Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 630Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 9:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking £200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 4:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 25
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 17th Nov 19, 12:21 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Seems in this case it was legit, but having a random company who most wont have heard of because they dont know who is dealing with their case, asking for potential personal information does leave it open to fraud.
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 18th Nov 19, 12:39 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    I was nervous about sending personal details before fully checking out the legitimacy, which in itself led me on a bit of a trail. But everything checked out.

Agree that having apparently random companies contact people for personal information, especially when such companies are not listed on the CAA website (that I could find) is a bit disconcerting.

Another thing I should point out is that on Protect Claims website it says "We aim to review correspondence within 60 days of receipt". Now to me that reads as 60 days from when I submitted the additional information they've requested (16th Nov), as opposed to 60 days since I submitted the claim with CAA on 7th October.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 18th Nov 19, 2:04 PM
    • 3,405 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The CAA has requested additional information from very few people. so long as TC's data matches the claim, it should be resolved in 60 days from the original claim. The problem for a few is that the data is missing completely, which is not the customers fault at all, in which case they clearly need to check the payments, TC appears to have been collecting final balances months in advance of when they should have been so the records do not match, and in a few cases they have found fraud in which case the customers should have no documents at all and the claim is sent to the police!
    • SL1960
    • By SL1960 18th Nov 19, 2:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SL1960
    90 or 120 days for a refund?
    Submitted my claim 10 October and just had an email from Rightpath asking for lots more info - which I would have sent to CAA originally if they'd asked! Auto response now says they'll respond in 60 days - so back to the bottom of the pile apparently. Straightforward bog-standard claim, no amendments, all info provided including documentation. I know they've a lot on their plate but the process seems a bit of a farce - just what have they been doing for the last 6 or 7 weeks, or is it a strategy? Angry doesn't cover it!
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 18th Nov 19, 2:40 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    I submitted my claim on the 7th at 8.51am (so the system had only been live a few hours max). Still heard nothing and got no refund. CAA claimed they were doing the refunds on a first come first served basis, but this cant be true if people who submitted claims after me are being contacted.
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 18th Nov 19, 4:46 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    I was nervous about sending personal details before fully checking out the legitimacy, which in itself led me on a bit of a trail. But everything checked out.

Agree that having apparently random companies contact people for personal information, especially when such companies are not listed on the CAA website (that I could find) is a bit disconcerting.

Another thing I should point out is that on Protect Claims website it says "We aim to review correspondence within 60 days of receipt". Now to me that reads as 60 days from when I submitted the additional information they've requested (16th Nov), as opposed to 60 days since I submitted the claim with CAA on 7th October.
    Originally posted by RS2OOO
    Further to the above post I've now received an email auto-reply from Salesforce.com on behalf of ProtectClaims.com (working on behalf of the CAA) thanking me for providing the requested information and stating I should expect to receive a further response within the next 60 WORKING Days!

And then signed off with....

"We trust this is in order.
    Administration Team"
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 18th Nov 19, 5:00 PM
    • 3,110 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    bagand96
    This probably won’t be a popular post, but here goes....

I think people will in the end just need to sit it out and it will take however long it takes. It’s a huge task, bigger than anything ATOL has ever had to deal with before. But you will get the money back.

The CAA clearly made a mistake by even giving a 60 day timescale.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 18th Nov 19, 5:18 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    This probably wonít be a popular post, but here goes....

I think people will in the end just need to sit it out and it will take however long it takes. Itís a huge task, bigger than anything ATOL has ever had to deal with before. But you will get the money back.

The CAA clearly made a mistake by even giving a 60 day timescale.
    Originally posted by bagand96

The CAA messed up by not giving a confirmation email to start with when you submitted your claim.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 18th Nov 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,405 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Nobody has waited more than 60 days so far, my understanding is the intention is to begin to pay at the end of this week, so less than 60 days. For most people, no other documentation is being asked for but unfortunately for a few, TC had no data to match the claim and that is why some are being asked for evidence. The reply is a standard letter which mentions the 60 days, this was a date agreed at the start before they discovered how useless the TC computer systems were, they had three that were not compatible with each other and some shops appear to have lost everything....If your documentation matches the claim there shouldn't be a problem but the funds have to be authorised by the government and as we are all aware, they seem more interested in other issues at the moment!
    • prm1
    • By prm1 18th Nov 19, 7:32 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    prm1
    Nobody has waited more than 60 days so far, my understanding is the intention is to begin to pay at the end of this week, so less than 60 days. For most people, no other documentation is being asked for but unfortunately for a few, TC had no data to match the claim and that is why some are being asked for evidence. The reply is a standard letter which mentions the 60 days, this was a date agreed at the start before they discovered how useless the TC computer systems were, they had three that were not compatible with each other and some shops appear to have lost everything....If your documentation matches the claim there shouldn't be a problem but the funds have to be authorised by the government and as we are all aware, they seem more interested in other issues at the moment!
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    It appears from post #468 that some have had their refunds already ... I think bobblebob got it right when he wrote:
    The CAA messed up by not giving a confirmation email to start with when you submitted your claim.
    I'm fairly certain that all will be well for us all (or nearly all) in the end but it really has been badly administered. A Government or Local Government department might well have found themselves being dragged up in front of an ombudsman facing a charge of maladministration.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 18th Nov 19, 7:39 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen

Not saying i dont believe you, but where are you getting that information from? Cant see anything online about payment dates other than the generic "up to 60 days"
    • SL1960
    • By SL1960 19th Nov 19, 11:18 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SL1960
    Not saying i dont believe you, but where are you getting that information from? Cant see anything online about payment dates other than the generic "up to 60 days"
    Originally posted by bobblebob

I don't think for one moment that the Government are responsible for any delays, nor that the CAA are waiting for their approval to make refunds.

As far as Thomas Cook data being a bit of a mess, that may be the case but I've booked with them for years and all my holiday details were always available after logging in with my holiday reference number - payment records, electronic receipts, dates, you name it. That data didn't disappear overnight for hundreds of thousands of customers - and any semi competent IT support person can access data without user passwords. The CAA have just got it wrong - delaying the first date for applying for refunds to supposedly introduce a simplified process that didn't support what they really needed, farming out the process to third parties without telling customers, some people getting acknowledgements others not - and if you don't have social media where has been the communication to customers - there hasn't been any.

This may be the biggest claims process they've had to run but it wasn't unexpected within the industry and its not like they don't know what they need. Waiting for over half the supposed 60 days to be asked for additional information doesn't inspire confidence.

As a slight aside, the CAA have extended until next year the date by which Travel Agents have to hand over the money they took for Thomas Cook holidays but never paid over. That's a VERY long time to have held on to money they have no right too have. I guess that will go to the Receivers, but it seems there's one rule for their industry and another for the poor s 0 d s that actually allow their industry to exist.
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 20th Nov 19, 10:27 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    Agree with post above, I've also used TC for years and could access payment details for previous holidays via my online account.

Further to that, if it's true they are only requesting additional information from people where that information isn't available to them, then why after they ceased trading did I continue to get notifications from the TC app confirming my tickets and requesting me to complete online check-in for the flights. I also got a notification at the end of the holiday giving me the time to be at hotel reception for the transfer coach back to the airport!

Nothing worse than that to remind you of the holiday you're not on!

It's obviously all preprogrammed from the original booking but proves that all my data is on a live system somewhere so I don't buy in to the idea that they needed evidence of my booking.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 23rd Nov 19, 11:18 AM
    • 35,895 Posts
    • 42,052 Thanks
    Browntoa
    My refunds just arrived , ATOL claim on the 7th October not a direct debit refund.

So looks like it has begun
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 24th Nov 19, 12:15 PM
    • 3,405 Posts
    • 1,719 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    I did suggest earlier in the week that the refunds would start by the end of the week and they have. The people asked for extra evidence are probably some of those who paid far more than they should have done, for example for holidays departing in 2020, only deposits should have been paid but it has become clear that TC 'encouraged ' customers to pay a lot more, often by promising a discount or a money card with 100Euros if they would pay in full at, or shortly after, booking. This means the claims are substantially higher than the amount expected and the CAA are asking for proof before authorising payment. You will be get paid but possibly not within the original 60 days.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 24th Nov 19, 12:34 PM
    • 35,895 Posts
    • 42,052 Thanks
    Browntoa
    They payment was handled by a 3rd party claims company the CAA seemed to have employed to help cope with the workload. I assume the CAA are paying them a commission or per job fee
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 24th Nov 19, 12:48 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    My refunds just arrived , ATOL claim on the 7th October not a direct debit refund.

So looks like it has begun
    Originally posted by Browntoa

Did you get emailed to say your refund will be with you in x number of days? Seems some got notified before the money hit their account
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 25th Nov 19, 5:54 PM
    • 35,895 Posts
    • 42,052 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I got the money a couple of days ago , email turned up at 4.50 pm today.

It said "may take 48 Hours to hit your Bank"
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 25th Nov 19, 9:57 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    CAA confirmed that if you send in further evidence as asked for in an email, it DOESNT reset the 60 days.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 26th Nov 19, 10:15 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    bobblebob
    https://rightpath.secure.force.com/claim/SiteClaimRPCPortal?sparkID=Claim_Portal&sfdcIFrame Origin=null

If your reference number gets in a Z, RightPath are dealing with it and you can check the status of it here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,616Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter