Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Xbert
    Target price for domestic heating oil
    • 1st Feb 05, 5:09 PM
    Target price for domestic heating oil 1st Feb 05 at 5:09 PM
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution.

Our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may also be helpful.

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:14 PM.
Page 6
    • Martin100
    • By Martin100 9th Dec 07, 11:06 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Martin100
    Heating Water - oil versus electric
    Spent a long time wrestling with this before I actually bought a house with oil. This is how I worked it out (hopefully its reasonably logical!)

Working out the cost of a KW of heat from oil (so you can compare to electric/gas)

- a litre of heating oil (kerosene 28 sec) burnt at 100% efficiency will release approximately 10KW of heat (this was a consistent figure from various internet/oil websites I searched in March)
    - You now need to know the SEDBUK efficiency of your boiler (always given as a %) (if you're buying a new condensing biler the manufacturers website should tell you this)
    - mutiply 10KW by the SEDBUK Efficiency (this is how much you'll get as useable heat from your boiler)

I have a condensing Worcester Danesmore boiler - (1 year old) quoting 92% so for every litre of oil I get 9.2KW of useable heat (if your boiler is more efficient you get more - and vice versa)

So a litre of oil (currently an eye watering 38.9p, plus VAT at 5% = 40.8p
    take this figure and divide by the useable heat (9.2 for me) = 40.8/9.2 = 4.4p

This means that in effect each KW cost me 4.4p - and I can compare that to electricty (I'm paying about 8.5p inc VAT) so all told, comapred to standard daytime its cheaper to use oil - if you know your offpeak tarrif then you can compare (but remember to add on any increased day tariff if necessary).

When I looked LPG had a lower KWH per litre - but can find my notes to say how much - all I know was it worked out a lot more expensive.

Not sure if this proves anything other than how sad I am - or if it would ever pass any kind of 'review' but its the best I could find!
    Originally posted by owned by 2 Siamese
    Thanks for that information. I found it very useful as it is good to compare heating oil prices against other fuel considerations. In your calculations we assume the heat output is converted into the radiators of the house.

However in the past I have considered that it might be better to heat up a tank of the hot water by using electric. One main reason for this was because of the inefficiencey of heating up all of the ancillary pipework before full heat from the boiler is transmitted to the indirect heating coil of the hot water cylinder. You could argue that this is ok as some of that heat will go off to heat the house aswell but this is not necessarily heat where you want it. Also during the summer months, heating with electric directs total 100% efficiency to the heating of the hot water tank with negligable spill off to unnecessarily putting heat into the house.

My costs per litre of oil calculate at 5 pence per kilowatt and my electric heating unit cost are 8 pence per kilowatt.

What I am presenting here are considerations of how we use our oil as for some it might be better in terms of heating water by using electric.
  • Xbert
    No prosperous New Year in sight for me - not at 45p / litre ! Hope my 1000 litres (450!!) lasts out to the Spring when prices traditionally start to soften.
    • landgirl100
    • By landgirl100 11th Jan 08, 5:03 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    landgirl100
    My oil supplier has just written to me to say that all monthly direct debits are to be increased by 25 in February. This brings mine to a whopping 143 per month! I don't have gas and electric heating still seems to be more expensive according to various posts on here. My boiler is over 20 years old and the maintenance man tells me it's on its last legs every year - would I gain anything by having a new one now? I suspect it's cheapest to sit tight and wait for it to break down!
    Landgirl
  • nickmoul
    A new boiler will cost say £700 to £1200 depending upon size of your house, plus say £200 to fit. Assume total cost =£1200. You are spending £140/month. Expected savings 30% - possibly more - or about £40/month, so payback is about 2 and half years. If its really old and really inefficient then you have to weigh the worry of a major breakdown in the winter. You could be without heating for 1 month, these boilers take time to come and getting a plumber........

Do you negotiate the oil prices with your supplier before you order deliveries? There can be 15p/litre difference from one supplier to another and a phone call to 2 or 3 in your area is well worth it. I save 10% regularly.

Best of luck.

Nick
    • oysterman
    • By oysterman 13th Jan 08, 7:47 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    oysterman
    Do you negotiate the oil prices with your supplier before you order deliveries? There can be 15p/litre difference from one supplier to another and a phone call to 2 or 3 in your area is well worth it. I save 10% regularly.

15p difference, your having a laugh are you not, at todays prices say an average of 43-45p litre you can get it below 30p. More likely you can get a diff off 1-3p at mo.

Best way to save on oil prices is get you and your neighbours to get together as a syndicate & buy in bulk. The more you order the cheaper the price(normally)
    if i had known then what i know now
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 17th Jan 08, 1:00 PM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    How much are people being quoted atm?
    I've got 41.6 ppl. For 1000 litres, its gone down a little bit in the past couple of weeks I think.
  • The Eye Of Sauron
    Just paid 0.4195 from my regular supplier.
    • Lotus-eater
    • By Lotus-eater 25th Jan 08, 9:21 AM
    • 10,426 Posts
    • 23,111 Thanks
    Lotus-eater
    Just got a new quote from boilerjuice at 41.08 ppl.
    Thats without a buyers weekend, which hopefully will be soon.

Yobco quoted me more last time I asked (than boilerjuice)

So the price has come down a teeny bit, as indicated by the price graph on boilerjuice, the question is, do I order 500 or 1000 litres, who knows where the price is going......... no one thats the problem. Wish I had a crystal ball

edit
    Just ordered some at 39.07 from a local supplier.
    Last edited by Lotus-eater; 25-01-2008 at 10:53 AM.
  • Lynt
    Hi, I'm new here.

I've just ordered 1000 litres heating oil for 42p + 5% vat. from my usual local supplier. I was told it had come down from 49p.

I checked Boiler Juice before I ordered, and they were quoting 51p!!

Does anyone know of a site where I can keep an eye the price of oil?

Cheers
    Lynt
  • ellieuk
    Just ordered 1000 litres at 39.2p (+VAT)
    • thriftychick
    • By thriftychick 5th Feb 08, 3:53 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    thriftychick
    Its 46.99p unit price + VAT here. That's the cheapest in our area!
  • tlck9
    need to order oil in the cornwall area, has anyone had any good quotes recently?

Also does anyone know of a maintenance agreement for service and maintenance, i used ti have one on my gas bolier for £9 a month, which included 1 services and any callouts, labour and parts if anything went wrong...but domestic and general dont deal with oil boilers

Any ideas appreciated

I was also told that ordering 600 litre instead of 500 litres was quite a bit cheaper, any experience of this
  • tlck9
    thanks I had used this site for prices but didnt realise they offered maintenance agreements

Does anyone have a miantenance on theirs is it good value?
    • itsnever2lateisit?
    • By itsnever2lateisit? 6th Feb 08, 2:36 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    itsnever2lateisit?
    Just ordered 1000 litres at 39.2p (+VAT)
    Originally posted by ellieuk
    Thats good, where are you? I just been quotes 41.66p + VAT
    Debt @ LBM 04/07 14,80401/08 10,472now debt free

Target: Stay debt free
  • tlck9
    42.77 cornwall
  • oap
    Anglesey - Gwynedd - managed to get it down to 41.1 plus vat today, after hassling, started off at 42.5!! Let us buy 800 litres, any less and would cost more, so bought less as will last until summer.

Last week I have been told it went to 39p, so missed the boat!!

Regards oap
  • oap
    Solrry when I said bought less, meant 800 litres!!:confused:
  • spongaldrifter
    oil heating.
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Originally posted by Xbert
    Hi, where do you get these good prices from, i live in the Highlands of Scotland it cost me over 500 for a 1000 litr's, i was 32p last year i'm paying up to 49p now, it's up and down, it seems to go down when you have just filled up. kind regards Simon.
  • spongaldrifter
    Oil prices
    Hello. Come and live in the highlands of Scotland, we are paying up to 49p a ltr for oil, we use 3 tanks a year for our water and heat, it will cost us an extra 500 this year, we have cut down to have the heat on for only 5 hours a day now, with coal, wood and electric as back up , our annual fuel bill will be 2100 this year, it maybe time to change the oil for a wood burner with a back boiler as when oil prices go up so does heating oil, we have tried to cut back, what more can i do? it get's very cold up here.
  • oap
    We think wind turbines are the way to go, we think eventually we will all have to have one, we went into it but as we are in our seventies would not recoup the price, however, if you are young enough well worth it.

You need planning permission I think if its in the garden, and the ones on the house are apparently too small!!

Any unused electricity gets sold to the electric company.

There are new electric boilers now that will run your existing raditors.

We are fed up to the back teeth at present with the whole dam thing. Paid 41.1 per litre for our oil yesterday.

Regards, oap

ps there are websites with all the info on about wind turbines.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,946Users online

Martin's Twitter