Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Istna43
    • By Istna43 16th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Istna43
    Car accident without insurance
    • 16th May 18, 9:34 AM
    Car accident without insurance 16th May 18 at 9:34 AM
    Hi guys.
    I had a car accident 2 days ago which was not my fault, the other driver told her insurance company that is her fault, they already called me, doing inspection at my car now,probably a write off.
    The main problem as it turned out that i didn't have road tax and insurance too, both of them expired.
    Will her insurance company pay me?
    Also i've got injuries on my back, chest, knee and wrist, can i claim something for that as I'm not able to go to work,i have been on hospital, and have to go back tomorrow.
    I know it's my fault i didn't have insurance, but i didn't know about it.
    Thanks
    Steve
Page 1
    • Istna43
    • By Istna43 16th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Istna43
    • 16th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:40 AM
    Also will the police contact me?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Istna43; 16-05-2018 at 9:42 AM. Reason: Mispelled a word
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 16th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 11,498 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 16th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:49 AM
    maybe have a read here http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/legal-implications-avoiding-car-tax-insurance.html
    I would expect points at a minimum...
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    Cheers
    Originally posted by Istna43
    Probably - and I should hope they do. How dare you drive without tax and insurance. No doubt you'll be expecting to claim every penny you can from the other driver's insurers - good job they were insured wasn't it?

"I didn't know about it" doesn't cut it. In your position I'd expect very little help or sympathy from the majority of posters here.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 16th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 16th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:53 AM
    You are more likely looking at being prosecuted for driving without insurance and valid road tax.

You may find it difficult for her insurers to deal with you directly, it may be possible but they will want to speak to your "insurers" however you have none.

I'm unsure how to advise you to avoid the law.

best of luck
    • Istna43
    • By Istna43 16th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Istna43
    • 16th May 18, 10:02 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:02 AM
    Cheers
    Originally posted by Istna43
    I know there will be no sympathy, and i know my mistakes, just wanna know what to expect
    Thank you
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 37,481 Posts
    • 21,701 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:06 AM
    You being uninsured won't affect your claim against the liable third party.

Consider using a claim handler to deal with this for you

Get proper legal representation for your injury compensation claim.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 37,481 Posts
    • 21,701 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:07 AM
    If this incident hasn't been reported to the police then they are unlikely to be knocking on your door!

Depending on how long you had no tax or insurance you could be getting fixed penalties through the post
    Last edited by Quentin; 16-05-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    • Istna43
    • By Istna43 16th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Istna43
    • 16th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:14 AM
    Police was called but they were busy, couldn't come to the scene.
    Thanks for all the comments.
    • robber2
    • By robber2 16th May 18, 10:49 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    robber2
    Learn from this and NEVER drive without insurance again. Next time the accidient may be YOUR fault and you risk ruining someone elses life as well as your own.

Rob
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 16th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    brewthebear
    Why would you expect to get paid when you have no ins or tax.
    You should not have been on the road and any injuries received would then be your own fault. I feel sorry for the other person, What if it was the other way round and you went into someone.....?? how do you think they would feel knowing you had no right to be on the road.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 16th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 10,084 Posts
    • 8,304 Thanks
    prowla
    Learn from this and NEVER drive without insurance again. Next time the accidient may be YOUR fault and you risk ruining someone elses life as well as your own.

Rob
    Originally posted by robber2
    Whether or not they had insurance wouldn't make a difference, would it.
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 16th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    brewthebear
    prowla ?? point you are making is...
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 16th May 18, 1:13 PM
    • 22,538 Posts
    • 11,158 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Whether or not they had insurance wouldn't make a difference, would it.
    Originally posted by prowla
    My understanding is that 3rd parties are protected from uninsured drivers and so would be compensated.

That is no way means it's ok not to have insurance or tax and expect other people to pay for it.

I get reminder letters about tax and insurance and I also put expected dates in my electronic calendar, so not sure what went wrong here.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 17th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    LadyDee

Rob
    Originally posted by robber2
    I for one resent my premiums going up each year to cover for morons who don't pay theirs. In an instance like this (if I ruled the world) they wouldn't get a penny compensation., and they certainly wouldn't get paid out for their car!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Why would you expect to get paid when you have no ins or tax.
    Originally posted by brewthebear

Why shouldn't they if it is not their fault?

The insurance and tax is a seperate matter, and yes they may have to pay out more for that than they get for the accident but that's is their choice. Ok tax lapsing I can accept if you ignore post. But insurance would surely have been had to cancel auto renewing as i am unaware of any that don't. Silly yes but also a differnet matter.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 17th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 22,538 Posts
    • 11,158 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I for one resent my premiums going up each year to cover for morons who don't pay theirs. In an instance like this (if I ruled the world) they wouldn't get a penny compensation., and they certainly wouldn't get paid out for their car!
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    I think you need to split out liability and insurance.
    The person responsible for the accident is liable and the victim (and their passengers) are entitled to be compensated.

There should be a penalty for not having insurance and IMO it should be punitive.

Don't forget there may be innocent passenger and family members either directly or indirectly affected.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 19th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I think you need to split out liability and insurance.
    The person responsible for the accident is liable and the victim (and their passengers) are entitled to be compensated.

There should be a penalty for not having insurance and IMO it should be punitive.

Don't forget there may be innocent passenger and family members either directly or indirectly affected.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Yes, there might have been innocent victims - that's not the case here, the OP is not an innocent victim though. They should not have been where they were, they were breaking the law - by being where they were, driving a car they should not have been driving.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th May 18, 10:56 AM
    • 37,481 Posts
    • 21,701 Thanks
    Quentin
    Yes, there might have been innocent victims - that's not the case here, the OP is not an innocent victim though. They should not have been where they were, they were breaking the law - by being where they were, driving a car they should not have been driving.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    By your argument then a drunk driver causing the death of a pedestrian who was an escaped prisoner from Wormwood Scrubs is in the clear as the victim should have been in prison not out and about!

Of course the OP is entitled to his compensation.

Whether or not his car was taxed is irrelevant!!
    • prowla
    • By prowla 19th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10,084 Posts
    • 8,304 Thanks
    prowla
    prowla ?? point you are making is...
    Originally posted by brewthebear
    I was responding to the comment:
    My point is that the two sentences in the comment are unrelated.

My understanding is that 3rd parties are protected from uninsured drivers and so would be compensated.

That is no way means it's ok not to have insurance or tax and expect other people to pay for it.

I get reminder letters about tax and insurance and I also put expected dates in my electronic calendar, so not sure what went wrong here.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Yes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,083Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter