John Lewis broke MY stuff on delivery!

Options
Help!!!! On Feb 12th John Lewis delivered my new bed and mattress, worth £1675, however on delivery the dropped part of it breaking some stone animal figures of mine from Kenya. These were a present from an old women I worked with on an AIDS project, she made them herself.

When I called John Lewis to complain they said the delivery man had asked me to move them and I had refused... This is naturally a total lie, why would I refuse when I could have move them, the fact is he was careless and broke them and is now trying to cover his tracks.

So John Lewis sent someone round to try and fix them, the expect said they were far too damahed and he couldn't do it :( So then they sent someone to collect them for a 'valuation', this bit annoyed me as I never claimed the were valuable only that they really mean a lot to me as the were a gift, the person is now dead and they remind me of a very important time in my life. I haven't heard back from them and don't know what to do at this point.

I understand that John Lewis cannot replace them as the were handmade in Africa! My husband wants me to demand a refund for the bed. What should I do, what are my right? It has been a month and a lot of tears now and I really just want to get it sorted out. I love John Lewis so I am really annoyed that this happened, I am upset the delivery man was careless, never said he was sorry and then tried to blame me!

HELP!!

Comments

• Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    These items seem to be of sentimental value rather than any intrinsic value so I am not sure what you are expecting from John Lewis, money or a apology ?

I see no reason why you should expect a refund for the bed nor do I see any reason they would give one.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • ScattyKatty84
    Options
    Optimist wrote: »
    These items seem to be of sentimental value rather than any intrinsic value so I am not sure what you are expecting from John Lewis, money or a apology ?

I see no reason why you should expect a refund for the bed nor do I see any reason they would give one.

What I wanted in the first place was them to admit it was their fault and say sorry but now I feel I should get some form of compensation. Do you really think it's ok for a company to come into your house and break things you already own and then just leave as if nothing has happened!
  • Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    They have offered to fix the figures, which unfortunately they were unable to do so. There's not a lot more they can do other than offer an apology and at best a voucher for the trouble.

There's no reason why should you recieve a refund for the bed.
  • webtalk
    webtalk Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    By taking teh figures to value it is clear that they're trying to make good their mistake.

JL isn't in the business of ripping people off.

I would suspect that they'll give you a bit of money for the figures. As they can't be replaced the 'value' is very hard to determine as not even £1million can replace a one-off item of high sentimental value.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you had refused to move them, then it would not have given the delivery man the right to break them anyway.
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Fair does, an apology will go a long way to make you feel better BUT as they are sentimental value etc etc what more would you want?

I think a nice apology and a bunch of flowers would be the limit of my thirst for "compensation".
  • webtalk
    webtalk Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    If you had refused to move them, then it would not have given the delivery man the right to break them anyway.
    The OP said that s/he (sounds like a 'she':D) hadn't been asked to move them.

I doubt would be exceedingly surprised if the delivery man thought that he had a right to break them and therefore chose to break them. In fact, I'd be exceedingly surprised if the delivery man chose to break them. And who knows if he was being 'careless' as the OP said - it could well have been an accident. No delivery man in their right mind is going to drop an item of value out of carelessness - enough of those careless mistakes and they'll be out of a job.

This is a classic case of 'he says/she says' - who the heck knows who is right. I had one of these kinds of experiences with JL - received an enormous bunch of flowers a few days after complaining.

I have absolutely no doubt that they will not walk away from this situation without trying to rectify it in some way. In fact, they're already showing goodwill.

OP - give them about a week or 10 days and call them back if you haven't heard from them.
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    Options
    id want my whole house redecorating, new kitchen and a garage
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband wants me to demand a refund for the bed. What should I do, what are my right?

Sorry OP, I do sympathise but your husband is being completely unreasonable and unrealistic with that thought. I suspect you will give the impression of being only money orientated rather than upset over something dear to you.

I'm not sure why a valuer appearing annoyed you? What else was there for them to do if the figures could not be fixed?

Regardless of the lying delivery man, JL don't really have many avenues open to them....they can't replace, they can't repair. They wouldn't consider £1675 a fair settlement for something that is unable to be accurately valued. I think you have to be more realistic in your expectations and I suspect they may send you a goodwill gesture once they have been advised by a valuer.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • ScattyKatty84
    Options
    I really wasn't asked to move them, and am really annoyed that the delivery man lied about it. All I wanted was an apology because what they broke can never be replaced. However, now they have lied to me, said it must be my fault and not responded to my letters or emails I beginning to think that like the first poster, they think because they were only important TO ME, they don't have to care or worry about it.

If when I had first complained they had said sorry I would have let it go, but the first thing they said was that they couldn't take responsibility as the delivery man had said I refused to move them so it was my fault. So when I was upset that 3 things of mine I really cared about were ruined they said it was MY fault. Would anyone else really be thrilled about service like that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure