Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Itzpc
    • By Itzpc 15th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Itzpc
    Problem with employer
    • 15th May 18, 10:12 AM
    Problem with employer 15th May 18 at 10:12 AM
    Hello, a couple of problems with my current employer.

I've worked there since October. I was told it was 3 months probation. There has never been any problems and all supervisions came back positive. I don't have a contract, I did mention this to my boss a few months ago and she seemed surprised and said she would get her lady to look into it.

I was in a meeting with co workers last week. I haven't finished some work which was meant to be done and she basically said in front of everyone that I'll get sacked if it's not done by the next meeting. Is that normal, cause I would've thought somewhere more private would be more appropriate. It seemed the whole meeting was assumed at me and I got blamed for everything and nobody else did anything wrong. The manager also impersonated me at one point.

I get the feeling they really don't want me there now and after that I don't want to be anyway. But since I'm on probation and with no contact would I get any notice pay or anything if they get rid?
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 15th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 1,764 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 15th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:19 AM
    Hi

I know it is hard but you need a frank conversation with them and ask the question of have I past probation.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 15th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 2,711 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 15th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:40 AM
    Hello, a couple of problems with my current employer.

I've worked there since October. I was told it was 3 months probation. There has never been any problems and all supervisions came back positive. I don't have a contract, I did mention this to my boss a few months ago and she seemed surprised and said she would get her lady to look into it.

I was in a meeting with co workers last week. I haven't finished some work which was meant to be done and she basically said in front of everyone that I'll get sacked if it's not done by the next meeting. Is that normal, cause I would've thought somewhere more private would be more appropriate. It seemed the whole meeting was assumed at me and I got blamed for everything and nobody else did anything wrong. The manager also impersonated me at one point.

I get the feeling they really don't want me there now and after that I don't want to be anyway. But since I'm on probation and with no contact would I get any notice pay or anything if they get rid?
    Originally posted by Itzpc

Even if you have passed probation, they can pretty much get "rid" of you in the first 2 years. They would have to pay notice, so you need a copy of your contract to establish what that is. It will also tell you how much notice you have to give them if you are leaving of your own accord.

In the meantime you must sort out & deliver whatever task it is you were supposed to have done.

You should also feedback privately to your boss that you do not like being mocked (impersonation) as that is a form of bullying.

What does your union think?
    Last edited by nicechap; 15-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • Itzpc
    • By Itzpc 15th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Itzpc
    • 15th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 15th May 18, 10:59 AM
    Ok thanks. But I don't have a contract. So that's why I'm wondering if I would get notice pay.
    It's a small but very successful company, about to employees, no union.

I am actually off sick now, genuinely, but it probably doesn't look good. I have a sick note, due back in later in the week as long as I'm well.
    • Itzpc
    • By Itzpc 15th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Itzpc
    • 15th May 18, 11:00 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:00 AM
    Doesn't let me edit so I meant to say about 40 employees
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 15th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 15th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 15th May 18, 11:25 AM
    Based on what you say, you do sound as if you might be being a bit over-sensitive and/or taking remarks the wrong way - understandable if you are feeling vulnerable. You need to talk to your employer and sort out where you stand - always easy to say and much harder to do, so make sure you are fully recovered and have thought through what you need to say before any meeting.
    Last edited by Brynsam; 15-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 15th May 18, 12:02 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 5,325 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 15th May 18, 12:02 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:02 PM
    Snowflake generation?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 36,183 Posts
    • 46,650 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:09 PM
    Snowflake generation?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    What does that mean please.

Op contrary to what you say and think, you do have a contract. You had this the moment you walked into the place on your first day, although not written down. They have to abide by employers rules
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 15th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 15th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:51 PM
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Snowflake+generation
    • stator
    • By stator 15th May 18, 12:53 PM
    • 6,543 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    stator
    Snowflake generation?
    Silly comment.

Most people would be miffed if their boss was mocking them and doing impressions of them in front of other people.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 15th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 5,463 Posts
    • 6,059 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Snowflake generation?

I disagree. It's totally unprofessional for a manager to have a go at an employee in front of other people. The OP has every reason to be annoyed about it. Management seems to be poor if he hasn't been given a written contract despite asking about it and being told it would be sorted.

"Snowflake generation" refers to a generation with a sense of entitlement and a tendency to scream 'discrimination' or similar, when things aren't going the way they believe they should.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 15th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Masomnia
    In the absence of a written contract spelling out more you will be entitled to a week's notice.

I agree with the others that you need to have a conversation about how it is going, it's better than worrying. Easier said than done of course. Good luck.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 16th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Had a manager like this. Started writing it down everytime they said it. It was a blanket to all of 'us' getting sacked when deadlines were tight. Wrote it down and in what context - basically they said it nearly twice a week at some points of the year. Kept it but never needed it. I'm suer you could probably spin bullying if it was frequent enough, as it's not nice at all to be threatened with the sack all the time.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 16th May 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I'm in limbo myself. Not officially been told I've passed probation and I agree it's stressful.
    As others have said, you could be sacked at any point anyway. Even after 2 years. The 2 year mark is when you can claim unfair dismissal but you would have to prove it first.
    I don't think you are being over sensitive. Being admonished in front of your colleagues and made fun of is hurtful and unprofessional!
    Book a meeting in and ask your manager where you stand. That's not asking too much.
    • cool-dog
    • By cool-dog 16th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    cool-dog
    Snowflake generation?
    Typical gammon comment
    • Les79
    • By Les79 16th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Les79
    Snowflake generation?
    Potentially, yes.

I am more interested to know why OP hasn't completed their workload....

Two most probable reasons:

1. They are work-shy

2. They lack the necessary experience to work at the expected pace (not strictly a bad thing on probation)

If 2, OP should be approaching this in a completely different way; they should be getting up to speed by speaking to colleagues/boss and learn the ropes. A bit of humility about your skills, or current lack of, usually gains sympathy if people can see that you are trying to improve.

If 1, this is probably the result of manager and colleagues being collectively annoyed and frustrated with you. To be fair, saying that you will be sacked if you don't complete the work is a bit harsh BUT I do suspect that this was said in the hopes that it gives you a giant kick up the bum to get up to speed! You make no other mention of when you have been embarrassed by the manager in this manner, so I don't fully believe that they are like this by default. It seems to have been an exceptional circumstance that this was said, and probably more a "shot across the bow". If you think about it, a private meeting is potentially more ominous because it is more formal and less team-orientated.

In a nutshell, do your workload and the boss won't (usually) get on your case.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 5,325 Thanks
    ohreally
    Typical gammon comment
    Originally posted by cool-dog
    I was going to say I've been called worse, perhaps I haven't. You're a million miles off the mark.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter