Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 23rd Jan 07, 7:49 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Car insurance successes stories
    • 23rd Jan 07, 7:49 PM
    Car insurance successes stories 23rd Jan 07 at 7:49 PM
    What's this about?

The Cheap Car Insurance System is all about getting the best deal. But for fun, here's a contest to see who across the UK has the ultimate deal. As I write this, the cheapest is 48.

So I thought it'd be interesting to see who else sheared down their car insurance that way. Did you manage it for under 100?

Martin

Update 4 October 2009

After many incremental increases the current record is 96p for fully comp insurance.... as follows.

It's for Barbara Wakerell from Kent.

Policy Price: For Barbara the cheapest was 120.96 from Swinton Insurance for a fully comprenhensive policy, with protected no claims bonus, and including a courtesy car.

Insurer cashback: The company had its own 70 cashback promo on.

Cashback site: She then got a further 50 via using a cashback site.

Full info in the Updated Guide: Cheap Car Insurance

If you get cheap car insurance please report it
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 07-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 21
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 19th Mar 16, 10:58 AM
    • 4,226 Posts
    • 27,107 Thanks
    allydowd
    We downsized our car and used all the comparison websites in Martin's guide and then haggled with Hastings Direct to bring our quote down from 300 per year to 219.13.

Can I have a badge please MSE Badger?
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 136.35km
    Run for Sanity: 23.12km

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Bouncybubbles
    • By Bouncybubbles 21st Mar 16, 9:47 AM
    • 227 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Bouncybubbles
    I got quoted 900 for my Corsa! which was a huge increase from the 500 previous year. By comparing and going direct and adding my husband i got it down to 298 full comp! Can I have a Badge
    Love my DMP left to pay 0/ 10162.51
    Est DFD 11/2018
    Actual DFD 09/2017
    2 savers club: number 88 14 so far!
    Wombling free number 41 6 so far!!
    Emergency fund 50/1000
    • Azzzaa
    • By Azzzaa 1st Apr 16, 6:54 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 2,171 Thanks
    Azzzaa
    I never really believed my grandparents when they said "always ring up and haggle, you'll get a much better deal on stuff".

My first years car insurance for my small, old Peugeot 106 cost me 1300 which was the cheapest quote I received without a black box, which i was happy to pay in monthly instalments. After my year was up my renewal letter came through the post from the same company at 1400. So an 100 increase for no reason, I hadn't claimed or given them any reason to up my quote.

Anyway, being the forgetful person I am, I misplaced the letter I received with my quote and had a little panic on when I couldn't find the letter with whom I was insured with and the reference number. I searched endlessly through my paper work and emails trying to find who i was with.

I thought i was with Hasting insurance, so gave them a ring only for them to tell me I wasn't on their records, they game me the number of some of their sister companies and luckily, the first one I rang happened to be the company I was insured with.

I explained to them that i would like to cancel my renewal as I had found a quote elsewhere. They asked what prices I was getting elsewhere and said they would see what they would do, I hadn't actually got any other quotes so off the top of my head said 900 full comp, which I thought was fair for a 21 year old male for his second year of driving, I explained to the lady on the phone my reason for wanting to cancel because my policy had gone up in price, she explained that they're a broker company and a renewal letter gets sent out usually with a quote matching or exceeding the last policy and they rely on those like me who let their renewal run because they think it's either cheap, convenient or can't be bothered to look elsewhere.

She did a quote for me and my insurance came back at 700!! Thats half price!!! I happily said i would except that and i was insured on a new policy within minutes.

To put that into perspective, for the sake of a 10 minute phone call, i halved my car insurance bill, and saved 700.

700 is just over half a months wage. That 700 could fund 2 one week holidays abroad in the summer or cover my tickets costs for every major festival in the Uk!

700 saving!!! I shall now be ringing around everywhere to get the best deal around!!
    Last edited by Azzzaa; 01-04-2016 at 7:01 AM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 1st Apr 16, 8:50 AM
    • 12,556 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I remembered reading a tip about choosing your job title carefully. I have an admin job at the council.
    On confused.com I checked the following 3 jobs:
    1. Council Worker
    2. Local Government Officer
    3. Local Authority Employee
    Number 3 was the cheapest by 30 - I would never have thought to check these different "jobs" if I didn't subscribe to MSE.
    Originally posted by potofgold99
    There's a tool on this site too

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 3rd Apr 16, 8:27 AM
    • 3,653 Posts
    • 7,457 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We had an insurance renewal quote recently for our old Lexus RX (not the cheapest to run but amazingly comfortable and reliable for driving 2000 miles round the country on holiday). Usual story, quote much higher than last year. 2 or 3 comparison sites later the best offer was our own bank. Quick phone call and a further reduction as we have accounts with them. Result. Fully comp, zero voluntary excess and 160 for both of us.

Did I need another meerkat toy? No, I have already got 4. How much do they go for on eBay?
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 7th May 16, 6:14 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    Only managed to get mine for 264 for this year. Better than paying that every month though!
    Dec 2017 - Dec 2018 ~ Save 5000 404/5000
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 12th May 16, 10:43 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    anniecave
    Last week I did quotes as my car insurance is due for renewal a month from today, and I was looking for any which offer 60 day quotes.

Today I get quotes and with the cheapest provider from last week and now the identical details give a quote that is 65 less?

I think I will try again in another week to see if I get different results again?

I'm also happy to notice that I can list my job as an "accounting machine operator" for a quote that is 20 more than "accounts clerk". I think I'll go for the cheaper option!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • king312
    • By king312 28th Jul 16, 12:09 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    king312
    I had a quote for Admiral, direct it was just over 1600

I had a quote through compare the meekat and got it down to 1006

That's essentially a 600 saving (or 400 on previous year!!!)
    • rupali12
    • By rupali12 22nd Aug 16, 1:05 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    rupali12
    Never let Auto renewal do it for you..
    My insurance was auto Renewed for 1600, I realised it a month later (my fault), however I called and complained to say I never agreed to it and if the agreement was signed by me, also I asked them if it was legally binding. After few of these big words they asked me to show proof of new insurance in place, only charged me for the time it wasn't insured. I did compare the market, got a toy and movies 2for1, called Sheila's wheels right away and got new insurance for 460. Got refund back from Aviva..woohoo. Saved 1160.00 so if you they have auto renewed, challenge it, I even had emails and letters notifying me but it still worked.
    Just be nice to the expensive ones and earn some sympathy points saying this is too much to pay and you can't afford it.
    • DizzyDebbs
    • By DizzyDebbs 19th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    DizzyDebbs
    Using these comparison sites, be aware that if you play about with car usage ie SD&P, Commuting etc. and also play about with the Job description too much, say from unemployed, sick, retired just to compare the ridiculous price changes.
    You will get fraud warning questions from the company you go with as they see all your 'playing about' quotes and almost read the riot act to get you to confirm your choice for the insurance.
    Almost insulting the way I was spoken too.
    As in you should ONLY put in the correct answer straight away!!
    Auto Discharged on 26 June 2009
    BSC # 168
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 27,449 Posts
    • 11,084 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I got banned for doing too many quotes on one comparison site, the only change was the car, nothing else.

I said when you get 2 different prices for essentially the same car then it could make quite a difference to the premium by buying one or the other.

2 identical cars, same year, make, model, spec and engine. No difference at all yet one cost more to insure than the other. Why?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • alvaronistal
    • By alvaronistal 9th Aug 17, 6:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    alvaronistal
    Price went down 20%!
    So I got my Premium Insurance Renewal price from Admiral, 200 increase, from 787.31 last year to 976.99! I went to various comparison sites and all of them quoted me even more than what they offered me for renewing with them. I went to Direct Line and got quoted 790 for a telematics insurance, so I called Admiral and went with them with the price. Guess what? They lowered my price to match Direct Line's, customer service even helped me changing my occupation and a couple more of details in order to get that price!

Do haggle, it only takes 10 minutes and you can save a lot of money!
    • Lucyfur
    • By Lucyfur 24th Aug 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lucyfur
    Price went up!
    I used Moneysupermarket to identify best prices for insurance renewal. I clicked through to three providers and made my selection of the different options they offered to see the prices in more detail. In each case I got a good quote, under which it said " Your quote is valid until: 23/09/2017".

Next step--you're asked to check personal and vehicle details. This included inputting phone numbers. Then had to recalculate.

And the price went UP!. By about 15. Same thing happened for each of the three providers.

When I phoned to ask why giving them my phone number added to the premium, they had no intelligible answer. M&S and Lloyds refused to believe that I hadn't changed anything else and would not honour the quote which was supposely "valid until: 23/09/2017". After discussion, Halifax did--many thanks to the young man in the call centre!

Is this a scam? I imagine many people won't spot that the price changes just for inputting your phone number.
    • Lizzieluv
    • By Lizzieluv 8th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizzieluv
    Saved so on car insurance
    Used moneysupermarket.com to check cheap quotes, used Churchill to save 523 on my annual renewal, happy days 😀
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 11th Feb 18, 4:30 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 17,583 Thanks
    abba1772
    got our renewal for our car insurance and they put it up from 330 last year to 490 this year checked online got it down to 340 through compare the meerkat

popped over to direct line and got my car insurance for 291 saving nearly 200 compared to our current insurer

Paid in full so saving on interest as well

Can I get a badge pretty please MSE Badger
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 18 5493.20 NOW 3994.62
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 6675.63
    • Robots
    • By Robots 26th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Robots
    Couldn't believe my renewal from Kwik Fit as they had been the cheapest by almost half last year. They had slapped an extra 228 on my policy and announced the amazing 'deal' with a fanfare via letter.

Bye-bye Kwik Fit, hello Hastings Direct who have insured me fully comp with breakdown cover for less than the extra money KF wanted.

Would love a badge, lovely MSE Badger
    Veteran gamer and clean freak
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Renewal price 522.60 up from 388.84

New policy 338.81 plus 30.60 CB plus used my CC for a further 1% CB as well.
    Net cost 304.82 - which is even less than last years policy
    Total savings against my renewal quote 217.78

Would love a badge please MSE Badger
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 4th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Used the car insurance guide, ended up adding an additional driver and telematics insurance to bring my first time driver insurance down at least 500 to a manageable amount as opposed to an amount that made me want to cry
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 16th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Badge please MSE Badger
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,776Posts Today

9,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin