Ageas Elastic home insurance discussion

Hi,

This is a feedback thread on the Ageas Elastic home insurance policy.

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
  • Have you experienced problems?
  • Was it competitive?
  • Needed to make a claim yet?
  • How are you getting on with the 'dashboard'?
  • Why did you need a monthly policy?

The feedback comes as part of the Home Insurance Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Let's pay a branding company to come up with a name for our new product and a branding image.

We will pay them £30000 for the privilege and in return they will give our product a really bad name
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You referring to Ageas (I preferred Fortis!) or Elastic?
  • Hi Tony
    I think you've missed the main benefit of this new product. For me it's the fact that you buy it once and never have to renew it. The monthly price stays for the length of the term you want, be that a month or 10 years. No hassle or haggling at renewal.
  • They offer a 10 year LTA a home insurance policy?! I presume you pay the year 10 price for the whole 10 years...
  • Shame - they have limited it to the old standard 3 traditional wall construction materials, ruling out a whole host of modern building methods. Would have been easy to offer a wider range as is now found on most home insurance web sites in 21C.

Worse you go all the way through before they show the assumptions and when you click "no" to the assumptions being correct (because of wall construction) they say cant cover you. Wasting folks time unnecessarily is not very customer friendly.
  • My current house insurance expires on 4th Nov and I only need a further 1 month cover until our house is demolished at the start of Dec. The current insurer (Admiral) would only sell me a full years cover for over £500 and also charge £49.50 to cancel after the month.
    Tried Aegas elastic and have cover for the month for £18. Done!

Easy to complete form for a simple house insurance request, will def use again once new house complete.
  • I also couldn't complete my quote with Ageas. I ran into the list of assumptions after I'd gone through most of the quote process, including giving my address and contact details. If you answer "No" to any of the assumptions your quote gets stopped immediately. I'd have liked to have known about the list of assumptions before I started the process.
    So I copied the list and here it is. Hopefully someone else can benefit from my experience.
    Assumptions:
    Construction
    Your property is of standard construction - brick, stone or concrete walls with a slate or tile roof.
    Your property is in a good state of repair, weatherproof and well maintained.
    There are no on-going buildings or renovation works at your property.
    A flat roof covers less than 33% of your property - excluding outbuildings and garages.
    Your property isn't a listed building.
    The rebuild value for your whole property doesn't exceed £1,000,000.
    Usage
    Your property isn't currently or expected to be unoccupied for periods over 30 consecutive days
    This is your permanent home and isn’t let out or a second/holiday home
    Your property isn’t used for any non-clerical business use.
    Events
    Your property has had no flooding in the last 25 years;
    Your property is showing no signs of, or being monitored for, or has suffered from subsidence, landslip or heave in the last 25 years.
    The People
    There are no lodgers or paying guests at your property.
    Neither you, or anyone living with you, has:
    had any insurances declined, cancelled or voided, or had special terms or higher premiums imposed;
    had any criminal convictions that are unspent;
    suffered Bankruptcy (that is not discharged), current CCJs or IVAs.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks for posting those assumptions solw149 - I just read them and completely missed the only relevant one so did a quote anyway!

'This is your permanent home and isn't let out or a second/holiday home'

Well, it *will* be my permanent home when I've bought it - I followed Martin's guide and was trying to get buildings insurance for between exchange and completion... but now I'm not sure this will count...
  • planetali
    planetali Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:21PM
    There wasn't an option to choose buildings insurance for a freehold flat in a Victorian conversion, only maisonette or purpose built flat. I chose maisonette, thinking it would be the closest, to get an idea. Answered yes to all the assumptions (truthfully!), no other answers that could be "wrong", except possibly choosing "all other locks", computer said no. Not helpful.
  • We have moved to Elastic Ageas as our policy with RIAS had jumped to a huge premium, despite no claims, after around 6 years. Loyalty doesn't pay. The monthly premium seems good but we have had some trouble with accessing our documents on the dashboard. The Online Team have promised to sort this out. They communicate by online chat and email. I am a bit confused if Elastic is Ageas. It's on the Ageas website but it seems that Ageas underwrite the policy which is provided by Elastic. What is Elastic? We seem to have higher cover than we had with RIAS for a lot less. I would like to see some positive feedback to give me more confidence in this move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure