Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    the thinker
    DLA fraud check
    • 18th Jul 10, 2:43 PM
    DLA fraud check 18th Jul 10 at 2:43 PM
    Hi Has anyone had a letter from DLA stating that " we have received information that puts your entitlement to DLA under suspicion " along with a 6 page review of entitlement pack ??
    I am so amazed and suprised to see it - i have completed the forms and sent them off - after 2 weeks i received a letter stating that they have written to my GP and hospital for information. I have been getting DLA HRM and MRC for the past 11 years and my last renewal was 18 months ago and was awarded as "indefinate".
    Has someone taken it upon themselves to try and challenge me and the DLA as to the validity of my claim ? ie: some sort of jealousy or whatever ? it seems odd that this should occour after my receiving my new and first mobility car !! I am at twos and sixes as to what the results will be - i am of course doing NOTHING illegal and my claim is genuine. Also i have a new GP at one of these "new GP health centers " whom i have only seen a couple of times and am worried as to if he will answer the DLA questions as adequately as my old GP whom had known me for years - i hpoe so. any advice welcome thankyou.
Page 20
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 6:58 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Plenty of adults claiming DLA and AA live alone and get no care whatsoever. Don't you think it would be better if they had the care rather than the money?
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    They do? Many have carers coming in and doing things for them.
    • Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 29th Jul 10, 7:16 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Vicky123
    Plenty of adults claiming DLA and AA live alone and get no care whatsoever. Don't you think it would be better if they had the care rather than the money?
    Originally posted by Oldernotwiser
    I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS, well we have certainly been offered help many times, but I was under the impression that DLA was awarded to help the disabled person do things that they cannot do as a result of their disability and that wouldn't always mean paying carers to come in and do whatever they do.
    Obviously for some it would mean exactly that but not all surely, or have I got that wrong is DLA only to be spent in buying in care workers?
    It's a long time since I filled in the forms but I don't remember anything about it having to be spent on paid care workers and I filled them in myself and had no problems from DWP.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 7:20 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS
    Originally posted by Vicky123
    They only help people with severe care needs. Well, when I lived in London, they did.

Obviously for some it would mean exactly that but not all surely, or have I got that wrong is DLA only to be spent in buying in care workers?
    It's a long time since I filled in the forms but I don't remember anything about it having to be spent on paid care workers and I filled them in myself and had no problems from DWP.
    DLA is meant to be for extra costs due to disability. For some people, this wll be care workers, for others it'll be things like extra washing, water, electric, etc.
  • ash4becks
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vicky123
    I think [emphasise think] everyone is entitled to some care if they are disabled from SS

if only not in my area iam on hrc and they still dont think iam bad enough, when in bad flare walking in the flat is bad enough never might attempting to get in bath

• Vicky123
    • By Vicky123 29th Jul 10, 7:26 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    Vicky123
    They only help people with severe care needs. Well, when I lived in London, they did.

DLA is meant to be for extra costs due to disability. For some people, this wll be care workers, for others it'll be things like extra washing, water, electric, etc.
    Originally posted by sh1305
    OK thanks for that but why are people saying that care should be brought in instead of being given the money?
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 7:27 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    OK thanks for that but why are people saying that care should be brought in instead of being given the money?
    Because apparently, none of us (or very few) spend it on the intended purpose and go without care.
  • ash4becks
    Because apparently, none of us (or very few) spend it on the intended purpose and go without care.
    its not like you sit there and work every little bit out though, with the dust allergy i have all beding etc has to be washed at least once a week, the duvets are the same 10 pound a go, and thats for one thing i bet many on dla dont see what what they always buy as extra cost iam only aware about this because its dangrous to my health otherwise
  • DX2
    its not like you sit there and work every little bit out though, with the dust allergy i have all beding etc has to be washed at least once a week, the duvets are the same 10 pound a go, and thats for one thing i bet many on dla dont see what what they always buy as extra cost iam only aware about this because its dangrous to my health otherwise
    Originally posted by ash4becks
    I think most normal people wash their bedding at least once a week.
  • krisskross
    Because if people are claiming on the grounds that they need care or cannot do things for themselves it just seems odd that they feel no need to actually receive the care or get someone to do whatever they can't do but just struggle on.

Yes once the money has been handed over it is the recipient's to do with as they like but then they should not complain about how it is only a pittance and they are still not getting the care.
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 29th Jul 10, 9:22 PM
    • 21,629 Posts
    • 29,326 Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Yes once the money has been handed over it is the recipient's to do with as they like but then they should not complain about how it is only a pittance and they are still not getting the care.
    Originally posted by krisskross
    To get the lower rate, you need at least one hour of care and you need it for at least 5 days a week. How many people do you know would be willing to work for 3.79 per hour? Many of us also find that we need more than an hour of help. Again, how many people do you know will be willing to work for a couple of pounds per hour?
  • karatedragon
    I used my DLA funded MP3 Player today.

And I now have my DLA funded Bubble Lamp on

I also had my DLA funded cooked meal and pudding too

Just thought I would rub it in for all those dedicated tax payers out there :P You know, the ones that slag DLA claimants while sucking the system of child benefit.
    Last edited by karatedragon; 29-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    • lyniced
    • By lyniced 29th Jul 10, 10:17 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    lyniced
    what is the nature of your disability, if you don't mind me asking?
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
    • Breast Cancer Survivor
    • By Breast Cancer Survivor 29th Jul 10, 10:34 PM
    • 10,055 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    Breast Cancer Survivor

Just thought I would rub it in for all those dedicated tax payers out there :P
    Originally posted by karatedragon
    I'm living in my DLA funded house & it's lovely.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • karatedragon
    I'm living in my DLA funded house & it's lovely.
    Originally posted by Breast Cancer Survivor
    Nice One

Tomorrow I am going to the doctors on my DLA funded magic carpet
    • bertiebat
    • By bertiebat 29th Jul 10, 10:51 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    bertiebat
    what is the nature of your disability, if you don't mind me asking?
    Originally posted by lyniced
    I think karatedragon is afflicted by trollism.
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 30th Jul 10, 12:26 AM
    • 10,665 Posts
    • 60,566 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Well personally I have been otherwise engaged arranging for the GP to come to see my husband as he has a nasty chest infection and is really struggling to breathe. Already been on antibiotics and nebulised salbutamol for a couple of days. Husband has a depressed immune system and gets all manner of infections. Which in turn messes up his diabetic control and means much changing of insulin doses and extra monitoring.

Discussion about hospital admission, doctor wants, husband doesn't. Agreed in the end that with a nurse (me) in 24/7 attendance then he can stay at home with daily GP visits. So perhaps I am worth the 70 a week AA just to keep him out of hospital.

I am not a DLA hater, in fact I am very much in favour of people getting financial help to provide the care they say they need and on which basis the award is made. However if they still do not get the care and manage without it then why do they get the cash?
    Originally posted by krisskross
    You have my sympathy regarding diabetic control and illnesses, been there, done it and got the T shirt (ok, got to know all the different wards and corridors in the big hospital!).....not fun.

Ex hubby had addisons disease and diabetes with a high rate of steroids which depressed his immune system, absolute nightmare when the boys were young and coming home from playgroup/school with tummy bugs, chicken pox etc.

Now we have it with youngest (I really must get out of the habit of saying we, it really is just me), a slight cold that the other two just throw off usually turns into something very serious in youngest...so much so that a silly little cold 18 months ago, almost killed him.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 30th Jul 10, 12:33 AM
    • 10,665 Posts
    • 60,566 Thanks
    SingleSue
    What he wants doesn't matter. My dad had a very bad chest infection about 4-5 years ago. He had no choice but to go into hospital. Thankfully, he was just given medication (they thought it was COPD because of his smoking) and wasn't made to stay in hospital.

And how do you know you're much more qualified nurse than him? The nurses have access to all his medical records - you don't. And I imagine they're more up to date with all the new drugs and other medical help he can be given.
    I'm afraid I agree with krisskross on this one, sometimes you have to take the lesser of two evils and especially so with a patient who has suppressed immunity. At least at home and with krisskross a retired nurse, he has the experience required to deal with him, the medication that is needed at this stage and the peace of mind it is only their two personal bugs..and krisskross will probably be at his side for the whole time (apart from obvious toilet breaks).

In hospital, there are a myriad of different bugs going around, the nurses are not able to give the personal 24 hour, one to one care that krisskross can give and he would not have his usual comfortable surroundings available to be able to rest properly.

I am sure krisskross knows her husband and his body much better than others and will know when it is time for him to go to hospital for much more intensive and intrusive treatment...if she is anything like me, she probably gets the same eeekkk panic feeling when she feels things are going beyond what she is comfortable with.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • Sueinbirmingham
    • By Sueinbirmingham 30th Jul 10, 1:06 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Sueinbirmingham
    Just picking up on the bit about what people spend DLA money on.

Not only is the amount given not sufficient to pay someone to give all the hours help needed, if the help were provided direct, there would be little or no flexibility.

By using my money creatively, I can get more of the care I need. I use part of it to top up my LHA so that I can live a few doors away from a relative who cares for me (I have a severe mental illness) but who is not very mobile, so can't travel a long distance. I use part of it for taxis to friends' houses in a crisis. Better to have someone available 24/7 and accessible thanks to my DLA than to have someone there for a few hours a week who may not be there when I actually need them.

There is another aspect of flexibility that is important. If someone else provides the care, it's likely to be on a regular, pre-booked basis, whereas needs can be variable. By having the cash, a disabled person can spend more some weeks than others, thus making best use of it, and cutting down on waste, thus reducing the need for funding from social services.

DLA does spent on all sorts of things that it's not theoretically intended for, like extra heating and telephone calls to the Samaritans and health care professionals. They're not what the money is meant for, but they help to keep someone out of sheltered accommodation and living (at less cost to the public purse) in the community.

My grandmother lived in an institution. They are expensive. A psychiatric placement can cost as much as 2000/week. By contrast, I live in the community and my care costs a fraction of that. Take away my DLA, and I'll still have the same needs, but you'll have to either abandon me or provide care in some other way, giving you the choice between being inhumane and spending more money.
  • BLT
    To get the lower rate, you need at least one hour of care and you need it for at least 5 days a week. How many people do you know would be willing to work for 3.79 per hour? Many of us also find that we need more than an hour of help. Again, how many people do you know will be willing to work for a couple of pounds per hour?
    Don't you have boy scouts in your area? Has 'bob a job' died out completely?
  • DX2

Just thought I would rub it in for all those dedicated tax payers out there :P You know, the ones that slag DLA claimants while sucking the system of child benefit.
    Originally posted by karatedragon
    That was a really unsuccessful fishing trip.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,862Posts Today

9,742Users online

Martin's Twitter