Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daveleics
    • By daveleics 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daveleics
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation
    • 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation 8th Oct 18 at 8:51 AM
    Am I the only one in thinking that TUIs plane seat reservation policy is a complete scam? For those who don't know, if you book a holiday with TUI, they give you the option of reserving your seat on the plane, way before travelling, to ensure you are sitting next to your loved ones. This, however, costs £20 per person (both ways) so the bigger your family, the more you have to pay.

The fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor here as everyone feels compelled to reserve their seats. also, not everyone has or can use a computer, so this policy discriminates against them because those who can, will always be able to reserve their seats first (TUI call every passenger asking them, but not until much later).

I have consistently refused to reserve my seat on principle and have still sat next to my family on the plane, so this just seems like a rather nasty emotional blackmail to squeeze money out of holiday makers based on 'how much their family is worth'. Disgusting. Are there any other airlines that do this? Shouldn't the consumer watchdog be looking into it? - I'm just surprised there's not more of an uproar about it.
Page 4
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Oct 18, 2:32 AM
    • 24,497 Posts
    • 65,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    nothing wrong with my attitude if you are fool enough to pay then keep paying! You did not read my comment properly check in told me there were seat available BUT they were WAITING/HOPING there will be paying customers (like you) i didn't ask to give someones seat who already paid

when holiday/flights are booked airlines know who and how many flying so could easily allocate seats(schedule airlines do) but they are greedy!
    biggest con going charging for seats as all budget airlines deliberatly try to separate faimilies to make them pay a well known fact
    Originally posted by pingu
    I did read your comment correctly.
    You said that the airline may move someone who has paid to accommodate your 'nervous flyer' wife - although TBH, your post is not exactly clear.
    Holiday companies (and fyi it's not just 'holiday companies who charge, lots of scheduled airlines do too) offer a chargeable service.
    Lots of people aren't bothered whether they sit together or not.
    Some are solo passengers.
    It's an extra revenue stream for airlines.
    Why should I subsidise your flight cost?
    FTR, I pay for seats on long-haul flights if the airline charges.
    Not because I need to sink my fingers into my OH's arm for the duration of the flight or can't bear to be parted from him for one minute.
    It's because we've worked out what seats suit us best - and it's not side by side.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 28th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 14,916 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    zagfles
    I think if you re-read Glaswejen's post she gets priority choice of seats on BA (no mention of her flying other airlines so we don't know how they handle it ) so it wouldn't be a case of someone bagging one of the few seats that are suitable for her and refusing to move.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Yes, that was the point. It's not like on a bus, where priority seats can be taken by anyone, but people are expected to move if someone with greater need gets on. The airlines don't rely on passengers to behave like civilised human beings and move if they can see someone with greater need, they make sure the situation doesn't arise in the first place.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Nov 18, 7:32 AM
    • 24,497 Posts
    • 65,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Yes, that was the point. It's not like on a bus, where priority seats can be taken by anyone, but people are expected to move if someone with greater need gets on. The airlines don't rely on passengers to behave like civilised human beings and move if they can see someone with greater need, they make sure the situation doesn't arise in the first place.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    But obviously airlines don't recognise 'nervous flyer syndrome' as a 'greater need'.
    Otherwise, they too would get priority treatment like Glaswejen by being able to select their seats in advance of other passengers.

IIRC, this thread was about someone thinking it was a scam to have to pay to sit next to his 'loved ones'.
    • pingu
    • By pingu 1st Nov 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    pingu
    {Edited by Forum Team}

CHECK IN SAID THEY ARE WAITING/HOPING PASSENGERS MIGHT PAY SO SEATS WERE AVAILABLE NOT ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

I will say it again NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL PAY and i have been flying a long time also i am aware of schedule airlines charging to pick seats on long haul i have travelled with my son few times and wife once and we were not separated once.

In fact coming back from turkey few years back my son a teenager then quite tall the check in looked at him and smiled when we boarded the plain we sat on exit seats

you entitled to your opinion and so am i dont reply to the message if it is not pointed to you which iam sure it wasnt!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-11-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 3rd Nov 18, 12:30 AM
    • 19,770 Posts
    • 25,741 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    I've just booked flights for next year and paid extra to ensure that the family group is split up - happy times.

• zagfles
    • By zagfles 3rd Nov 18, 12:45 PM
    • 14,916 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    zagfles
    But obviously airlines don't recognise 'nervous flyer syndrome' as a 'greater need'.
    Otherwise, they too would get priority treatment like Glaswejen by being able to select their seats in advance of other passengers.

IIRC, this thread was about someone thinking it was a scam to have to pay to sit next to his 'loved ones'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Well I'd prefer passengers and airlines to consider each others' mental health and emotional needs as well as physical, rather than get the ridiculous situation like in the US where airlines are forced to allowed "emotional support animals" on flights, including a pig in one case!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/28/emotional-support-animal-service-pet-flying-housing

Makes swapping seats to cater for an emotionally distressed child or adult seem rather a small price to pay, no?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 3rd Nov 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9,071 Posts
    • 15,089 Thanks
    jackieblack
    we might have to move(once boarding card issued how they were going to do that)
    Very easily.
    They cancel your boarding passes, call you to the desk and give you the new ones.
    If you don't appear at the desk when called, you'll be pulled aside at the gate check before boarding and given the new boarding passes.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 2018 £866.89 OPd, 2019 £1322.33 (inc £750 offset)
    2020 YTD £50, Jan £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Nov 18, 5:32 PM
    • 19,744 Posts
    • 12,409 Thanks
    motorguy

I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    Originally posted by daveleics
    Yes - its very easy to justify. People shop based on price. Its a competitive market so instead of offering an all inclusive service at a higher price you can pick and chose what you want. Why should someone who doesnt want a meal, doesnt mind where they sit and doesnt want to bring extra hand luggage on board pay as much as someone who does?

If you dont like it, dont pay it. Simples.

And no i'm not a mug - i look at the total holiday cost and decide if its worth paying. I dont get "outraged" because i'm expecting everything for free.
    Last edited by motorguy; 03-11-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Nov 18, 5:38 PM
    • 24,497 Posts
    • 65,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    then read again you tool and get that head out of your backside

CHECK IN SAID THEY ARE WAITING/HOPING PASSENGERS MIGHT PAY SO SEATS WERE AVAILABLE NOT ALREADY PAID FOR!!!

I will say it again NEVER HAVE NEVER WILL PAY and i have been flying a long time also i am aware of schedule airlines charging to pick seats on long haul i have travelled with my son few times and wife once and we were not separated once.

In fact coming back from turkey few years back my son a teenager then quite tall the check in looked at him and smiled when we boarded the plain we sat on exit seats

you entitled to your opinion and so am i dont reply to the message if it is not pointed to you which iam sure it wasnt!
    WOW!
    Have you ever considered anger management counseling?
    Because I think you should.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 3rd Nov 18, 5:42 PM
    • 19,770 Posts
    • 25,741 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat

Yes - its very easy to justify. People shop based on price. Its a competitive market so instead of offering an all inclusive service at a higher price you can pick and chose what you want. Why should someone who doesnt want a meal, doesnt mind where they sit and doesnt want to bring extra hand luggage on board pay as much as someone who does?

Originally posted by motorguy

Absolutely right - I was happy to have the opportunity to pick the seats of my choice for my trip, so I could choose who was/wasn't sitting next to me** and where we're going to sit **.

I'm a big unit and an extra £60 for huge legroom on a longhaul flight for me is money very well spent (and much better value than coughing up for PE).

• zagfles
    • By zagfles 3rd Nov 18, 6:28 PM
    • 14,916 Posts
    • 13,517 Thanks
    zagfles

And no i'm not a mug - i look at the total holiday cost and decide if its worth paying. I dont get "outraged" because i'm expecting everything for free.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    AIUI it the the OPs issue isn't about paying to choose a "better" seat, it's about paying to be sat together, which doesn't incur any cost to the airline.

Imagine if cinemas, theatres, restaurants sports stadiums did the same. Pay extra or we won't sit you with your partner/family

But I don't think he/she need worry on TUI.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 7th Nov 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 2,797 Thanks
    mollycat
    Never paid and have never been sat apart from OH.

We see no big deal in not paying and then having to sit apart for 3-4 hours, although appreciate others may not like it.

Daft thread TBH, ("emotional blackmail, rip off etc etc" ).... either pay or don't pay, presumably you will spend the next week/fortnight pretty much exclusively in one another's company anyway.
    • Tyler4402
    • By Tyler4402 3rd Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Tyler4402
    You are right Dave it is the nastiest emotional blackmail devised to squeeze extra money out of holiday makers, without doubt it is a legal but disgusting SCAM, which shows the consumer the ethics of the company with which they are dealing, and the contempt that TUi has for it's customers.
    The problem is there are many people like TadleyBaggie who will accept this blackmail, and probably for several reasons, mainly because they don't know who? to complain to, or are afraid to complain, or can afford the rip off, consumer organisations must aware about it, but say nothing and in my view the F.C.A. is just a toothless quango.
    It's all about being aware, and once the public have been made aware of who they can and should complain to the stream will become a river and that river will become a flood which makes a lot of noise, it does also make me wonder if the German owned TUi rip off their own customers as they do the English
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jan 19, 4:22 PM
    • 24,497 Posts
    • 65,882 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You are right Dave it is the nastiest emotional blackmail devised to squeeze extra money out of holiday makers, without doubt it is a legal but disgusting SCAM, which shows the consumer the ethics of the company with which they are dealing, and the contempt that TUi has for it's customers.
    The problem is there are many people like TadleyBaggie who will accept this blackmail, and probably for several reasons, mainly because they don't know who? to complain to, or are afraid to complain, or can afford the rip off, consumer organisations must aware about it, but say nothing and in my view the F.C.A. is just a toothless quango.
    It's all about being aware, and once the public have been made aware of who they can and should complain to the stream will become a river and that river will become a flood which makes a lot of noise, it does also make me wonder if the German owned TUi rip off their own customers as they do the English
    Originally posted by Tyler4402
    Can a scam be legal?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Jan 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Westin
    Originally posted by Tyler4402
    Over the top ..
    • poshphil
    • By poshphil 4th Jan 19, 3:55 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    poshphil
    On the subject of TUI seat reservations, I was double checking when we can select our seats for our holiday in August and it's basically 90 days before our return flight so a few months away yet. We're going for 2 weeks so does this mean we're disadvantaged on our flight out versus people going for a week, as their return flight will be 7 days before ours and so can choose the seats 7 days sooner?
    • MP5
    • By MP5 14th May 19, 2:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MP5
    I have just tried to check in online with TUI, rules are if you don't pay in advance for the seat, you do not get to check in online, and must check in at the desk. I don't agree with this, I have traveled worldwide with most airlines and I have never checked in at the desk for over 15 years. Not impressed with their booking process, and would not book with them again. I am not even able to enter our passport details which I find quite disturbing.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 14th May 19, 2:37 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    bradders1983
    How on earth is it "disturbing"? Were you travelling to one of these countries:

USA, Canada, Mexico, China (except HKG), Japan, United Arab Emirates, Thailand, South Africa, Spain, Pakistan, Jamaica, Kenya, Algeria, Iran, Syria, Morocco?

And even if you were going to any of the above, most airlines allow you to submit your API on the day of your flight at check-in.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 14-05-2019 at 2:44 PM.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 14th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    pattycake
    I have just tried to check in online with TUI, rules are if you don't pay in advance for the seat, you do not get to check in online, and must check in at the desk. I don't agree with this, I have traveled worldwide with most airlines and I have never checked in at the desk for over 15 years. Not impressed with their booking process, and would not book with them again. I am not even able to enter our passport details which I find quite disturbing.
    Originally posted by MP5
    I use Tui three or four times a year and always check in online. Two weeks before if I pay to reserve seats or one week with no reservation.

I always put in our API ahead of time.

My destinations are EU though so whether that makes a difference.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 22nd Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    SplanK
    Just for information...

In short: Its worth checking earlier if you can make your seat selection as they may have opened the door earlier...
    --------------------------
    Our return flight is 22nd Dec which makes our select our seat date for tomorrow (23rd Sept).

I was checking a few moments ago and noticed that it was already live! I didn't get an email to alert me of this however, maybe that will be later or at the time of the flight tomorrow...?

The config of the flight is 3x3 seating arrangement, but there is 4 of us. I tried to do the logical thing of selecting the full 3 + 1 next to the walk way. The website complained saying I was leaving a gap or not selecting a window seat! How annoying!

A quick call to them however had this resolved and just had the confirmation through with the seats we wanted to ensure we are together!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,328Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter