Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    the thinker
    DLA fraud check
    • 18th Jul 10, 2:43 PM
    DLA fraud check 18th Jul 10 at 2:43 PM
    Hi Has anyone had a letter from DLA stating that " we have received information that puts your entitlement to DLA under suspicion " along with a 6 page review of entitlement pack ??
    I am so amazed and suprised to see it - i have completed the forms and sent them off - after 2 weeks i received a letter stating that they have written to my GP and hospital for information. I have been getting DLA HRM and MRC for the past 11 years and my last renewal was 18 months ago and was awarded as "indefinate".
    Has someone taken it upon themselves to try and challenge me and the DLA as to the validity of my claim ? ie: some sort of jealousy or whatever ? it seems odd that this should occour after my receiving my new and first mobility car !! I am at twos and sixes as to what the results will be - i am of course doing NOTHING illegal and my claim is genuine. Also i have a new GP at one of these "new GP health centers " whom i have only seen a couple of times and am worried as to if he will answer the DLA questions as adequately as my old GP whom had known me for years - i hpoe so. any advice welcome thankyou.
Page 19
  • sunnyone
    I spend my DLA on my car and care, I also have to add more money to pay for my care most weeks.

For example yesterday I wanted to take my grand bubs to the beach (for the first time!) which takes 2 PAs, one for me and one for him and I paid my normal carer her normal rate and my "spare" a pound less per hour because she isnt expected to day personel care, we were out for 4 hours and it was a very expnsive day out that cost much more than my HRC, but it was worth it and we had a great time.

For ordinary people a few hours at the seaside is a very cheap day out but when you are severly disabled you have to plan both the day out and how to pay for the care needed, I would love to be an ordinary nan and able to look after the baby myself but its impossible, I cant look after myself never mind a baby.

Care is expensive for those who need it, most people with disabilities dont pay for care and thats why DLA is going to be changed back to what it was meant for in 1992 and not as it is in 2010 when everybody is disabled and wants DLA.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 3:00 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Care is expensive for those who need it, most people with disabilities dont pay for care.
    Originally posted by sunnyone
    Probably because SS deems them not disabled enough to warrant the care; so they have to get friends or relatives to care for them - which they get no money for and there's not enough DLA fort the disabled person to pay their friend and buy things they need.

SS won't give someone care unless they need a substantial amount of care - whatever that means.

And how do you know most disabled people don't pay for care? Or do you somehow know what ecery disabled spends their DLA on?

My mobility very rarely goes on mobility - I've spend most of the past 2 weeks housebound. Yes, I've gone out once or twice - but that's because I had to.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 29th Jul 10, 3:02 PM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Vicky123

Care is expensive for those who need it, most people with disabilities dont pay for care and thats why DLA is going to be changed back to what it was meant for in 1992 and not as it is in 2010 when everybody is disabled and wants DLA.
    Originally posted by sunnyone
    I don't understand this paragraph, what was it intended for in 1992?
    I am my sons carer and provide all his care needs, never asked for or used respite or paid carers which doesn't come cheap.
    I thought DLA was intended to help whatever arises from a persons disability in our case that would be therapy and not paid care workers or childminders.
    If I had to use all his money on care workers then I would have to put him into a residential placement costing upwards of 200k per year, he will never improve as he will not get the therapy he needs therefore he will be fully dependent on others 24/7 for the rest of his life, using DLA for therapy gives us a good possibility of at least semi independence and therefore less of a burden on society.
    I might add that as his condition is so severe it would be very easy to get him into a residential placement and financially we would be better off also, but that is not what he needs or wants and certainly not what I want. We are using this money to help him become less of a burden using it on care workers will make him more of a burden.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 3:07 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    I am my sons carer and provide all his care needs, never asked for or used respite or paid carers which doesn't come cheap.
    Originally posted by Vicky123
    it's like this for many disabled people - their families provide all the care for them.

I thought DLA was intended to help whatever arises from a persons disability in our case that would be therapy and not paid care workers or childminders.
    It is. For some of us, that's extra washing, heating, medical aids, etc. It says nowhere that DLA has to be spent on care - some of us do need care and also some expensive equipment.
  • karatedragon
    I notice the DLA haters seem to have crawled off.
  • krisskross
    Originally posted by karatedragon
    Well personally I have been otherwise engaged arranging for the GP to come to see my husband as he has a nasty chest infection and is really struggling to breathe. Already been on antibiotics and nebulised salbutamol for a couple of days. Husband has a depressed immune system and gets all manner of infections. Which in turn messes up his diabetic control and means much changing of insulin doses and extra monitoring.

Discussion about hospital admission, doctor wants, husband doesn't. Agreed in the end that with a nurse (me) in 24/7 attendance then he can stay at home with daily GP visits. So perhaps I am worth the 70 a week AA just to keep him out of hospital.

I am not a DLA hater, in fact I am very much in favour of people getting financial help to provide the care they say they need and on which basis the award is made. However if they still do not get the care and manage without it then why do they get the cash?
    Last edited by krisskross; 29-07-2010 at 3:30 PM.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 29th Jul 10, 3:48 PM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Vicky123

I am not a DLA hater, in fact I am very much in favour of people getting financial help to provide the care they say they need and on which basis the award is made. However if they still do not get the care and manage without it then why do they get the cash?
    Originally posted by krisskross
    Have you missed the examples given above?
    We can already get respite care workers, we do it ourselves and pay for therapy as far as I am aware that is within the rules and saving the tax payer money.
  • DX2
    *sniggers* 24/7
    Some of us actually have a life outside MSE shocking stuff hey.
  • krisskross
    Have you missed the examples given above?
    We can already get respite care workers, we do it ourselves and pay for therapy as far as I am aware that is within the rules and saving the tax payer money.
    Your child obviously gets all the care possible and then some. His DLA money is spent on treatment for him.

Surely however you would agree that if you get DLA for him on the basis of the care he needs and then do not provide that care, either yourself or use the money to pay someone for it, then you should not have the money.
    Last edited by krisskross; 29-07-2010 at 4:12 PM.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 29th Jul 10, 4:45 PM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 9,916 Thanks
    Vicky123
    Your child obviously gets all the care possible and then some. His DLA money is spent on treatment for him.

Surely however you would agree that if you get DLA for him on the basis of the care he needs and then do not provide that care, either yourself or use the money to pay someone for it, then you should not have the money.
    I see what your saying but it wouldn't be possible not to provide the care, the only situation I can see that arising in is if the person getting DLA is doing so fraudulently or are exagerrating their needs or in the case of a child the parent is overstating.
  • when will it end

who in there right mind would not look after there disabled child
    Last edited by when will it end; 29-07-2010 at 5:35 PM.
  • cit_k
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karatedragon
    Whether it is true or not I am unsure but I read on a forum that some of the ATOS medical staff are actually doctors that have been struck off.

That would be even more scandal to use at a Tribunal

For those DLA haters - would you like it if your GP was a doctor that had been "struck off"??
    The conspiracy theories abound on here. you and cit-k need to get together. I guarantee it will be a match made in heaven
    Medical services are provided to DWP under contract by Atos Healthcare. Doctors carrying out incapacity benefit (IB) assessments are engaged by Atos Healthcare not Jobcentre Plus. The available information is in the following table.
    Number of doctors carrying out IB assessments who have resigned, retired or whose approval has been revoked
    ...........................2003..........2004..... .....2005..........2006.........2007
    Resigned.................22.............68........ .....93.............65............47
    Retired...................4...............21...... .......13.............8..............6
    Approval revoked.......10..............31.............15... ..........16............7
    They use doctors that have RESIGNED.. RETIRED and even ones who have had THEIR APPROVAL REVOKED.....

They certainly can use doctors who are not licenced to practice medicine at tribunal (fact, the last so called doctor at my last tribunal was not licenced to practice medicine, checked it with the GMC)

and thats if your lucky enough to even get a doctor, for mental health, they use standard nurses quite often.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 5:31 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid

It is not up to you how someone should spend their DLA.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 5:36 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Well personally I have been otherwise engaged arranging for the GP to come to see my husband as he has a nasty chest infection and is really struggling to breathe. Already been on antibiotics and nebulised salbutamol for a couple of days. Husband has a depressed immune system and gets all manner of infections. Which in turn messes up his diabetic control and means much changing of insulin doses and extra monitoring.
    Not being funny or anything, but he really is tha bad, wy is he not in hospital?

However if they still do not get the care and manage without it then why do they get the cash?
    It's not as simple as you make it out to be:
    Some disabled people that they don't hav the energy at all to do things, even if they have help from another person. Even if someone offered to take me out for the day (right now), I wouldn't be able to do that.

And it's not as if DLA is eough for someone to employ another peson (even on minimum wage) to help them.
  • krisskross
    Not being funny or anything, but he really is tha bad, wy is he not in hospital?
    Originally posted by sh1305
    He doesn't want to go. They will mess up all his drugs, he won't have his reclining chair in which he can at least doze with his feet elevated as he can't manage bed. I am here all the time. I am a much higher qualified nurse than he would get in the hospital.

He is immuno suppressed because of the drugs he has for RA. If he got MRSA in hospital he would die. Unless he got to the stage where he needed ventilating he is better off here.
    • davsidipp
    • By davsidipp 29th Jul 10, 6:36 PM
    • 10,996 Posts
    • 33,099 Thanks
    davsidipp
    i dont agree with alot of your posts but have to agree on this one my husband is in the same situation needs a knee op but due to chronic diabeties cannot have op in case of infections to open wound so do agree on thos one.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 6:37 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    He doesn't want to go. They will mess up all his drugs, he won't have his reclining chair in which he can at least doze with his feet elevated as he can't manage bed. I am here all the time. I am a much higher qualified nurse than he would get in the hospital.

He is immuno suppressed because of the drugs he has for RA. If he got MRSA in hospital he would die. Unless he got to the stage where he needed ventilating he is better off here.
    What he wants doesn't matter. My dad had a very bad chest infection about 4-5 years ago. He had no choice but to go into hospital. Thankfully, he was just given medication (they thought it was COPD because of his smoking) and wasn't made to stay in hospital.

And how do you know you're much more qualified nurse than him? The nurses have access to all his medical records - you don't. And I imagine they're more up to date with all the new drugs and other medical help he can be given.
  • Oldernotwiser
    I've been at work!
  • Oldernotwiser
    I see what your saying but it wouldn't be possible not to provide the care, the only situation I can see that arising in is if the person getting DLA is doing so fraudulently or are exagerrating their needs or in the case of a child the parent is overstating.
    Plenty of adults claiming DLA and AA live alone and get no care whatsoever. Don't you think it would be better if they had the care rather than the money?
  • Oldernotwiser

Originally posted by sh1305
    People die in hospitals from infections they get there. It's much better for people in like KK's husband and mine to be looked after at home if they possibly can..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,395Users online

Martin's Twitter