Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,212Posts
    • 166,858Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 45
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 31,296 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Quick update:
    - SB is indeed pootling in the background.
    - done some boring domestic stuff (uh, cleaning shopping to put away )
    - booked the Atlantic Road trip
    - did an online Sainsbo shop, to use up a £3 off voucher. This was mse-type-interesting :
    • delivery tomorrow for only £1
    • automatic application of voucher, hooray
    • I buy 2litre bottles of water sometimes, as a safety thing: 17p at Asda, 25p at Sainsbo!
    • I also buy ground coffee, also as a safety thing it banishes the monster basics type is £1.49 at Asda, £2.30 at Sainsbo! Wow!
    The delivery tomorrow so cheaply is brilliant, I'll make sure I keep up to date with Sainsbo if they can do that. Tells me they might be in a bit of trouble, though.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Aren't they combining with Asda?
    V3ry - £389.60
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,858 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh you're right, they are, if the Competitions people let them... oh well, if I stock up before they start aligning their prices, I'll have time to find another supermarket that will home deliver.
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 26,797 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Oh you're right, they are, if the Competitions people let them... oh well, if I stock up before they start aligning their prices, I'll have time to find another supermarket that will home deliver.
    They are planning to keep both store brands and names. Unless there are both within too close proximity in any area and one of them has to close I suspect they'll keep Sainsburys for the more expensive goods and Asda as the cheaper version, pretty much as they are now. They seem to think they can co-exist happily together. Let's hope so.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: £757.05+. May: £1209.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9998
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 15th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 13,387 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    So long as the Asda pizza's don't change!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th May 18, 10:47 AM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,858 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Awww! Since I need to be gluten free, and have an intolerance of cow's dairy, that doesn't really affect me but I understand it being on your wish list, Jimmy

The delivery isn't until Wednesday, thank heavens, and I definitely have more energy today in any case

So, more "gardening", which is really navvying - massive great brambles with massive great roots discovered under the rhodedendron tree , I'll put a wash on, I'll definitely check what I've already assembled for holiday stuff, and I'll do some more scanning, I really want to get that sorted this week. SB is doing its thing, of course, and there's a YG in the intray to be done in the afternoon. Lots of texting too, my sister's off oop north to help with preparing the house for sale.
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 16th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 26,797 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    So long as the Asda pizza's don't change!!
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    Are Asda pizzas good, shangaijimmy?. I used to love pizza in the days when I could afford to 'eat in' at a pizza house. Have never bought any to cook at home. Might look into it now you've mentioned pizza

• shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 16th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 13,387 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    The ones they make up for you are amazing! Thin and crispy, bbq sauce base, double spicy chicken, ham and peppers, with chilli oil...mmm... want one for my tea tonight now! (sorry for highjacking)
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,858 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I love the hijacks, seriously they're just an area of natter I haven't got to myself, as yet When I shopped in person at an Asda, I used to get those pizzas too actually, Jimmy, but that was before my gluten intolerance developed and I just have deliveries these days anyway. Still slurping at the thought of them though

Sainsbo delivery has been and gone - lots of frozen veg, I'm using it instead of a helping of pasta, as I'm trying to get healthier. Didn't cough overnight, so thats a good thing Driver had to do an emergency stop for some oblivious driver in my road, and he cracked the eggs - refunded me, and left them with me, which is good.

I've been juggling cleaning the shopping, SB points and scanning. I'm having to weight down the current photo album with a huge glass Kilner jar full of dishwasher tablets as I seem to have ripped off the cover of the scanner in my eagerness

This afternoon, I'm hoping to be able to run a bonfire the gods of the weather, and of energy, will need to agree and I already know that the gods of weeding want me to do a bit more today.
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...of course, and there's a YG in the intray to be done in the afternoon...
    Ahhhh - the infamous YG - been on it since Oct 2014 and still not at payout! - the longest hardest slog ever for 50 pounds! - at 4950 - one more decent survey will do it & then i'll have to find something else to idle away at on the commute!!!
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,858 Thanks
    Karmacat
    oh my word, RT!!!! Right, next time I get a survey, I'm going to check when I joined, and how many payouts I've had - I think this will be my third good grief.

I don't feel quite ready to get out into the garden, so I've come back on here excuse my pootling
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hooray for pootling! Some days are just like that...

Three payouts?!? WOW, just WOW - I'm pretty sure I joined cause you (?) mentioned it years ago, but might have been one of our other loverly ladies...
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Just claimed my You Gov payout
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 16th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 9,945 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Great going on the surveys. I'm rubbish, I often start and do a few but never stick at it . Must try harder!

How long until your holibobs Karma? Xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£7,288.13/£15,000
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th May 18, 6:15 AM
    • 2,180 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hooray Beanie! That is just great news!

(Can you share how long it took? Enquiring minds want to know - lol)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 8,143 Posts
    • 40,190 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh, a YouGov payout?! Always impressive! I'm at 1600 points so only another 68 surveys to go (I think )
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £419.34
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hooray Beanie! That is just great news!

(Can you share how long it took? Enquiring minds want to know - lol)
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    I think two years.
    I have emailed to check but no response as yet.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 26,797 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just claimed my You Gov payout
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I'm green with envy to hear that but very happy for you as well. I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    I'm green with envy to hear that but very happy for you as well. I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    4 weeks they say.
    Happy new shoes to me then

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 29,212 Posts
    • 166,858 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Beanie, congratulations

The way YG is, thats a really big deal

I had to update my a/c with the new regs coming in (and actually, they paid me 50 points for that) and there's no record of when I joined, I couldn't even find a record of how many payouts I'd had.

PP - it's three and a half weeks

I *did* get out to do the little bonfire, all told it was an hour - and I wasn't exhausted afterwards, I was really chuffed. Not too smelly afterwards, because I washed my hair as well as showering (which is a real achievement in terms of energy). I'll empty the ashes today, and fill up the incinerator again with tinder (the tiny little twiglets). Very chuffed.

Today is quite a repeat: SB, bonfire prep, scanning, digging, bit of cleaning. It's repetitive, but these are the things I need to do to get things the way I want them. I'll also make sure I get some sun on my face
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    That was the survey that got me to payout. . .
    Like you can find no record of previous payouts.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

338Posts Today

3,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin