Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Xbert
    Target price for domestic heating oil
    • 1st Feb 05, 5:09 PM
    Target price for domestic heating oil 1st Feb 05 at 5:09 PM
    Insert From Martin

Where to find the cheapest fuel oil isn't easy. While gas & electricity price comparison services are common place, the same isn't true for fuel-oiled heating.

The discussion that follows is a merger or two that contained much information. The answer seems to be 'get lots of quotes, and don't believe the hype'.

In the third message of this discussion you will see a list of comparison sites, and then in the sixth a press release from a newly launched company. Please do enter the discussion, hopefully together as collective MoneySavers we'll find a solution.

Our fully researched Cheap Heating Oil guide may also be helpful.

Martin

Original Post below....

I posted this first in the 'I wanna ..' forum, this looks more appropriate.
    First price is 24p/litre last week in Cornwall. I'm going to start getting some quotes for myself. If people think it's useful I'll put them up here. I know the suppliers respond to the spot market for oil, but at least some idea of what the going rate is might be useful to somebody, somewhere!

Quotes will be for 1000 litres of standard 28ps heating oil, excluding VAT.

Target price for domestic heating oil
    Does anybody know where to find target prices for domestic heating oil (1000 litres of 28ps)? It's pretty unrewarding phoning around all the distrbutors and the boilerjuice and greenwelly (yes really!) websites both returned prices that were worse than I could get straight off the bat.
    It's hard to believe that in this day and age of consumer regulation up the Ying-Yang there appears to be none that applies to heating oil.

Thanks.

First post so please be gentle with me!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-02-2014 at 1:14 PM.
Page 5
  • oscardog
    Further to my last comment, our syndicate bow has 22 households (plus the local school) and we are saving about £150 per household per year.

That makes it worth doing I say.

All I did was a bit of advertising in the local village magazine, relied on some word of mouth and lo and behold we are saving money.

As a syndicate, we buy around 20,000 litres every 1/4 - to a fuel supplier, that is a goose laying golden eggs as we are all within a couple of miles of each other so they save on fuel and labour costs.
  • digill
    Dear Martin

Sorry to 'butt' in with a query about Gas but I wonder if I can alert you to what I feel is another stab in the back by British Gas (aka Flo Gas for those of use who have bulk gas tanks)..

I have received a recent letter telling me that I am now going to have to pay maintenance etc on my bulk tank and peripheral equipment (suppose they mean pipes etc?) which is only going to cost me 2p per day whoopeee thats 7.00 per month times twelve which is of course is another 84.00 per year. On top of the extortionate amount we have to pay anyway!

Now as a bulk tank customer I never receive any decrease in my gas price as so beautifully advertised across our TV screens every night nor as a dual customer do I qualify for a reduction now they want to make even more money from me would you be able to investigate this absolute scandal for those customers like me I feel very aggrieved by this further turn of the screw for bulk tank customers but our hands are tied because it would cost us to move they would take away our bulk tanks which we would then have to replace with another firm.

To add insult to injury I have never ever had my tank maintained (although my neighbour recalls receiving a letter some 5/6 years ago informing him this was happening).

I feel so strongly about this I am going to refuse to pay and would like to take it much higher what are my chances do you and your readers think

Many thanks

Di Gill

A regular reader of your pages.
    • Youngy
    • By Youngy 23rd Jun 07, 9:11 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Youngy
    Last delivery we had on 30/4 we paid 32.45 per unit for 1k litres inc VAT.

Just did a quote using heatingoil.co.uk for 1k litres on my postcode and came up as 32.63 inc VAT, delivered any day between now and 20/7. Postcode = CV35 0xx
  • artless
    daddy or chips!
    Hi I am new to all this, we moved into a home that has heating oil and I was wondering if you could run your heating on chip oil like you can a car? Does anyone know? I wondered if gas was better for the environment?
    cheers
    • philkenning
    • By philkenning 13th Sep 07, 10:44 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philkenning
    Heating oil (kerosene) is a different viscosity (stickyness) to both cooking oil and diesel (also known as gas oil if you have red diesel) so trying to burn this without changing the burner jet in your boiler will probably cause you problems.
    hope this helps
    Phil

Hi I am new to all this, we moved into a home that has heating oil and I was wondering if you could run your heating on chip oil like you can a car? Does anyone know? I wondered if gas was better for the environment?
    cheers
    Originally posted by artless
  • lovelongisland
    cheap oil service on long island
    I've been trying to look for cheap oil services on long island, can anybody help me please?
  • andycharger
    Cheap oil syndicate
    Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone has actually saved money via a "Boilerjuice buying weekend"?

Every time i have tried it, not enough orders are met. Funny that....
    Im in post Code area ME18 just in case you are interested!

Anyhow, what im proposing to do is we set up a forum or bulletin board for boilerjuice members to find each other in the local postcode! I can see i have 35 boilerjuice members in my area but no way to contact them. If we tailor our purchases so that we all buy at once we wiull be doing our bit for the environment by needing less tanker journeys to deliver!

I suspect i know why they dont have a member search facility so im proping to build one. Any thoughts on this guys?

Please PM or email me for more details.

Andy
  • owned by 2 Siamese
    Hi Andy - absolutely understand where you are coming from on this! I suspectthe reason they dont reveal who other members are is due to data protection - they cant reveal who the other members are without their individual permission.

I dont know if you do - but I get an email when someone else in the village orders oil - so I can order to and in effect benefit from the reduced price (a random buying weekend!)

For a while we have been trying to synchronise our oil refilling with some neighbours - its not easy - we all have different tanks (different efficient boilers) and different heating habits. those with small tanks dont have the ability to hold on for the big ones - then when they are filled we're back to different consumption rates!

Boilerjuice use the same local (40miles+) supplier as I used before - and they always quote the same price -only difference is when I deal direct I get 28 dayscredit - whereas with BJ I have to pay on my card!! For me, living in a small village its a real struggle to get a working buying group together
  • DanDruff
    I'm new to home heating using oil (new home) and I've just received the following quotes:
    Sussex (BN12), HeatingOil.co.uk, 15/10/07, 1000litres, 36.38p/l
    Sussex (BN12), BoilerJuice.com, 15/10/07, 1000litres, 35.95p/l.

Boilerjuice appear to have the edge in terms of price, but the difference is minimal. Both outfits would appear to be able to deliver when I want. Does anyone have any other recommendations or should I take some time to phone around the suppliers myself? (something I was hoping to avoid.)
  • oap
    Hi, we are in Anglesey (NOrth Wales) this morning phoned about four suppliers, and best price offered was 34.75 per litre plus vat. We were quoted 36.40, and 34.90 . We managed to get our regular supplier down to 34.90. Off the top of my head it was 366.45 for 1000 litres. It seems to us that they always ask your post code and are you a regular buyer with them, and when did you buy last from us, and it seems if you buy from the same supplier you get a better deal, but not always, however, over a tank of 1000 litres, we saved around twenty pounds just for asking.

We also sent an e mail to oil price check . co.uk as they are still quoting 318 for 900 litres(I think this includes vat) which is lower than we could find anywhere at this end of the world. We also asked them why the oil is so expensive, does anybody know on here?? Is it supply and demand. It has not come down all summer and as we are down to a couple of inches in the tank have been forced to pay the price, we are grateful to the labour government for at least giving us two hundred pounds towards it, which helps, but only on one delivery, so we shall have to be really careful as these prices are getting out of hand.

We do not have the choice of North Sea gas as there is no natural gas supply where we live.

Hope this helps a bit, there does not seem to be much difference from one end of the country to the other. Regards oap
  • tlck9
    completely new to oil in fact havent moved into the house as yet

are there any key tips anyone can suggest, we're moving from an old house with gas to one that is only 2 years old, with oil for heating and water, 2 calorgas bottles for cooking.

I'm keen to minimise my bills, currently pay about 85 for both electric and gas at the moment

the property is in North Cornwall

Thans in advance
    • lowbrim
    • By lowbrim 21st Oct 07, 7:02 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    lowbrim
    I always ring around all suppliers in the yellow pages and I always beat boilerjuice easily by at least a 1p litre. Most suppliers will beat a genuine price quote.
  • jnorris235
    New oil boiler?
    Like everyone else - scared stiff of the ever increasing oil prices.
    And we're going to need a new oil boiler in the next year or so, as we put radiators in two unheated big upstairs bed rooms.
    We do not have gas. We are heavily insulated (as is the house).

Has anyone done any clever sums that would help me decide whether to pay 1500 for a new condensing boiler plus higher oil prices for 10 years (this year 1250), or move over to electricity?

Hot water central heating is impossible to zone (I'm not running round every room twice a day turning valves on and off when I'm the only one left at home all day!) so I think it is wasteful.

Therefor my thinking is that fully controllable electric heating may turn out to be cheaper with perhaps a few storage heaters in central areas.

I have found it impossible to unfuddle my thinking on this one!
    • philkenning
    • By philkenning 9th Nov 07, 12:09 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philkenning
    If you have the big 47kg gas bottles these should last 6 - 9 months each and you wont be tied to a contract where you have to get it from. Shop around when you need some more, beware of switching to a supplier who wants to charge you a deposit for the bottles as you rarely get this back.

The worst thing about oil is the fact that you have to buy a whole load of it and pay for it in one big lump which is always a shock to the system. If you have oil in your tank when you move in make a mark on the sight tube on the tank at weekly intervals to give yourself an idea of how quickly you are using the oil and give you some notice of when you will need some more. Don't expect to be able to get a delivery the next day when you want it, it could be up to a week before you get your delivery so plan a bit in advance. Oil companies dont like delivering small quanties so charge more for quantities less than about 800 litres (always ask them whether the price changes depending on quantity) and of course always haggle.

all oil tanks need the water draining out periodically to prevent damage to your heating boiler and also it can freeze in the winter which stops the flow of oil and your boiler doesnt work! There is usually a small bowl on the outlet from your tank which contains a filter. Close the valve and remove the bowl (wear gloves because heating oil is not nice!) drain the water and clean the filter replace the bowl open the valve and hey presto its all done or alternatively get your boiler service man to do it every year when he is there (they should do it but never do)!
    I hope this helps a bit

completely new to oil in fact havent moved into the house as yet

are there any key tips anyone can suggest, we're moving from an old house with gas to one that is only 2 years old, with oil for heating and water, 2 calorgas bottles for cooking.

I'm keen to minimise my bills, currently pay about 85 for both electric and gas at the moment

the property is in North Cornwall

Thans in advance
    Originally posted by tlck9
    • philkenning
    • By philkenning 9th Nov 07, 12:16 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    philkenning
    of course there is also the option of an lpg condensing boiler, you would need an lpg tank then though and the complication of being tied into a contract with an lpg supplier
    electricity prices seem a lot more stable than oil prices and there certainly seems more competition in the market place than oil
    difficult decisions!

Like everyone else - scared stiff of the ever increasing oil prices.
    And we're going to need a new oil boiler in the next year or so, as we put radiators in two unheated big upstairs bed rooms.
    We do not have gas. We are heavily insulated (as is the house).

Has anyone done any clever sums that would help me decide whether to pay 1500 for a new condensing boiler plus higher oil prices for 10 years (this year 1250), or move over to electricity?

Hot water central heating is impossible to zone (I'm not running round every room twice a day turning valves on and off when I'm the only one left at home all day!) so I think it is wasteful.

Therefor my thinking is that fully controllable electric heating may turn out to be cheaper with perhaps a few storage heaters in central areas.

I have found it impossible to unfuddle my thinking on this one!
    Originally posted by jnorris235
    • peat
    • By peat 9th Nov 07, 6:28 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    peat
    Try a search on this forum for "wet electric central heating"
  • owned by 2 Siamese
    comparing cost of oil to other heating
    Spent a long time wrestling with this before I actually bought a house with oil. This is how I worked it out (hopefully its reasonably logical!)

Working out the cost of a KW of heat from oil (so you can compare to electric/gas)

- a litre of heating oil (kerosene 28 sec) burnt at 100% efficiency will release approximately 10KW of heat (this was a consistent figure from various internet/oil websites I searched in March)
    - You now need to know the SEDBUK efficiency of your boiler (always given as a %) (if you're buying a new condensing biler the manufacturers website should tell you this)
    - mutiply 10KW by the SEDBUK Efficiency (this is how much you'll get as useable heat from your boiler)

I have a condensing Worcester Danesmore boiler - (1 year old) quoting 92% so for every litre of oil I get 9.2KW of useable heat (if your boiler is more efficient you get more - and vice versa)

So a litre of oil (currently an eye watering 38.9p, plus VAT at 5% = 40.8p
    take this figure and divide by the useable heat (9.2 for me) = 40.8/9.2 = 4.4p

This means that in effect each KW cost me 4.4p - and I can compare that to electricty (I'm paying about 8.5p inc VAT) so all told, comapred to standard daytime its cheaper to use oil - if you know your offpeak tarrif then you can compare (but remember to add on any increased day tariff if necessary).

When I looked LPG had a lower KWH per litre - but can find my notes to say how much - all I know was it worked out a lot more expensive.

Not sure if this proves anything other than how sad I am - or if it would ever pass any kind of 'review' but its the best I could find!
  • Strapped
    Hello all. New to the oil buying game, having moved to a house with oil heating earlier this year. We joined the village oil buying consortium, first delivery last week (1000l) was 39.4p + VAT...I about fell off my chair when receiving the invoice. Is this about right, because it seems expensive to us! (We're in Devon). Thanks
    • noonesperfect
    • By noonesperfect 6th Dec 07, 11:52 AM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    noonesperfect
    Hello all. New to the oil buying game, having moved to a house with oil heating earlier this year. We joined the village oil buying consortium, first delivery last week (1000l) was 39.4p + VAT...I about fell off my chair when receiving the invoice. Is this about right, because it seems expensive to us! (We're in Devon). Thanks
    Originally posted by Strapped
    No that's about right. I just ordered 900L at 35.9p per L + 5% VAT.
    Prices quoted up to 41.9p It alters daily.
  • titus.a.duxarse
    Heating oil prices
    The current price of heating oil is ridiculous. We've just ordered 1000L @38.70p per litre. That's over 30% higher than we paid in March this year.So much for inflation at 4 point something per cent!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,880Posts Today

8,999Users online

Martin's Twitter