On benefits and becoming a student

Hi there ,
I am 35 years old and I receive the higher rate of pip benefit . My husband is my full time carer and he gets carers allowance and income support for us both . I suffer with mobility problems and also depression and anxiety . I am in the frame of mind now that I want to do something to keep my mind occupied and have signed up for an open university access module .
To say I am confused is an understatement . When I telephoned them to discuss it and explain my situation I was told to apply for a student loan and grant . I questioned this as I am unaware if it will affect my benefits . I phoned the job centre as advised and all I was told was that sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t , which isn’t really any help as I do t want to go ahead with anything and a few months down the line , have my benefits stopped . I also have 4 children who are all now in full time school so cannot In Any way pit benefits In Jeopardy as it’s a struggle as it is .
I would appreciate any advice at all . I am from wales
:o thank you

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,847
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Krizij83 wrote: »
    Hi there ,
    I am 35 years old and I receive the higher rate of pip benefit . My husband is my full time carer and he gets carers allowance and income support for us both . I suffer with mobility problems and also depression and anxiety . I am in the frame of mind now that I want to do something to keep my mind occupied and have signed up for an open university access module .
    To say I am confused is an understatement . When I telephoned them to discuss it and explain my situation I was told to apply for a student loan and grant . I questioned this as I am unaware if it will affect my benefits . I phoned the job centre as advised and all I was told was that sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t , which isn’t really any help as I do t want to go ahead with anything and a few months down the line , have my benefits stopped . I also have 4 children who are all now in full time school so cannot In Any way pit benefits In Jeopardy as it’s a struggle as it is .
    I would appreciate any advice at all . I am from wales
    :o thank you
    Some loans like maintenance loans will affect the amount of means tested benefits you can claim. If the loan is available to you then your benefits will be affected whether you take the loan or not.

Students and benefits are complicated and for this reason i'd advise you to contact the disabled students helpline. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure