so not considered to be worth the effort of increasing if a subsequent appeal would result in the band being reduced back to Band E.

However regard may be had to restrictive covenants and planning restrictions, so whether this is what the VOA were referring to.

Cannot remember what the approach should be regarding state of development etc, I can't remember it ever being used in the offices i worked in.
    • Robert Hornby
    • By Robert Hornby 10th Jun 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robert Hornby
    Robert Hornby
    My Cottage was valued at 85,000 in 1990. I complained to the valuation officer
    that I should be band D, not E as I have been since 1990. I was told by the
    valuation officer that as the cottage was not sold in 1990 it does not apply.
    I said to him that on the Martin Lewis programme he said it was the value
    in 1990 that it was based on. The valuation officer said , (wait for it) Martin Lewis is wrong !!
    I would like to hear Martin's reply to that
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Jun 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    CIS
    in 1990 that it was based on. The valuation officer said , (wait for it) Martin Lewis is wrong !!
    Originally posted by Robert Hornby
    Value is as at 01 April 1991 in England and Scotland.

The fact it wasn't sold at that time doesn't alter the banding, it just makes it far more difficult to argue the banding is wrong without any evidence.

(Martin Lewis isn't infallible, I've some heard him say some right rubbish in the past that was plainly wrong...)
    Last edited by CIS; 10-06-2018 at 4:45 PM. Reason: corrected
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • rabbitlover
    • By rabbitlover 10th Jun 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabbitlover
    From Which:

"Council tax bands are calculated based on the value of the property at a specific point in time. For instance, in England your council tax band is based on what the value of your property would have been on 1 April 1991."
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jun 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Originally posted by Robert Hornby
    Valued for what purpose and which month in 1990? For example, an insurance valuation and remortgage valuation would be two completely different amounts

Council Tax came into force on 1 April 1993, bands being based on a dwelling's open market value as at 1 April 1991, but taking into account the physical state of the dwelling as at 1 April 1993.

Why have you waited 25 years to complain about your CT band?

Martin Lewis sold this site some years ago, so it is extremely unlikely he will see your post.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jun 18, 4:17 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Value is as at 01 April 1991 in England and Wales.
    Originally posted by CIS
    England and Scotland, Wales is 1 April 2003
    • CIS
    • By CIS 10th Jun 18, 4:45 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    CIS
    England and Scotland, Wales is 1 April 2003
    Originally posted by lincroft1710

Oops - typo on my part that I hadn't noticed.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • JS44
    • By JS44 11th Jun 18, 10:07 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JS44
    Appeal advice - Council Tax rejection
    Hello! I was wondering if somebody could help.

We moved into our house 6months ago and upon moving in were surprised by the Council Tax band. We believe it's at least one band too high. I did all the checks on this website which confirmed my belief, so was backed by this information before making an application.

Sadly our request to be re-evaluated has been declined as they believe it is correct. I strongly believe we are in the wrong band and will appeal, but wanted to ask any advice on what I need to include to strengthen / support my case.

To give a bit of background- our current home - a 3bed end of terrace, in a small cul-de-sac is an E. We have rented 2 other properties in the village in recent years - a 3bed semi-detached, down a quiet / private road which was a D band (2015-16), and then a mid-terrace 3bed, on a quiet crescent which was a C (2016-17). Nearly all E+ properties in the village are 4beds and / or detached properties.

Our current home was built only last year, so how do we gauge / prove it's worth in 1991?
    Ironically, the first place we lived in in the village (the D band property) sold for 70k MORE (2016) than we bought our place last year (2017). We believe our last property (the C band one) has more similarities with our current home, but the Valuation Office dismissed this point saying that they were different sizes (having LIVED in both properties, the difference is very slight!), so along with the info from the checks on here - Iam trying to get a D band rather than a C.

Reason for the rejection - the Valuation Office found one example of a v small pool of similar properties in the village on the same E band and used this example (there are plenty the other way) then adding that because we have a small ensuite that would justify the band. The thing is new properties these days can include ensuite bathroom in the plans, but in 1991 these were less popular, so really it's not comparing the same, we are either looking at 1991 valuations or we are not! And really to pay 2 bands higher for an extra loo is a ridiculous (some nearly 100pm difference!)

So any advice what I need to do to put in a really strong, articulate appeal would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Some of my new neighbours are also appealing. Others aren't (the downsizers) as they are already making a saving in their eyes.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Jun 18, 1:53 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 9,454 Thanks
    lincroft1710

So any advice what I need to do to put in a really strong, articulate appeal would be greatly appreciated!!
    Originally posted by JS44
    Basically, just what you have written above
    • Robert Hornby
    • By Robert Hornby 13th Jun 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robert Hornby
    Robert Hornby
    My Cottage was purchased in May 1998 for 81,000I had it valued in 1990 for 85,000.
    I contacted the valuation officer as I am in band E, and on the valuation I asked for a
    review to lower it to band D. He told me that as it was not sold in 1990 it does not count.
    He said that "Martin Lewis got it wrong" can you believe it ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,480Posts Today

9,949Users online

Martin's Twitter