Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 8,305Posts
    • 41,520Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 7
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you Fortune, and welcome themadvix - no chickens yet sadly!
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 13,260 Thanks
    edwink
    Looks like the weather has nose dived everywhere in the UK today. How is it where you are Cheery? anything like where I am and you will have got soaked as I have.

Looks as though you are doing well with your mortgage overpayments, so well done that lady give yourself a pat on the back. More to pay off soon I expect eh? Or are you now saving it up to overpay later? Did I read that you were doing that now on here? Now I think of it I think you are!

How is the veg going? Got anymore in yet? be careful when sowing seeds before really wet weather as it can and does wash the tiny ickle seeds away.

Fingers and toes crossed for nicer weather soon eh?

Keep up the good work Cheery.

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 3 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th May 18, 11:22 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi edwink lovely to see you in here

Oddly enough we have had a lovely day! Not as sunny as last weekend... but I ate breakfast outside, and was scything all morning in a t shirt! our friends arrived at lunchtime and we had a picnic in the garden!

(Admittedly they kept their coats on and we had to put a tarp down before the blanket as the grass hadn't dried out, but still...)

Spent the whole afternoon outside too, including two whole hours at the kiddie play park

A NSD for me I always found them really hard but these days they're quite easy of course I spend more on the days I do spend... but there's much less frittering now...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th May 18, 11:34 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oops sorry, you asked about the mortgage... yes you're right, after that initial payment to the building society, it's now just being set aside in a separate account and I'll pay it all at once next Feb. My aim was 1000 for the year so nearly half way! not sure what I'll do when I reach that - might carry on or I might just throw any extra at the general savings pot which will be sorely depleted by this building work...

... if the building work ever happens that is builder visited in early April and we still haven't even had a quote despite repeated chasings if he wasn't a friend of many of our friends I would have ditched him long ago, and if it takes him longer than a week to even acknowledge my latest email then I'll at least be getting a quote from someone else...

Veg is a bit of a mixed bag at the minute... some seeds are doing well (beans, pumpkins, squash, coriander, basil, beetroot), some or just peeking through (one tomato variety, leeks, lettuce), kale have all succumbed to the myserious 'damping off', and the other tomato variety haven't appeared at all!

Going to have a few surprises - several mystery things are growing in a pot I retrieved from down the drive after the greenhouse flipped over - no idea what they are yet and bizarrely I labelled them with labels cut from an old milk carton and written on with permanent marker - the ones I wrote on with a proper Sharpie are still readable, but wlthe Wilkos permanent marker vanished completely overnight in the light!! Not even watered on or anything! So now there are several other mystery pots too

Not planted anything outside yet - we still had snow 3 weeks ago up here in the uplands and I haven't actually got anywhere to sow anything yet - my planting area is an actual field I've set up one whole no dig bed today though
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,055 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    As you know we combined small regular additional payments monthly with saving anything else that was spare to get paid in one lump at the start of the year - as the OP's increase/balance drops if you have a limit to what you can OP there is sometimes a "best" date to make OP's on but earlier on not so much as you're never likely to hit the limit anyway! If interest is calculated daily then theoretically it's better to pay off as soon as you have the money I guess but to be honest we never worried over much!

Virtual "kick up the behind" vibes to the builder from here...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/1035.63 (09/07/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums

EH, sadly, when I paid my first overpayment, they told me it makes not one jot of difference and isn't even credited to my account until just before the year is up - which is why I'm keeping it to myself from now on! Fiends.

Anyway, banks and YNAB shuffling done, and all looking ok. 5.50 in from the everyday rewards scheme with the bank so that's been added to the OP total in my signature

I've taken this morning off work as a friend is coming to visit - although last time he pulled out on the morning and I've not heard from him that he's set off yet... he's two hours away, and I've got to leave at 12.30, so he'd best get a move on else we won't even have time for a cuppa!

Hey ho. I've had a nice leisurely morning doing a couple of blog posts and online things as it's a bit chilly out there today so didn't feel compelled to be out in the fields at 7am... Off to put my coat on and get out there now though - want to scythe a path up to the veg beds and get a few more seeds planted Some of mine have grown which is great - but they're not exactly going to supply all our food
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 16th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 46,055 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Morning MSE chums

EH, sadly, when I paid my first overpayment, they told me it makes not one jot of difference and isn't even credited to my account until just before the year is up - which is why I'm keeping it to myself from now on! Fiends.
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    That's outrageous!! (And I'm not even sure it's even legal!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/1035.63 (09/07/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - friend finally turned up, five minutes after the LPG man - and five minutes after him the LPG man for the old company turned up too It was like a railway station in here for a few minutes!

Switching LPG suppliers - old one (who we haven't signed up for a contract with yet, they just supplied the old owner) wanted 37p per litre (plus VAT), plus standing charge, in the first year of the contract, and a 'variable' charge in the second year

Second one is 29.9p per litre (and VAT), same standing charge, and increase of no more than 3ppl per 6 month period in the second year - which even if it increases the maximum amount, is still less than the first lot wanted in the first year

Filled in the paperwork so that should sort itself soon.

I've gone for a monthly direct debit (doesn't make any difference but at least I know how much will go out each month I suppose) - I think it'll come to about 80 a month but I also don't think we'll use as much as they suspect... so it'll be reviewed this time next year and I'm hoping we'll be wildly in credit by then

Right, off to the big city now, my morning off is over and I'd best do a bit of work! (Well, I'm on a training course so it'll mostly be sitting and listening but it still counts as work...)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's outrageous!! (And I'm not even sure it's even legal!)
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    It does sound ridiculous doesn't it? I thought that myself so I've just been back and checked their T&Cs -

'To reduce the balance on which interest is charged with immediate effect, any lump sum capital payment must be for 1,000 or more.'

So it'll come off straight away, but only if the single payment is over 1000. I could change the monthly amount, but as I'm just using dribs and drabs at the minute, I don't want to. So I'm just keeping hold of it til I've got 1000 and I'll do it then!
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 23,977 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    It does sound ridiculous doesn't it? I thought that myself so I've just been back and checked their T&Cs -

'To reduce the balance on which interest is charged with immediate effect, any lump sum capital payment must be for 1,000 or more.'

So it'll come off straight away, but only if the single payment is over 1000. I could change the monthly amount, but as I'm just using dribs and drabs at the minute, I don't want to. So I'm just keeping hold of it til I've got 1000 and I'll do it then!
    Ours is similar Cherry only the minimum payment is 500.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 7% paid Overpayments: 2789.20 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 11,040 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Good saving on your gas delivery Cheery
    How frustrating about your op situation. I've had an off set mortgage since July and it's proved to be lovely and simple. I've only got my current account and my os savings account now. These and my mortgage are all online so even a 1p tt can be done instantly and you get and can see the benefit immediately. When I think of the faffing about I used to have sending cheques every month and waiting for an annual statement

Your blown about and therefore unidentified seedlings did make me laugh

Hope you and Mr C are enjoying country life in the sun
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

17,770.92/15,000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    We certainly are enjoying country life in the sun PP MUCH more jolly than country life in the snow although that had its moments...

Yep, when our fixed deal runs out I shall be looking for somewhere I can overpay in dribs and drabs, and also somewhere with an online mortgage account! And I shall NOT be going through the stupid broker this time!

Must find out when the fixed deal ends - it's either Sept or Nov 2019. Not the full two years as advertised, at any rate, because they started the two year clock once they had all the correct application details I think, or perhaps once they actually got round to issuing it - and then we didn't move house for another 3 months after that.

We're a bit limited as we want both of us on it, so wherever we go needs to take a self-employed Mr Cheery until he's 80 However, they also get a full time me, and being a young whippersnapper, at that point I will only be 62 so it's not that much of a risk for them...

Also hoping to have overpaid a little so the borrowing amount should be under 200k by that point (which still sounds ludicrously high )

However I am very fortunate to jump up the pay scale an increment every year (as some kind of reward for having survived another year, I suppose...) so I will be earning more too. So hopefully it will all work out. We'll see.

Anyway, I am inspired by PinkyPig's list of MSE-related things so I have popped in to make my own

* worked at home yesterday and today, so all food from cupboards and fridge
    * worked 8-4 yesterday, so popped out to one of the railway trails after I'd finished to do a 10 mile (flat!) bike ride - used my resident's parking permit so saved myself 1.50 on parking (if I'd have gone earlier I would have saved 3.50 as I was there for over an hour, but I didn't get there til after 5 and payments stop at 6 anyway)

er, that might be it Had a quick rub down with a flannel this morning instead of a shower - does that count? Keeping an eye on Prolific too - I'm up to 12.91 on there now so hoping for payout this month.

Been outside this morning in the sunshine and did half an hour of scything (free exercise ) of the grass behind the house - Mr Cheery is trying to investigate mouse access to the loft (we rescued Mouse Number 28 last night... ) Still haven't been able to bring ourselves to kill the little blighters It's only one every few days so it doesn't feel so bad

Right, clearly I won't be finishing at 4pm today as I've not even started yet! Best get on!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 29,866 Posts
    • 172,575 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Your ambitions for the mortgage sound very do-able, Cheery, I'm sure you'll get there.

The list of mse things is still great, isn't it whether its to-do or ta-da. I do like reading them, and ticking mine off, plus incorporating great ideas rubbing down with a flannel definitely counts, though I'm sure I wouldn't do that in the winter

How on earth do you get to the mice to pick them up? Oh, a humane trap? You're very dedicated I have a theory that the ventilation spaces under the eaves should be netted over with insect screening, though I suppose mice could chew through that in a moment. Mine have been rats and I'm not going to get involved with rats

Scything, yay I had a brief moment of scything one summer holiday at school, helping on a local nature reserve (oh, you may know it, Thurstaston). It felt very grown up
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I do indeed know Thurstaston Lovely place I'm pretty sure we did some kind of raft-building exercise there on a school trip once

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting involved with rats either but fortunately we haven't encountered one of them yet... Ours have all been teeny little cute mice, some of them field mice, which are even cuter

Yes, it's all humane traps. We're getting pretty good at it now, although it's been quite time consuming Mr Cheery saw one coming from behind the sofa at first late one night, and we stared with a couple of traps in random places, and occasionally caught one... Then we got wise to where they were coming from, and blocked up a few holes. Now they're pretty much always in the attic - we'll usually hear a little pitter-pattering as we're sitting in the living room, and one of us will head into the attic and put out 3 or 4 traps.

Because we're sitting in the room underneath, we'll usually hear the trap go off within the next half an hour or so, and we go and retrieve it and take it down the field (with a bit of bird seed to encourage it to stay down there )

So they're never usually in there that long. Sometimes if Mr Cheery is late to bed and we still haven't caught it, he'll leave the trap out and I usually get up quite early so will check it as soon as I'm up.

I'm sure our friends think we're mad but for now it's a relatively peaceful co-existence Does require quite a bit of messing about though

Sneaked off to the cafe with the treats budget (and some work) earlier We'd got to the end of our loyalty card so got a free drink, making it 3.70 for tea and cake for both of us And when we came out the mobile library was in the village I can't tell you how excited I was Went in and joined, and got out a couple of books - but of course I have to be diligent about remembering when they're due back because it's only in the village for about 25 minutes every three weeks
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,289 Posts
    • 14,653 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Cheery - any chance you are a cat person? - they do what cats do in regards to the mice...

...just saying...

...but i do agree that field mice are incredibly cute - as we too live in a rural location, we often have them in our garden where they try to get at the bird feeders- it's quite fun to watch the territorial robins chase the little things off over and over again.
    1 YEAR & 11 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 109,922 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Have you thought of numbering them with nail varnish or something to make sure it's not the same two or three? Maybe you've got a five star rating on Trap Advisor
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 19th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    fannyadams
    Have you thought of numbering them with nail varnish or something to make sure it's not the same two or three? Maybe you've got a five star rating on Trap Advisor
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    LOL @ Trap Advisor. I thought the same thing about the same mice coming back GG.
    When I lived in the sticks in deepest darkest Dooooorzet, we used to put a dab of tippex on their tail. on the tip for first time caught, half way along for 2nd, and near the bum for 3rd.
    I did read somewhere they need to be about 3 miles away to ensure they don't come back. Berkshire pest control site
    "We are often asked this question (about if they come back when you release them) and the simple answer is, yes. The issue of humane trapping always ends with the question of disposal.
    Animals will always return to somewhere they know they can find food and shelter, unless there is a better alternative. Therefore, when disposing of a mouse or rat, you need to take them at least a couple of miles away, or they will find their way back.
    ...Tagging experiments have shown the lengths rodents will go to return to a safe place with a reliable food source. There have been reports of mice and rats covering two miles to return to a property, and you should be sure to take any rodent you have trapped at least this distance away from your home to ensure your houseguest does not return."
    perhaps they need to go with you to work? I think you said something about being near a park or something?
    Although, having seen the pictures of your new abode, I'm guessing it's already well over two miles away where you're releasing them!
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 13,260 Thanks
    edwink
    All the talk on here about mice reminded me of this little chap!

Last edited by edwink; 19-05-2018 at 2:21 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 3 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8,305 Posts
    • 41,520 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, he's very cute Edwink!

So much excitement today that all mice have been forgotten - the neighbour brought us round some COWS! Just six pregnant ones, wandering around our fields to keep the grass down Most exciting

Of course, they're not OUR cows, and we have no responsibility for them, and the actual farmer just lives over the fields and can check on them himself, but I can't help peering out of the window every now and then to check they're ok
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 19th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 11,040 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Aw, he's very cute Edwink!

So much excitement today that all mice have been forgotten - the neighbour brought us round some COWS! Just six pregnant ones, wandering around our fields to keep the grass down Most exciting

Of course, they're not OUR cows, and we have no responsibility for them, and the actual farmer just lives over the fields and can check on them himself, but I can't help peering out of the window every now and then to check they're ok
    That is very exciting .
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

17,770.92/15,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

740Posts Today

7,685Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Got a passion for mental health?We're looking to expand the @mmhpi board with 3 new high level trustees - pref with? https://t.co/wSc0itUZO4

• Follow Martin