Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Options

Comments

• ianajonesy
    Options
    Anyone in the same position as US relatives who booked flights only from US to UK return in December and therefore have no ATOL protection, no insurance cover and whilst US credit cards offer refunds there is a 120 day time limit? Any hope at all?
  • up-north-eng
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Have you read Martin's very useful and comprehensive article (first page)?

Package hols which include a flight are ATOL-protected
    Package holidays that include a flight are covered by the Air Travel Organiser's Licence (ATOL) scheme. This is the case whether you booked direct with Thomas Cook or via an agent. Look for the ATOL protection sticker (shown right) .You should have received an ATOL certificate when booking (if you booked direct with Thomas Cook, it will be on the final page of your booking documents):
    ATOL protection means that if you hadn't started your trip at the point Thomas Cook stopped trading, you'll get a full refund.

The Civil Aviation Authority says it will be launching a service to manage all refunds by Monday 30 September. This refunds service will seek to process all refunds within 60 days of full information being received.

The CAA has confirmed that ATOL refunds will be for the full cost of your booking – including any extras you paid for as part of the booking, such as seat reservations or in-flight meals. If you booked with a gift card and your holiday is ATOL-protected, your refund will be paid in cash.

Yes, But it’s still not 100% clear on attraction tickets and car hire. Just flight meals and choose your seat etc
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ianajonesy wrote: »
    Anyone in the same position as US relatives who booked flights only from US to UK return in December and therefore have no ATOL protection, no insurance cover and whilst US credit cards offer refunds there is a 120 day time limit? Any hope at all?

Your post implies there is a US equivalent to S75. Why do you think that would not apply? Thomas Cook is in liquidation. They won't be flying any planes anywhere.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, But it’s still not 100% clear on attraction tickets and car hire. Just flight meals and choose your seat etc
    Seriously....:huh:

You need to read it.

The words "The CAA has confirmed that ATOL refunds will be for the full cost of your booking" is a statement.

The words "such as" is provided to give you an indication of how to interpret what has been stated. It is not an exhaustive list.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Twotone2
    Twotone2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2019 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Hi guys, excellent thread this thanks to all of the contributors however I wonder if someone could clear this up for me please?

I booked two return flights £289 total and extras ( meals, seats etc circa £177) with TC via their website back in January the flights were to Feurteventura for 27th November-8 December traveling from Glasgow obviously those flights are now gone and I'm in the process of claiming a section 75 refund via Marks & Spencer bank as we booked and paid for the flights with my wife's M&S CC however alternative flight prices for those dates have almost quadrupled and we have an apartment booked for those dates which we've paid a £300 deposit for with balance of £800 due in October.

We're now in a bit of a quandary regarding paying the additional cost of flights or just lose the deposit on the apartment and maybe try to get that back from the CC company or travel insurance (Clydesdale Bank via current account).

The questions are can we claim the CC company for the additional cost of the flights which is currently approximately £750 or can we claim them for the deposit/full cost of the apartment (if we're liable for the full amount) in the event that we're not covered with the travel insurance?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Tony

Hi guys, I've had a word with the agent we booked the apartment with and advised her that it is likely that we'll cancel so she said if I let her know quickly (next week) and she manages to re-book the apartment then she might be able to do something about our deposit.

Probably not likely that she'll be able to rebook unless it's to someone in Spain but I thought it was decent of her to consider doing something about the deposit if she can.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Twotone2 wrote: »
    Hi guys, excellent thread this thanks to all of the contributors however I wonder if someone could clear this up for me please?

I booked two return flights £289 total and extras ( meals, seats etc circa £177) with TC via their website back in January the flights were to Feurteventura for 27th November-8 December traveling from Glasgow obviously those flights are now gone and I'm in the process of claiming a section 75 refund via Marks & Spencer bank as we booked and paid for the flights with my wife's M&S CC however alternative flight prices for those dates have almost quadrupled and we have an apartment booked for those dates which we've paid a £300 deposit for with balance of £800 due in October.

We're now in a bit of a quandary regarding paying the additional cost of flights or just lose the deposit on the apartment and maybe try to get that back from the CC company or travel insurance (Clydesdale Bank via current account).

The questions are can we claim the CC company for the additional cost of the flights which is currently approximately £750 or can we claim them for the deposit/full cost of the apartment (if we're liable for the full amount) in the event that we're not covered with the travel insurance?

Tony

Unlikely to get the additional costs of the flights to be honest. You could try your credit card company on the grounds that they are jointly liable to provide what was booked, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Have you tried searching for flights from say Edinburgh or even changing in London or Madrid?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Twotone2 wrote: »

Tony

It might be worth you reading through the MSE report as some good advice within the report. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/?_ga=2.124488140.732183897.1569401710-1059820991.1557318334

This an extract which covers your predicament and question -

"What about separate hotel bookings, car hire etc – are they protected?
    - If you're affected by Thomas Cook's collapse, it's possible you could also be set to lose out if you've separately booked extra accommodation or activities that you're now unable to use. This also includes expenses in the UK, such as airport parking and travel to the airport.
    - If you're in this position, your first step should be to get in touch with the supplier of the service and see if you can change your booking or get a refund – even if it's officially not allowed, it's worth explaining the situation and seeing if the firm will make an exception.
    - Also check if your travel insurance covers you, as some more comprehensive policies may give you 'abandonment protection' for consequential losses.
    - Occasionally, we've heard of people trying Section 75 to claim for consequential losses, so there's a chance you can try this too – but success is far from guaranteed."

This last part is I think what you were asking about.
  • up-north-eng
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Seriously....:huh:

You need to read it.

The words "The CAA has confirmed that ATOL refunds will be for the full cost of your booking" is a statement.

The words "such as" is provided to give you an indication of how to interpret what has been stated. It is not an exhaustive list.

I hope you are right, but I’ll not be 100% convinced till I get my money back 🤣
  • Twotone2
    Options
    Thanks guys, I've just checked the booking conditions for the apartment, we have to cancel the booking probably next week or at the outside eight weeks before departure or pay the balance six weeks before departure which is the 16th October however cancellation means we will lose the deposit of £300.

We could 'wait and see' what happens with the flight prices and hang off booking flights until nearer the time and they 'might' get back to more reasonable levels or they might double or even more, who knows? but we would have to pay the balance for the accommodation and take a chance but I'm not going to do that so I'm intending to contact Clydesdale travel insurance tomorrow to see if they'll cover the accommodation deposit and if not then I'll ask M&S bank if they'll cover it and, again, if not then I'll cancel the accommodation and take the hit on the deposit.

In the meantime I'll see if traveling via another airport makes much of a difference cost wise (thanks for the suggestion BTW).

I'll update the post when I have more information.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Tony
  • N4t4lie
    Options
    ianajonesy wrote: »

You can claim using chargeback there is a 120 day limit, but it starts form the day the flight was due to leave (or the date the service became unavailable) not the date you booked it; see the chargeback article on the main website (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback/), it applies globally I believe as it is a Visa, Mastercard, policy and they are global organisations. Probably the quickest way to get a refund.

I would suggest they call the card company, they should be aware of the process, if not, there are template letters on the main website too and I would assume thy can be used or modified for a US card provider.

Hope that helps, I apologise if I am incorrect as I am most familiar with the UK refund system, let me know if I got it wrong though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure