MeandO's mortgage-free musings

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £25 of diesel in the car last night, as planned.
    £29 spent in home bargains on groceries and household items, paid with the cash from my purse.

I received the £65 from the phone trade in yesterday too. :) I've spent a bit on supplies for DS's birthday and birthday cake, so there's £45 of that left in the account now. I think I'll leave it there for the time being, then split it between the savings and the mortgage if it's still there by payday next week.

Last night I made 5 portions of yummy soup with veg from the fridge that needed using up. I've brought one for lunch, the rest are split between the fridge and freezer at the moment.

I had another rubbish night's sleep last night - it's got to the point where I can't remember when I last slept well, so I feel like I'm running on empty at the moment. :( I've also hurt my back somehow - no idea how or when - but it's painful today and was really sore in the night. I'm hoping a hot bath and paracetamol will help tonight.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03/£2000 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6523.98/£15,000
  • MeandO
    So, I guess I'll be paying any spare cash into the savings after all... just got rumbles that work is in trouble, and I have just lost the option to return full time, I now have to be perm part time. :(:mad::(
  • MeandO
    I completed more surveys last night and this morning, so I'm all up to date with those now.

I've received a refund of £52 to the credit card for the wrong parts I purchased for the bathroom. Thankfully, the company alerted me that X wouldn't fit with Y before they sent it out, so they have sent me a link to the parts I need which have the added bonus of being over £30 cheaper! Great service from this company.

I had already paid the money off the card using the savings, so, once some other items are refunded (which I've chased today), I think I'll accidentally have a positive balance on the credit card. Not to worry, I will order some more of the materials I need for the renovation and it'll soon go... :o:(

I've brought breakfast and lunch into work today and dinner for OH and I tonight is defrosting. DS is with his Dad tonight.

Tomorrow I plan on dropping a couple more bags to the charity shop and clearing them from my spare room. I also want to enquire with a DIY store as to whether I can return the other bathroom item I no longer need. It's still in the packaging, but was a few months since I bought it. It's worth asking, even if a credit note is issued.

Payday is less than a week away and boy, it can't come quick enough. :eek:
  • MeandO
    The weekend goes by so quickly, suddenly it's Monday again. :(

At the weekend, I dropped the bags at the charity shop on Saturday and helped OH take some things to the tip. We listed a few other items on gumtree for him (one being collected tonight) and got rid of loads of cardboard boxes from his attic.
    I returned the last bathroom item to the DIY shop (after checking the day before that they would take it back - it's heavy!) and they refunded £40 onto a card for me. I lost £10 on it as I originally paid £50, but happy to get rid of it as it was taking up space and at least get some money back. The gift card will be used soon enough, I'm sure. :o

I have bought OHs birthday presents now which have been paid for on the credit card, but I have had a refund of £128 credited to it today (which I had to chase :mad:). A few other bits for the house have gone onto the card this weekend too, but the balance shouldn't be so large that it's not difficult to pay off within the next month.

I have a few more surveys to do today and also list a few more things on a fb selling page locally for OH.
    Payday is 3 days away, I am counting the days. This month seems the longest ever, both financially and time wise. :(
  • MeandO
    I had to dash home at lunchtime to accept delivery of the last remaining bits for the bathroom renovation - some cladding panels thingies to cover up the really dodgy tiles in the shower cubicle. :o
    Now I have no excuses not to finish it all off [STRIKE]except I don't know what the heck I'm doing. [/STRIKE]
    I predict a steep learning curve and lots of swearing ahead. :o

I need to get my backside back to the healthy eating again this week. Today is a write off, as was the weekend, but tonight I shall meal plan again. I felt so much better last week for eating well and lost 4lbs in the process. I've probably put that back on after the weekend of eating whatever was quick and easy. :o:(

There is still a 'spare' £27 in my bank account which I'd really like to use as an overpayment, but I'm thinking it may be better to hold on to it until payday... but I do have around £15 in my purse that I can use too... and the temptation to OP is burning a hole in my bank account - think i'll use some of it to make a teensy eensy overpayment to the mortgage now...:D
  • MeandO
    I OP'd it... :D:o;)

New mortgage balance now: £78,062

OP 2018 (£100pm): JAN: £129.26/£100

If I 'find' £62 in the next two days, I know what I'm doing with it! ;):rotfl:
  • MeandO
    I guess i’ve got quite a bit done since getting home from work today, but feeling a bit like I’ve missed out on an evening for some reason... probably because i’ve been fleabaying for a good while tonight. :(
    I’ve listed lots of stuff for OH and also joined a local fb selling page and listed a few bits on there. I’m not entirely hopeful of much shifting tbh, but it would be nice if at least some of it does. OH has had a ridiculous amount of expense the past couple of years (think particularly nasty ex and a court case :() and it show no sign of let up presently. He also needs to get some major work done in his house and the money just isn’t there. :(

Onto other things, I managed to drill one of the two particularly difficult holes in the bathroom that have taken me days to do. I’m drilling through tiles, but it’s proving a real labour. One is finally done though, the other I will try and do tomorrow then I can get on with putting the mirror up and grouting the tiles.

I made a big cheesey/sweet potatoey/beany version of a cottage pie tonight for DS’s and my dinner tomorrow. (Whether DS will eat it or not is another question...:(). There will be at least 2 or 3 portions to freeze too and it’s used up some mince I had in the freezer for ages and some root veg from the bottom of the fridge.

I’ve also started compiling a shopping list to place an online order next week, after payday, and when we really need it, not before. We are going to see my parents this weekend so we won’t need groceries this weekend. Diesel costs on the other hand, will be more than normal as it’s at least a 3 hour drive each way on a good day. :(

The woman who was supposed to be collecting an item tonight rearranged for a later time then nevertheless showed up. :mad: So annoying. I will see if another person who emailed me still wants the item.

Two loads of washing have been done and dried in the tumble dryer. I can’t wait until the weather is nice enough to peg washing out again, it feels like a long time ago since that was possible.
  • MeandO
    edited 23 January 2018 at 3:12PM
    More bad news at work today - more redundancies are in the pipeline. :( It's not my department this time, but still feel bad for those that it does affect.

Not much moneysaving to report, apart from me dipping my toe back into swagbucks today. I have an account from years ago but never really bothered with it that much, however, I've seen some real successes on here so thought it would be worth trying it again. I find it all a bit confusing tbh, even the guide to it on the 'up your income' doesn't seem to sink in easily. :o:eek: I have reached my target for the day though (which wasn't very high to be fair), so I may look into it again later at home.

I need one more survey to earn another £5 Amazon voucher, funnily enough I've been screened out of the three I had today...

Some of OHs items listed on ebay last night sold this morning, so that's around £12 in the pot once fees and postage are accounted for.

I've just been writing down my budget for the coming month.
    I plan to put around £400 into various savings pots this month, which will boost the cofferes somewhat. I should be able to save an extra £100 too, hopefully, as I don't have to pay one bill until the end of March now. I also haven't factored in the council tax savings this month. I am hoping to pay that off the mortgage as an overpayment, but as it's DS's and OH's birthdays this coming month and DS needs new school uniform, I'm not sure how feasible that is.
  • MeandO
    I’ve finally been able to cash in the £5 survey voucher, although i’ve opted for PayPal this time rather than amazon vouchers. This is 25 ‘points’ extra, but I don’t really need the vouchers atm. Think i’ll use it as a little mortgage overpayment which always boosts morale. :)

I’ve grouted the bathroom tonight and put the new mirror up, now a bit bored and not sure what to do with myself. 😔
  • MeandO
    Hopefully I've sold something on a FB selling page for £15 and one of OHs items for £10 - both of which should be collected tonight if the buyers turn up. My £15 will go towards a mortgage OP when I receive it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills