Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 11:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Page 5
    • iandvedwards
    • By iandvedwards 3rd Aug 09, 2:38 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    iandvedwards
    Just a quick question on House Insurance and Cashback... has anyone tried going for the following...

> separate contents insurance + cashback deal

> separate buildings insurance + cashback deal

i.e. you can currently get about 70 cashback for More than on "Home Insurance".

So theoretically this would enable you to achieve two cashback deals on two separate policies?
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 3rd Aug 09, 2:58 PM
    • 20,782 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    dacouch
    Read the terms and conditions very carefully before you do this as they may have included an exclusion to prevent two cash backs to the same household
    • iandvedwards
    • By iandvedwards 3rd Aug 09, 3:00 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    iandvedwards
    Just found out that More Than only allow Contents only. Buildings cover automatically includes contents "free"
    • iandvedwards
    • By iandvedwards 3rd Aug 09, 3:01 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    iandvedwards
    Got quote for combined insurance for 221, plus 70 cashback, which is pretty good. We are first time buyers, so never had house insurance before.
  • chriszz
    I'm currently looking for home insurance, but i would say that you should take make your decision based on what you're covered for and not just the price! You don't want to miss out on cover just because you wanted to save a few pennies.
  • xandertarr
    Does anyone have any experience on which insurance companies will cover furnished rented accomodation?

I see on Martin's newsletter this week he suggests students use regular insurance providers for their contents cover. I am in a similar situation of needing to renew contents cover for a furnished property and found that a lot of companies don't cover the contents if it is furnished (which I would assume most student properties are).

For example, Direct Line won't cover furnished rented accomodation:

Q. Can I insure Contents in fully furnished rented accommodation?
    A. We are unable to insure the contents of fully furnished rented accommodation, as this should normally be the landlord or managing agent's responsibility.

It might be worth establishing which regular providers will cover rented accomodation rather than students (or other renters) take out cover which isn't actually valid.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 26th Aug 09, 12:28 PM
    • 20,782 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    dacouch
    The contents are generally the Landlords problem to Insure, most policies have a section covering Tenants Liability which covers damage you are legally / contractually obliged to pay for.

If your a student you may find your parents home insurance provides cover for your contents for free (Check with the Insurers and make sure you read any restrictions)
  • xandertarr
    I'm not actually a student, but do live in a furnished property, so it definitely won't be covered on my parents insurance.

I had actually taken out a policy with Direct Line and it wasn't until renew when I called to try and negotiate a better price that they told me I wasn't actually covered and my insurance had been invalid. They were very adamant that because it was a rented property that was furnished I couldn't take out contents insurance even though most of the contents are my personal belongings. Apparently this clause was included because they couldn't be sure whose property I was actually claiming for, and so wouldn't cover any contents.
    • Rosemary
    • By Rosemary 29th Aug 09, 11:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Rosemary
    Just had a cold call from insure4Retirement and the quote for house and contents saved 150 on the renewal notice. Is this comany genuine? Seems so from the little google research I can find.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 30th Aug 09, 8:18 AM
    • 20,782 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    dacouch
    They are a broker so will have quoted you with any number of companies. It would be wise to ask them to confirm the quote in writing so you can see what cover they are providing and which Insurer they have quoted.

If you post up here which Insurer it is we can advise you if they are any good
    • raket
    • By raket 10th Sep 09, 12:53 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    raket
    Successful reduction in House Insurance
    Having had a quote for 360 from existing insurers, went through the (rather painful) process of comparison sites - took about four attempts to complete/compare.

They came up with a starting price of 117. Tweaked these to match the (excessive) cover offered as a baseline by existing policy holder, which knocked some out and decided to go with the 3rd cheapest because of reputation/confidence.

Then I remembered "Ring your existing insurance company!" So not expecting too much of a response - the answer I got was "we'll give you the most discount we can....." and they promptly matched the price! Time well spent on saved money!

Didn't even feel sad I couldn't cancel the existing policy and recommence as a new customer to get their special introductory offer as I'd saved four times the value of the gift offered!
    • archer5
    • By archer5 11th Sep 09, 7:15 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    archer5
    Well Done!
    • clearmydebts
    • By clearmydebts 14th Oct 09, 11:58 AM
    • 6,378 Posts
    • 18,526 Thanks
    clearmydebts
    Does anyone have any experience on which insurance companies will cover furnished rented accomodation?

I see on Martin's newsletter this week he suggests students use regular insurance providers for their contents cover. I am in a similar situation of needing to renew contents cover for a furnished property and found that a lot of companies don't cover the contents if it is furnished (which I would assume most student properties are).

For example, Direct Line won't cover furnished rented accomodation:

Q. Can I insure Contents in fully furnished rented accommodation?
    A. We are unable to insure the contents of fully furnished rented accommodation, as this should normally be the landlord or managing agent's responsibility.

It might be worth establishing which regular providers will cover rented accomodation rather than students (or other renters) take out cover which isn't actually valid.
    Originally posted by xandertarr
    I would like to know if anyone has any quotes for this too. I am moving to a fully funrished property but want to get cover for my engagment ring, musical equipment etc
    Total (Aug 19):58567 48,329
    Loan: 18,700 Car: 13,229
    CC1: 7300 CC2: 6400 CC3: 2700
    DFD:Nov 2022 Aug 2022
    Mortgage: 208,549
    MFD: March 2042 May 2040
    • INSPIRED
    • By INSPIRED 17th Oct 09, 2:25 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    INSPIRED
    Swinton cashback
    I am looking for home & contents insurance at the moment and Swinton are offering 30 cashback on moneysupermarket.

How do I get that cashback and quidco cashback?

Presumably, from Quidco I retrieve a saved quote on Swinton's website but then it is not a new quote and I always thought that the quidco cashback has to be for a new quote.

Confused? Me, too! Can anyone shed light on the matter - even better, has anyone done it and succeded?
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 11th Nov 09, 2:35 PM
    • 1,717 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    Quick question,

I'm going through the comparison sites and it asks you if you have any previous claims, but doesn't include an option to say that the claim was dealt with at no cost to insurers. We had a vehicle strike our property, we claimed on our insurance but they recovered the outlay including our excess from the owner of the vehicle.

Obviously I can't say that there was no claim, but this shouldn't really increase the premium as it was resolved at no cost.

Any advice??
    • lesleymarr
    • By lesleymarr 12th Nov 09, 12:02 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lesleymarr
    The lunatics have taken over the assylum here
    I have a modest semi 3 bedrooms how much should I insure the contents for?

Tried the Hiscox calculator came out at 50 k which seems steep to me what do most people with a semi insure for? Have been doing it for 25000 is this enough?
    Originally posted by dbs
    Yes same here. Then i went through the categories deleting all the stuff i didn't want to insure because I don't have it. I don't have carpets (I have asthma), dishwasher, tumbledryer, children's toys and my furniture is very inexpensive-junk- but lovely. After that i pressed continue and the website put the stuff back! so it says I have to insure carpets and all the stuff I don't have and it works aout at 50k as you say not the 10 i worked out. I am astonished. This is nonesense. I think I will take Martin's extreme advice, insure with a monstrously high excess and self-inure. BTW Legal & General gave the best quote at 80 pa (40 for me as i went through Wesleyan; I am a teacher) but they warned me that I am underinsured, which is what they call, telling the truth.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 12th Nov 09, 3:44 PM
    • 20,782 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    dacouch
    Yes same here. Then i went through the categories deleting all the stuff i didn't want to insure because I don't have it. I don't have carpets (I have asthma), dishwasher, tumbledryer, children's toys and my furniture is very inexpensive-junk- but lovely. After that i pressed continue and the website put the stuff back! so it says I have to insure carpets and all the stuff I don't have and it works aout at 50k as you say not the 10 i worked out. I am astonished. This is nonesense. I think I will take Martin's extreme advice, insure with a monstrously high excess and self-inure. BTW Legal & General gave the best quote at 80 pa (40 for me as i went through Wesleyan; I am a teacher) but they warned me that I am underinsured, which is what they call, telling the truth.
    Originally posted by lesleymarr
    It does sound like you are under insuring which will cost you dearly should you make a claim.

When calculating the value of your contents you need to work on the basis of what they would cost to replace them with a BRAND NEW item. I would strongly recommend you do not insure for 10000 as any claims you put in will be reduced by whatever percentage you have under insured by.

The average home has circa 42000 of contents so 10000 is a very very low amount
  • Maltbyman
    Abbey mortgage/buildings insurance
    Hi,

At present my building insurance is through the Abbey B/soc with whom I have a mortgage. I have asked them if I can change insurance companies in order to benefit from lower insurance prices but they say it's tied in with the mortgage. I can find no reference to this on the agreement.
    Are they just trying to con me in staying with them and paying a much higher insurance cost.

Look forward to any comments from anybody who has been in the same position.
    • Lieutenant Thrift
    • By Lieutenant Thrift 15th Dec 09, 1:30 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Lieutenant Thrift
    Hi,

I'm trying to get contents insurance for a modest amount of stuff (value <5000). I've tried the different comparison sites and it appears to be a toss up between Shelias' Wheels and the AA. This raises a number of questions which I hope my fellow moneysavers can help me with:

1. Is shelia's wheels going to be detrimental to me because I'm not a woman? Question raised by the "insurance with women in mind slogan" at the top of the site and I'm wondering if they're man friendly. Mind you, I co-habit with my partner who is female.

2. When trying to get a quote from SW, I entered my partners' details as co-holder. She is currently a postgrad student to which the site said they couldn't give me a quote and would have to phone. Should I put my partner down as a co-holder or will be penalised? about a third of the stuff in the house belongs to her.. On the other hand, is there a benefit from her being a student?

3. I don't know what kind of lock I have on my door. all I know is it's a Union brand manually operated by a latch key. It is opened by hand from the inside. One worry is that someone could smash out a panel in the door and then reach inside to open it. Should I get a mortice lock that you need a key at all times with?

Thanks,

LT
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 15th Dec 09, 7:51 AM
    • 20,782 Posts
    • 12,872 Thanks
    dacouch
    There is another issue which you need to be aware of, it is very important that you Insure your contents for the FULL COST OF REPLACING THE ENTIRE CONTENTS AT NEW COST. The amount you are proposing sounds very low and even if 5000 is sufficient on this basis at the moment it will quickly be insuffcient as you aquire new items.

If you do not Insure for the full amount you can find any claim you put in is reduced by the percentage you are "Under Insured". So if you actually have 10000 and insure for 50000 your claim would be reduced by 50%..

With regard to your other questions

1) No

2) It is important that you declare the correct information about you and any one who lives with you. Your partner needs to be declared to the Insurers and she needs to be a joint policyholders. If you do not include her as a joint policy holder there could be problems when youn put a claim in. It is also important that she is declared as if SW would not accept Students and you do not declare her then SW are entitled to void the policy and not deal with claims if they discover this. (If an Insurer voids / cancels your policy for these reasons you will have to declare it for future motor and home and any other Insurances and it will make it very very difficult to obtain cover at a reasonable cost.

3) A Mortice lock is always better than a type of lock so if your Landlord is happy for you to change the lock it is worth considering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

481Posts Today

5,919Users online

Martin's Twitter