Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 137Posts
    • 70Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling?
    • 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling? 15th May 18 at 7:38 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My boss (who doesn't drive) often asks me for a lift to work. It only adds a few miles to my journey but the cost over a year is a fair bit. He obviously earns a lot more than me and has never offered to contribute to fuel costs. Should I risk asking him?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    The problem I see with the MSE MMDs is that there is no context or back story .....or anything really.

Can I suggest, as I just see them clogging up whatever board the MSE places them on, that a separate board is created just for MMDs and if people want to get into a debate about them then they can.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    If it is literally on your way I don!!!8217;t think it would be right to ask for money if it!!!8217;s what you!!!8217;d be doing whether they are there or not.

In that case if its nothing and that's what they think, then I would suggest we swap cars every other week and they pick me up. Simple.

Why should they be saving money on transport and you subsidise them?
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 16-05-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 16th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    The problem I see with the MSE MMDs is that there is no context or back story .....or anything really.

Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Exactly!! I wondered if these MMD’s were mostly from people to afraid to post or to afraid to have their posting history snooped through. There is just not enough information.

They lost me at the use of the word ‘Obviously’ to be fair, how is it obvious their boss earns more then they do - hell where I am now the Team Leader isn’t on much more I think there is just under 2k difference, same when I worked in a hotel when my conference mgr made it clear she did the job above for me 14k (pre 2012) because her husband ultimately kept her and she ‘got to do’ the job much for the love.

I’m sorry if this is genuine, I’m imagining two early twenty-somethings in a car, incapable of speaking to one another. Never in 20 years of work has a manager asked for a free of charge lift.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 16th May 18, 12:49 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    anniecave
    I used to be in this position and my manager offered to give me money towards petrol costs and we were both happy with the arrangement.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • gloriouslyhappy
    • By gloriouslyhappy 16th May 18, 1:11 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    gloriouslyhappy
    Anyone with any manners would offer something towards costs, even if just a small amount. Where it's a senior taking advantage of a junior employee, even more so.

I recently got a lift to the airport with a friend who said 'no need I'm going there anyway' to my offer of a contribution, so I calculated the petrol cost and tucked half into his jacket pocket (hanging over the seat).

This means I can accept another ride from him without sponging or feeling like a scrounger. I didn't offer to share parking as I was making my own way back, otherwise would have of course. Just good manners.

Mention it to your boss but first work out what you think would be fair, in case he asks what you want. I think half petrol costs is more than fair considering you've still got wear and tear which the boss wouldn't have on his car.

Good luck, it's tough to bring up things with the boss in today's economy with so many jobseekers but fair's fair and it's time the boss contributed.
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 16th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 2,329 Thanks
    Wyndham
    I recently got a lift to the airport with a friend who said 'no need I'm going there anyway' to my offer of a contribution, so I calculated the petrol cost and tucked half into his jacket pocket (hanging over the seat).

This means I can accept another ride from him without sponging or feeling like a scrounger. I didn't offer to share parking as I was making my own way back, otherwise would have of course. Just good manners.
    Originally posted by gloriouslyhappy
    Oh! Now, that brings up another issue. If you offered, and he said no, then I think you did the wrong thing tucking the money in his jacket. That implies that he didn't see you do that, and maybe wondered what the money was? It's also not respecting his wishes, maybe he wanted to do you a favour. If it became a regular occurrence then there needs to be another conversation, but for a one off I think it's right to offer, and if refused, that should be respected.

In terms of the original issue, having another person in the car does increase the overall weight, so will mean more petrol is used (and also more wear and tear, perhaps). But even if you are passing the door, there is an extra cost in taking them. Marginal, maybe, but it will add up over time.

P.S I'm not calling anyone fat here, by the way!
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th May 18, 2:58 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    For me, its not about you are passing or its only a little in fuel. You are saving as a passenger so why not let us both save a little.

Or like I have said..............you pick me up and drop me off for nothing!
    • tain
    • By tain 16th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    tain
    To answer the dilemma...

Do the calculations, work out the actual additional mileage, what your car's rough mpg is, and how much this is actually costing you. This should give you some perspective and can put a value on what you are providing your manager.

So for instance, £30 a year spread over 12 months isn't a huge amount, especially as it might help build a close relationship with those above you at work, could wind up equalling a payrise, etc. You may think this is a nominal cost.

If it turns out to be costing you £100 or more a year, the you may decide that something needs to be said. Or you may decide that any cost is more than it's worth as you hate having to spend the time in close quarters with your stingy boss. But doing the maths will at least give you perspective.
    • lewisia
    • By lewisia 16th May 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lewisia
    Can't believe he doesn't already!
    I can't understand anyone having a lift to/from work on a regular basis and not offering some petrol money, no matter if you go out of your way or not, some people are just cheeky!
    So yes is my answer or just say no when he asks for a lift!
    • XRAT
    • By XRAT 17th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    XRAT
    Yes!
    Since you are no longer just using your car for social, domestic, pleasure and commuting, you should change your insurance to "business use".
    Your boss should be volunteering the cost of milage, not the extra couple of miles, but from their pick up point to work and return. This is a business cost which should be tax deductable to the company.., not an expenditure for you.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 17th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 710 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    Have you not realised yet that nobody enjoys them then?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    You don't have to click on them then do you?

I find the most annoying thing reading through the weekly questions is people moaning about them and the real idiots who keep saying "they're not true"

If you don't like them, shut up and do one and leave them to the rest of us who know they are true, because we've asked a question and had it put on here and do enjoy reading them and leaving answers.
    • adamg
    • By adamg 17th May 18, 9:04 AM
    • 480 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    adamg
    Since you are no longer just using your car for social, domestic, pleasure and commuting, you should change your insurance to "business use".
    Your boss should be volunteering the cost of milage, not the extra couple of miles, but from their pick up point to work and return. This is a business cost which should be tax deductable to the company.., not an expenditure for you.
    Originally posted by XRAT
    since when is driving to work tax deductible??? Sounds like fraud
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 17th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    You don't have to click on them then do you?

I find the most annoying thing reading through the weekly questions is people moaning about them and the real idiots who keep saying "they're not true"

If you don't like them, shut up and do one and leave them to the rest of us who know they are true, because we've asked a question and had it put on here and do enjoy reading them and leaving answers.
    Originally posted by happyinflorida
    If you want to ask a question why on earth would you ask it in this way, where nobody could ask you for further information?
    • pheonix254
    • By pheonix254 17th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    pheonix254
    I've had numerous opportunities to see how this sort of thing works out - at university one of my housemates ran a car, and if we could we'd nip to the much cheaper out of town supermarket with him in it. Always offered to pay each time, usually he refused unless he was low on petrol. Arrangement we had between friends being designated driver for an evening on the town - if he stopped for petrol, we'd each buy the car a gallon.

Lived with a worker at the same plant as me. Both had cars, we decided one day it was a waste for us both to drive so we split the responsibilities. He drove a new 1.25 Fiesta, I had a cheap old 4.2L Jag. One day he said "I drove 3 times this week, you only did 2, chip in for fuel." I told him that my car cost 5x per mile than his in fuel and I'd never once even bought it up! Oh, and I left my wallet in the Jaaaaaaaaag. It was laughed off and not mentioned again.

My favourite by a country mile though - on work assignment in Canada. All workers given hire cars (paid our own fuel) - once again to reduce congestion we lift shared - that way we only had to drive once a week. Then a new guy turned up tried to charge us a quid a mile, it was 20 miles to work, and it was still a company provided car. He was very insistant, so we did pay in the end, but he was never allowed to car share with any of us from that point on, even on roadtrips to go skiing whereas the rest of us simply did a honesty rota. asking us for 20 quid cost him damn near 400 quid in saved fuel costs in the end, plus he had to drive himself everywhere.

If it were my boss, and I was going out of my way but had been doing this for a while (say a month or more) without asking for money, then I'd probably bring it up at my next appraisal as grounds for needing that promotion, otherwise I'd have to reassess exactly what I was getting from the deal - I'm not likely to be doing it out of the goodness of my heart unless the boss is a true friend.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 17th May 18, 8:46 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Just let your driving deteriorate to the point that your boss prefers not to travel with you.

Nothing dangerous of course, but that still leaves plenty of room to make him sick of travelling with you.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 17th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    crmism
    Free ride
    The simple answer is Yes, you should, and don't by any means feel embarrassed to tell him. It isn't a sackable offence to do so.

Anybody with a shred of conscience would have offered to make some contribution to your costs long ago, and not just for fuel; there's also the wear and tear on your vehicle. Your boss is also being ferried door to door, doubtless putting you to some inconvenience. I really believe he's using his position to take advantage of you.

He might well ask why you haven't raised the matter before and, if he does, explain the rising costs of fuel and running costs which, as a non-motorist, he's probably unaware of. You might also add that you wouldn't have brought the matter up at all if he paid you more!
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 19th May 18, 3:42 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Yes, ask for a petrol contribution. I'm stunned you haven't been offered, I used to contribute when the people giving me a lift has no need to divert at all.
    Also, in a separate conversation - if you haven't had one in the past year or more - ask for a raise, too. Seriously - you'll usually get it.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 19th May 18, 7:19 AM
    • 8,205 Posts
    • 28,632 Thanks
    Primrose
    I'd start thinking of some regular excuses to get out of it, ie Can't take you home tonight as I'm calling in and doing shopping for sick friend who lives in opposite direction, fixing dentist/doctor appts at beginning or end of working day, etc. or just come out with it and say it's messing up your personal time schedule so you need to stop.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 19th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    nicechap
    So the Forum team think that people's employment is entertainment??

That explains a lot....
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Welcome back again.

I see lots of posts welcoming you back have been deleted by the the groupthink brigade. Nothing offensive in any of them.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • Patricia01
    • By Patricia01 20th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Patricia01
    I would, especially since it adds up to quite a bit. If the boss refuses to pay for the pick-up, just stop doing it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,348Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin