Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CricketLady
    • By CricketLady 16th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 15Thanks
    CricketLady
    New Nat West switch incentive
    • 16th May 18, 1:26 PM
    New Nat West switch incentive 16th May 18 at 1:26 PM
    Unfortunately not available to those who already received a payment from them between October 2017 and May 2018, just in case no one has noticed this.
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    18cc
    • 16th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:31 PM
    100 pages, 2000 posts thread alert...
    • noh
    • By noh 16th May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    noh
    • 16th May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:47 PM
    https://beta.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/switch-your-banking-to-natwest.html#howtoget100

100 incentive this time
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th May 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 8,704 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th May 18, 5:12 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:12 PM
    Shortcut direct to the Ts & Cs (for ease of access and for future reference when they're no longer linked from the above page after the offer is withdrawn): https://beta.natwest.com/content/dam/natwest/personal/current-accounts/documents/nw-switching-offer-terms-may18.pdf
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    18cc
    • 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    Thanks for the link to the terms and conditions unfortunately they don't define 'switching', 'by', 'date', 'account' and 'incentive'...
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 16th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    • 16th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:32 PM
    got this one, gone for the select no fee done 5mins, used a donor tesco account, offered me 2,250 overdraft i declined this though.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 16th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,932 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 16th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 16th May 18, 9:53 PM
    and all I can say is 'Good luck'. Hope they have updated their system since the last offering!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4342 cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    • 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    and all I can say is 'Good luck'. Hope they have updated their system since the last offering!!
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I don't know what all the fuss was about, i switched O/H on the last one, couldn't have been easier, paid in 1500 and gradually drained the account using it as my daily spend, got the payout on time, could not fault it, took 5mins last night all confirmed on line.
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 17th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 319 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 17th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:29 AM
    They've got a thing about Friday the 13th, it would seem!
    • JMLONDON
    • By JMLONDON 17th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JMLONDON
    Hi I'm new here!
    I just wondered if anyone knew or heard that switching accounts a lot harms your credit rating?
    Was asking because chasing the money i recently switched to Halifax which was fine then waited a month and tryed First Direct which i got declined for! Which was suprising really considering i thought i had a good credit record.So i googled it apparently it migh affect your raitng but dont know if its true.Iva heard of people on here changing accounts 4-5 times so not sure how it works!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 7,866 Posts
    • 8,704 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Hi I'm new here!
    I just wondered if anyone knew or heard that switching accounts a lot harms your credit rating?
    Was asking because chasing the money i recently switched to Halifax which was fine then waited a month and tryed First Direct which i got declined for! Which was suprising really considering i thought i had a good credit record.So i googled it apparently it migh affect your raitng but dont know if its true.Iva heard of people on here changing accounts 4-5 times so not sure how it works!
    Originally posted by JMLONDON
    When evaluating applications for new accounts, banks do refer to credit ratings agencies but that's only part of the story, as they'll have a range of other criteria that they use (some of which may be published, others kept internal), so if you don't happen to fit the profile of customers that First Direct are looking for then it's their prerogative to decline you and it doesn't necessarily signify any issue with your credit history as such.

The HSBC brands (which include First Direct and M&S) do have a bit of a reputation on here for being more choosy than others so you're far from alone.

Having said that, it's straightforward to check your credit history with the three ratings agencies if you want to see if there's anything untoward or unexpected on any of them, as per https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report, but don't obsess about the scores, which aren't seen by prospective lenders and other institutions....
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 17th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes agree with the above I have heard but not sure if it's true that if you apply for a new account then they will only take notice of credit checks if you are applying for credit EG an overdraft

so you may have better luck if you apply for an account but don't want an overdraft no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong

HSBC and First Direct are definitely very picky and can reject you even if you have got an excellent credit rating0
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 17th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    HSBC-FIRST DIRECT-M&S these accounts should come with an MSE warning, it may harm your'e credit report if you fail to divulge that you don't have blue hair, can stand on one leg whilst juggling 17 pink balls and singing the national anthem, i think that covers their criteria.
    • JMLONDON
    • By JMLONDON 17th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JMLONDON
    Thank you for the replies.
    It's interesting, although I feel better now in the sense of that First Direct, is a bit picky so it's not maybe a big problem for me although didnt know Marks and Sparks are part of the same group so may avoid them aswell.Might try this Natwest one though!

Cheers
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 17th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    HSBC-FIRST DIRECT-M&S these accounts should come with an MSE warning, it may harm your'e credit report if you fail to divulge that you don't have blue hair, can stand on one leg whilst juggling 17 pink balls and singing the national anthem, i think that covers their criteria.
    Originally posted by stehouk
    Sour grapes, perchance?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74130957#13
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 17-05-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 17th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,932 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I don't know what all the fuss was about, i switched O/H on the last one, couldn't have been easier, paid in 1500 and gradually drained the account using it as my daily spend, got the payout on time, could not fault it, took 5mins last night all confirmed on line.
    Originally posted by stehouk
    Well, think that you were in the minority- my experience was very different and I certainly earned that 125!! but of course, it was 'free' money. Anyway that account is moving on to pastures new before the end of the month.........
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4342 cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 17th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Well, think that you were in the minority- my experience was very different and I certainly earned that 125!! but of course, it was 'free' money. Anyway that account is moving on to pastures new before the end of the month.........
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I don't think any of us are in a position to state which experience - good or bad - was the minority.

My NatWest incentive paid out exactly as they said it should. The easiest 125 ever. A lot of people here said theirs didn't .

But experiences reported on this forum cannot be considered statistically valid - all we know is some went wrong, and some went right.

Generally (so they say, but this isn't stats either!) people tend to report problems more than successes.

Edited to add: I notice that,so far, I'm the only one thanking the OP - their thread is a good one, surely they deserve a few more thanks!
    Last edited by Zanderman; 17-05-2018 at 9:24 PM.
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 17th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    yep, been refused the m&s credit card as well so i'm thinking its more a hsbc problem, but without knowing their special criteria i think i will have to give this group a wide berth in future and not waste my time trying to make money from them.
    • hangonthebox
    • By hangonthebox 18th May 18, 2:22 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    hangonthebox
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.

I am not a 'serial switcher' like many on here, I have no desire to spend half my life messing round with direct debits to get a few quid a month from Co-Op or whoever, plus I'm happy with the 1.5% interest and excellent service I get from Yorkshire Bank, my main current account provider, but this seems like an easy offer with few hoops to jump through so I'm going for it,

Luckily, I'm pretty poor at closing bank accounts so as well as my Yorkshire Bank account and my Monzo/Starling accounts I have three (what would these days be called 'basic') accounts with Lloyds, Bank of Scotland and TSB. I'll probably use the BoS account to switch with.
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 18th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    Its not for everyone but there are some on here who have earned thousands through switching, stoozing, etc i cant speak for everyone on here but i suspect that like me they don't actually need the money, its the chase, its a game even a habit, don't be short sighted and looking it as one switch think of it as just the start......good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,047Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin