Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daveleics
    • By daveleics 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daveleics
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation
    • 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation 8th Oct 18 at 8:51 AM
    Am I the only one in thinking that TUIs plane seat reservation policy is a complete scam? For those who don't know, if you book a holiday with TUI, they give you the option of reserving your seat on the plane, way before travelling, to ensure you are sitting next to your loved ones. This, however, costs 20 per person (both ways) so the bigger your family, the more you have to pay.

The fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor here as everyone feels compelled to reserve their seats. also, not everyone has or can use a computer, so this policy discriminates against them because those who can, will always be able to reserve their seats first (TUI call every passenger asking them, but not until much later).

I have consistently refused to reserve my seat on principle and have still sat next to my family on the plane, so this just seems like a rather nasty emotional blackmail to squeeze money out of holiday makers based on 'how much their family is worth'. Disgusting. Are there any other airlines that do this? Shouldn't the consumer watchdog be looking into it? - I'm just surprised there's not more of an uproar about it.
Page 2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 24,527 Posts
    • 65,954 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report. If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat. I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    Originally posted by daveleics
    Lordy! Lordy!
    Exaggerate much?
    There really is no emotional blackmail.
    Pay to sit next to 'your loved ones' if the 'fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor'.
    I certainly don't feel 'compelled to reserve their (my) seats'.
    I will choose to pay to select my seats if it suits me.
    No blackmail.
    Just a simple choice.

You may have been lucky in the past that you've not been separated from your family, but be aware that it could happen on any flight.
    And you have a cat-in-hell's chance of me moving to accommodate you and your family.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 8th Oct 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 4,007 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Thread summary:
    > Toys on the way out of pram, OP expects support
    > No support given, toys well and truly out of pram
    > Reasonable arguments given
    > Reasonable argument battered by further flying toys

Ah, I love the Internet

It's a simple choice - if you want the guarantee, you pay. I'm by no means a mug, but I accept that airlines have to support a business model based on extras and additions for a competitive headline fare.
    It's just the way it is.

If you don't like it, don't be another 'sofa bleater' - start your own airline and have it the way you want.
    Also TC does do this, as I flew with them last week - I suggest you load your own metaphorical pipe with the tattered remains of your pointless argument, and ignite the remnants.
    I don't think the Internet is a place you're cut out for!
    Last edited by mattyprice4004; 08-10-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 8th Oct 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Shelldean
    I didn't pay for our seats on a recent BA flight. However I could only select them about 36 hours before departure.
    We was offered the choice of paying when booking, which I declined. And also when I did book our seats some seats, such as extra legroom still had a charge. But as it was a short flight I didn't bother and opted for free seats.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    jpsartre
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report.

Some people might agree with you, others don't. Believe or not, people sometimes view the same thing differently. If TUI does business in a way that bothers you, then book from somebody else. And they don't have to justify the cost of any product they offer, just as you don't have to agree to purchase it.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 8th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 340,171 Thanks
    DUKE
    OK daveleics, I don't pay either & never have done, not even for exit row seats. So, what about if those of us that don't want to pay get together at the airport & we all agree to shuffle around until we are sitting next to each other?

I must admit though that apart from one time (I made such a fuss, I'm lucky that the airline in particular didn't beat me up like they did with that Dr) we've always sat next to each other. Usually I ask for exit row & get them, but it can get quite cold in those seats so I don't bother any more.
    Thanks everyone!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 8th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat.
    Oh yes you would, if you want to guarantee having a seat.

Specific seats can be booked on trains, and on many, if not most, longer coach journeys.

Otherwise you run the risk of having to stand part (at least) of the journey on busy routes.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 08-10-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 8th Oct 18, 7:31 PM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles
    We flew with TUI last yesr and didn't reserve seats, checked in quite late, and ended up all together with extra legroom seats
    Generally if you don't pay to reserve seats you do usually end up together, except on Ryanair, IME. We've never paid and always ended up together except on Ryanair.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 8th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles
    Oh yes you would, if you want to guarantee having a seat.

Specific seats can be booked on trains, and on many, if not most, longer coach journeys.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Yes but it's usually free. I've never paid extra to reserve a seat on a train.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 8th Oct 18, 7:41 PM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles
    My point is that there's an element of emotional blackmail here that is obviously reflected in the report. If I bought a bus or train ticket in advance I wouldn't expect to pay extra to reserve a seat. I would like to know how the airline justifies the charge? or specifically, what work is involved in reserving a seat in advance, over and above the work involved to give a passenger a seat, next to their family, when they check in at the airport? my guess is none. In which case, what justifies the charge? It's a rip off. Then again there are plenty of mugs in this country if this forum is anything to go by. No wonder they get away with it.
    This is a subject that gets discussed a lot on here and gets a lot of people hot under the collar. MSE have done several articles/campaigns about this, this one may be of interest:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/airline-seating/
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Oct 18, 10:10 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    sheramber
    Yes but it's usually free. I've never paid extra to reserve a seat on a train.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    It will be included in the cost so everybody pays- no choice not to.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th Oct 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    jpsartre
    It will be included in the cost so everybody pays- no choice not to.
    Originally posted by sheramber

This is often stated but really doesn't make much sense. There is no cost to the train company to allocate seats to passengers so there's no cost to include. It's like saying the cost of breathing air while travelling is included in the ticket cost.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 9th Oct 18, 4:33 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    martindow
    There is no cost to the train company to allocate seats to passengers so there's no cost to include.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    They have to set up the web site to allow seat reservations and on the train either cardboard tickets need to be placed on seats or something plugged into the electronic seat reservations system.

There must be costs involved in this which as has been said is built into the ticket prices.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Oct 18, 5:58 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Fair enough, there are obviously some costs to offering advance seat selection. Let me rephrase the point then: The charges for advance seat selection that are in place with many airlines do not reflect the actual cost of offering this product.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 9th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Perhaps it varies between train companies ?

I know that certain bus operators charge a small fee for reserved seats - and others simply don't offer the option.

I have limited experience of flying except as a couple, and we've never been seated separately in 40 + years of package holidays, flight only deals and air connections to join a cruise ship.

We have been allocated aisle seats in the same row a very few times which is not an issue for us, although I understand some punters consider that as separate seating.

On two occasions we have had grandkids in the party and the airline tried to have me pay extra to sit the group together - I challenged top management to justify this and they relented both times as a "goodwill" gesture.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 09-10-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 12th Oct 18, 9:13 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    I for one welcome the fact that you can reserve seats in advance, and I don't even mind paying for it. It means I can guarantee some peace and quiet sat away from my children for the duration of the flight, whereas in the past the airline always used to just seat us together!
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 12th Oct 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    MataNui
    Even paying to reserve doesnt mean you get what you want with some airlines.

We booked with Jet2 and payed for and reserved 2 extra leg room seats for both the outbound and return journeys at the time of booking.

When we boarded the plane on the outbound we found the seats were not extra leg room, just standard. The seat numbers were what we reserved though. Turns out the plane configuration was different to the one on the booking (two seats by the door were on the other side of the aircraft) so our 'extra leg room' were not extra leg room on that plane. It was a good job i had the email confirmation with me that proved i had payed for the extra leg room so they moved us once everyone was seated. Exactly the same problem on the way back.

Had they sold those seats and not been able to move us i bet they wouldnt of refunded the money.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 12th Oct 18, 10:09 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bradders1983

We booked with Jet2 and payed for and reserved 2 extra leg room seats for both the outbound and return journeys at the time of booking.

When we boarded the plane on the outbound we found the seats were not extra leg room, just standard. The seat numbers were what we reserved though. Turns out the plane configuration was different to the one on the booking (two seats by the door were on the other side of the aircraft) so our 'extra leg room' were not extra leg room on that plane. It was a good job i had the email confirmation with me that proved i had payed for the extra leg room so they moved us once everyone was seated. Exactly the same problem on the way back.

Had they sold those seats and not been able to move us i bet they wouldnt of refunded the money.
    Originally posted by MataNui
    They probably would had you contacted them, dont be negative.

Anyway I see the OP has flounced off, probably because everyone didnt agree with him.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Oct 18, 10:12 AM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles

Originally posted by MataNui
    All airlines do this. You don't reserve a seat, you request a preferred seat. Every airline's T&Cs will state that you aren't guaranteed the seat you selected and can be moved elsewhere.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 12th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 963 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    bradders1983
    All airlines do this. You don't reserve a seat, you request a preferred seat. Every airline's T&Cs will state that you aren't guaranteed the seat you selected and can be moved elsewhere.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    In the case of extra legroom though you are paying more than for a normal seat, so they should refund you if due to other circumstances this changes to a bog standard seat.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Oct 18, 11:01 AM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 13,521 Thanks
    zagfles
    In the case of extra legroom though you are paying more than for a normal seat, so they should refund you if due to other circumstances this changes to a bog standard seat.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    They should but probably don't have to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,687Posts Today

7,992Users online

Martin's Twitter